Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 21,034 times

Advertisements

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already ( I did search but didn't find anything)

I like to plan ahead and one of the things I'm looking at is buying a new one ton truck (probably an F350) for our dogs, once we move.

Is there likely to be a large price difference between buying in Fairbanks or ordering one elsewhere and getting it shipped in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 04:23 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
The first place I'd check if you decide to buy up there is craigslist: alaska classifieds

Old 11-30-2007, 04:36 PM

78 posts, read 277,923 times
I have bought 2 vehicles here and 5 or 6 in the lower-48 in the 33+ years we have lived here.

I told a salesman in Soldotna (Hutchins) how much I could get a truck for in Portland then asked it he could match that deal. I was being honest. I feel I owe it to myself and my family to make the most of our hard-earned income.

He gave me his "Keep you money in Alaska" speech. In so-many words he attempted to shame me into buying his truck which was about $7000 more then the same truck in Portland. It would cost me an additional $900 to have it shipped to Anchorage, at that time.

I replied, "I would prefer to keep my money local, and I don't begrudge you making a profit, but I'll be damned if I put your kids through college all by myself!"

I ordered the truck from Carlson Chevrolet in Portland, OR.

When Seekins Ford was in Soldotna I bought 2 trucks from them. They were inline with lower-48 prices with shipping added. (Seekins is gone now)

I have shopped the dealers in Anchorage and Wasilla but have never closed a deal. They have so many scams (dealer markups, winterizing, prep, etc) that I will spend a hundred bucks on phone calls and check all over the country before I sucumb to their pitch.
They are very reluctant to order the vehicle I want. Their attitude seems to be "You will buy what we have on the lot and you will like it."

There is a Cal Worthington dealership in Anchorage. Nuff said? Didn't they run him out of California?

If you have a opportunity to get a good deal in the lower-48 then drive it up, I say, go for it.
If you are in Alaska, I say, get on line and compare the deals. You may be able to match (or even beat) the lower-48 prices. Call the barge companies and check shipping charges just in case the salesman trys to tell you it wll cost 7 grand.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
I bought my Ranger from Seattle and drove it up with a friend. Well worth it buying it down states and driving up. Next truck that I'll buy will be from Idaho, Dave Smith auto sales, they have the best rates going now and fly down and drive it up. I've gone down to the states with my Ranger twice now, once last year and again this past summer.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
The secret to buying a truck outside is making sure it is equipped for Alaskan life styles.

Limited slip rear diffrential.
Tow package
enging block heater (factory installed)
Full sized spare
Heavy duty or High output heater
Airconditioning! Yes I am serious!
Electric door locks and Automatic Transmission (for when you add the autostart) and yes you do want one!
Ipod capable radio for those stretches of radio free zones
Electric seat warmeres are a nice luxury (you wife will love you for them)
4x4
lighted mirrors on the visor so you can pick out the mosquitos or see the frost and ice on your eyelids.
Extended cab so the groceries don't freeze
Fog lights
Some like the spray in bed liners.
Make sure you have lots of leg room for the bunny boots!
Cloth seats (not vynal) are prefered.
You will still have to have oil pan and bettery warmers added when you get here.
Winter front with zipper to adjust extra air inlet. (for warmer cab at -30)

Old 11-30-2007, 11:19 PM

Don't forget a topper! This is near Steamboat in the British Columbia Rockies at the Muskwa
Valley.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 PM

I thought about a topper and I am sure they are resonable outside, but the 4 wheeler doesn't fit too well if I have one on. I liked the ones that were taller in the back than the front and were a bit areodynamic.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:43 PM

I don't have a four wheeler

Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM

Your married. I understand.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:12 AM

Far from married...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska