Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:24 AM

339 posts, read 721,894 times

Advertisements

We've driven it 5 times now, and have yet to have the perfect trip, where we're happy with every campground we have stayed at. This year I'm doing more research and compiled a list of favorites, as well as some recommended by others. Here's my list ( ** means we've personally stayed there ). Please add your favorites, or criticize mine!

Sourdough Campground (Tok) **
Dawson's Peak Resort (Teslin, YT) **
Liard River Provincial Park, YT
Northern Rockies Lodge, Muncho Lake, BC
Muncho Lake Provincial Park, BC
Coal River RV, BC **
Tetsa River Regional Park, BC
Sikanni Chief River, BC
Rotary RV Park, Charlie Lake, BC **

BEYOND the highway:
Williamson Provincial Park, Calais, AB
Carson-Pegasus Provincial Park, Woodlands County, AB
Ook Shell Oole, Shelby, MT **

And I should also mention that we are tent camping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:32 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,463,373 times
The only one I stayed at on your list was Northern Rockies Lodge in Muncho lake. We stayed in a cabin, which was about the size of your typical hotel room. Real reason the lodge is even there is for the hunting and fishing trips people take. We needed a place to stay for the night and it was perfect for that. One of the better places we stayed at on whim.

The people running it are nice if you are renting a room from them. They were so nervous we wouldn't like the room because we had two small kids and there was no TV and only a tub, no shower. It was the ONLY room available, the lodge istelf was all booked up. This was in the "summer". You can tell that they don't really like people stopping in that have no plans to stay for the night - I don't blame them as the stuff is there for their guests. Everything is pretty expensive, but that is par for the entire area. If you do stay there you get a discount on fuel that goes from almost unaffordable to just extremely expensive. (It was $1.99/Liter and the discount was to $1.79/Liter for REGULAR) For reference Lake Watson and Fort Nelson were $1.39/liter at the time. Only reason I say this, is that it would be good to stock up on things before you get there. And if you are low wait to stock up until you hit Watson or Nelson.

Unfortunately, I can't help with the tent camping aspect. Some places we did sleep in the truck and converted the inside to beds. I decided to do that instead of buying and bringing a suitable tent for the area. (Florida tents don't cut it up there)

Old 02-11-2014, 02:48 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,297,122 times
Good luck on getting any usefull number of responses in the Alaska forum, Alaskan's do not make a point to travel to Canada for camping excursions. I suggest you post this question to Canadians as they will be familiar with your experiences listed above.

I have been in Alaska for 38 years and have never been to the campground you mention in Tok, and I doubt many of "us" have. Camping is typically a weekend activity for the majority which limits travel time and distances. With Alaska being so large geographically, places like Tok are too far removed for the majority of the population (Anchorage, MatSu, Kenai/Soldotna)on the road system and it has little to offer from a recreational point of view compared to the Fairbanks area and nearby river travel/camping alternatives.

Also, most, and there are many who do this, that have time to cover such distance and have the time to enjojy the area are doing so over many days in the interest of filling thier freezers by means of hunting and fishing.

All that being said, I think you will glean more usefull information in the Canada, and perhaps, Travel forums rather than here.

However, I could be wrong.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,603,988 times
When I make the drive between here and the lower 48 I seldom stay in a campground. Never taken a tent. Just seems like a lot of hassle to set it up and take it down. I have a pickup truck with a camper shell on the back. I'll usually just pull into a rest area and crawl into the back for a few hours. Otherwise I know where the cheap hotels are on the drive and I'll just stay there.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:18 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,919,273 times
Like AK76 said, most of us that do travel through Canada, camping isn't in our minds. Out of all the 18 trips I've done, I've only camped once in a tent. I'm on vacation when I drive, so I like to sleep on a hotel/motel bed and shower in the morning before continuing on the drive. But there are a whole lot of campgrounds that have wifi access available to the guests.

Alaska Highway: Alcan Highway Campgrounds Alaska.com

The Alaska Highway

A Guide to the Alaska Highway (Alcan) - ExploreNorth

Old 02-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Funny you are are mentioning this as I was sorta wondering the same thing. I also thought about buying a tent for the back of my truck so I could sleep off the ground -- but by the time I buy everything I would want/need, I can just stay in a hotel and have a nice hot shower in the morning. And sometimes even a "continental breakfast" to at least get us to lunch. When 4 of us go, getting a "free" breakfast pays for almost half the room if we were to go to a sit-down breakfast place. I eat cheap, but not everyone else does.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM

339 posts, read 721,894 times
Interesting you say not many Alaskans travel out of state much. I am in fact an Alaskan, and many of my friends have done the trip numerous times. That may be in part that most of these friends are teachers with summers off, which lends itself to more traveling.

Sleeping in the back of the vehicle is not an option with 2 humans & 2 dogs in a small Subaru Forrester We typically spend less on our 6 nights of camping combined than we would spend at just 1 or 2 hotels.

Thank you for the Northern Rockies lodge info. I will post to the Canada forum and see what I get.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Good luck and happy camping along the way.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:45 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,297,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
Interesting you say not many Alaskans travel out of state much. I am in fact an Alaskan, and many of my friends have done the trip numerous times. That may be in part that most of these friends are teachers with summers off, which lends itself to more traveling.

Sleeping in the back of the vehicle is not an option with 2 humans & 2 dogs in a small Subaru Forrester We typically spend less on our 6 nights of camping combined than we would spend at just 1 or 2 hotels.

Thank you for the Northern Rockies lodge info. I will post to the Canada forum and see what I get.
I am guessing you are directing that at me? I did not say that "not many Alaskans travel out of state much". What I did say was;
Quote:
Alaskan's do not make a point to travel to Canada for camping excursions.
And,
Quote:
Camping is typically a weekend activity for the majority which limits travel time and distances.
Which I believe is true, and offered as reasoning for posing your question in places I thought would be more helpful to you.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,250,648 times
My favorite campground of the trip was up by the glacier in Banff NP but it was out of the way and pricey if you're just traveling. Incredible though. Off the road I would say Sheep Creek south of Grandee Prairie. I didn't drive the most direct route specifically for the purpose of finding nice campgrounds (and some altitude to keep the heat down). The Glacier Highway through Jasper and Banff NP's was an awesome drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska