Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:30 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,118 times

Advertisements

Anchorage, AK Press Release : Cabela's

Last edited by hogfamily; 02-07-2014 at 10:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 12:33 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Look forward to seeing the place!

Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,725 times
I'm looking forward to seeing their place as well.

With Bass coming to Anchorage soon I don't see the demand to support so many stores in this outdoor retail industry. Something's got to give.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
This is just a random thought I had, note that I have no evidence this is true. I do have a business degree, but that isn't my profession or career I chose. So the below could be a bad way to look at things, but here goes.

The outdoor stores could be 'loss leader' stores for the company.

The stores may generate sales elsewhere, as the person buying merchandise in the lower 48 knows that when they go to AK they can get that stuff warrantied out or fixed while in AK on a hunting trip. A lot of people plan and stock up on stuff locally before they head out and look to see if the same store exists where they are going. (Just a thought, may not make that much of a difference).

Marketing will also take advantage of it. Let's say Cabela's closes down. Bass pro would have commercials, we are in XX states, including AK. And Cabela's isn't... I think this is why both are showing up at the same time. Neither one wants to be left out.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:39 PM

Just about everywhere there is a Lowe's you will find a Home Depot.

Cabela's will become a must do destination for folks from bush Alaska just like Costco.

Cabela's has a large Alaska mail order business. I would guess most of those folks will buy in person now.

They should have opened an Anchorage store 25 years ago.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:54 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
I know I'm spending a lot of money here when I go in to Anchorage, I just know it!

Old 02-08-2014, 02:22 PM

My boys will want to live in the camping section.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:29 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
They probably could...

Old 02-09-2014, 07:14 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
This is just a random thought I had, note that I have no evidence this is true. I do have a business degree, but that isn't my profession or career I chose. So the below could be a bad way to look at things, but here goes.

The stores may generate sales elsewhere, as the person buying merchandise in the lower 48 knows that when they go to AK they can get that stuff warrantied out or fixed while in AK on a hunting trip. A lot of people plan and stock up on stuff locally before they head out and look to see if the same store exists where they are going. (Just a thought, may not make that much of a difference).

Marketing will also take advantage of it. Let's say Cabela's closes down. Bass pro would have commercials, we are in XX states, including AK. And Cabela's isn't... I think this is why both are showing up at the same time. Neither one wants to be left out.
I think they will be a good selling store. The cool stuff they have, is what many Alaskans use everyday.

Sportsman Warehouse seems to do well, and they are a much smaller store, but a lot of them.

I can already feel the money getting sucked out of my pocket.....

Old 02-09-2014, 10:08 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

Perhaps, but on the other hand, many chain stores that open in Alaska become the highest producing per capita compared to the rest, and with free shipping to the store for a product one has to order will increase business vs. sitting at home and ordering from the competition.

I have to agree wholeheartedly on the above.

I have not looked a Bass Pro catalouge for some time, but they will certainly need to do alot of tayloring of their in-store merchandise to have a chance compared to what Cabela's has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska