U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM

35 posts, read 96,363 times

Advertisements

I'm entertaining the idea of moving to Alaska later this year, or next.

I'd be working out of Anchorage - I've been there before and know the area fairly well but I was put up at a hotel by the company I was working for at the time.

Long story short but basically, I'd be moving up there without any possessions; not even a car. Are there some furnished apartments available? I'm looking for something in the $1500/month range, so nothing fancy. Also, do the extended stay america hotels work with you on the rate if you commit to being there long-term? And if I did that, is it possible to use that as a permanent address and get an AK driver's license?

Last question: is leasing a vehicle up there feasible? How much does it usually run?
I'm just trying to figure out how much I need to save up before being able to move.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 06:40 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,691,220 times
Seeing as how we are contemplating moving to Anchorage I can answer some of these questions.

Yes you can use an extended stay hotel address for your license and you can get car insurance with that address. Yes if you commit to long term rental there are some price breaks. I found one that was by the airport and by the month it worked out to $50 a day. Nothing fancy and got mediocre reviews. I can't tell you about the area because that I do not know anything about that yet. Going by the published crime maps from MOA it does not look to be that great though.

Sorry I cannot help more -

Old 02-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Well that's very helpful, actually, for a start. Can you say the name of the hotel? I stayed in that area of Anchorage before and although it's not the best part of town, it's not that bad, either. (As long as the hotel you're talking about isn't the Spenard Motel)

Old 02-18-2014, 07:46 PM

It was not the Spenard Motel.... Long House Alaskan Hotel was the cheapest at $45/night. And there is an Extended Stay America in Downtown that is $65 a night. I think when you book the taxes add $5 a night to those rates. FWIW, I used Kayak.com and looked at March 1 thru April 2nd. If anyone has any information about either, please share. I am shooting in the dark here for a temporary hotels as well.

AK law says you have 10 days if you are employed in Alaska to get an Alaska DL - so that means the hotel is your address. If you move somewhere else or to another hotel you get to change that address too... Fun times if you move around a lot.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM

995 posts, read 837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I think when you book the taxes add $5 a night to those rates.
When I rented a car in Juneau the taxes were ~20% of the rental fee. Definitely account for the taxes when planning your expenses.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 PM

$5 added was for the room - not the car...

20% you got lucky. When I looked at renting a car, it was $12 a day for the rental and $13 a day in taxes... Kayak can help with that and Dollar has an off airport site rental agency that the taxes are lower in. Sometimes it works out better and sometimes not. I do the same thing in Miami. I know where the off-site rental companies are and the taxes are cheaper, because you are not counted as a "tourist" so no "tourist" taxes. So for a long term rental - the cab ride might be worth it.

Still at $25 a day for a small car it is still $750 - $775 a month. (30 or 31 X $25). And you would be lucky to get a Focus for that.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM

Ok thanks -

Well I was hoping to lease a car or SUV, not rent.. because I know in the summer (from being there) the rentals are *INSANE* and that's IF you can even find a rental at all.

The Spenard Motel reference was kind of a joke and I'm glad you're not staying there lol.. let's just say if you want the most run-down motel with hookers and crack, that's your place. But the rates are good!! LOL.

I'm still several months away from being able to make this a reality; I'm still hoping to find a furnished apartment however the only few I found were too high rent and wanted a verifiable income of greater than what I'd be making initially (not a lot greater, maybe a couple hundred bucks difference)

I've always wanted to live in Alaska, but I only want to do it "my way" - meaning, if I'm going to be there, I want to be able to afford to get out and about and travel; not be stuck riding the bus around Anchorage for my entertainment!

Did that hotel you mentioned require an up front payment for a full month or 2 to secure the rate? I know the Extended Stay in Fairbanks has an ad on craigslist offering $50/night for long-term but I think you have to pay at least a month, maybe 2, to secure it; and I know from being there a couple years ago that during the summer at least, that hotel goes for $120/night, so it's clearly a great deal.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:09 AM

IIRC, for the rates I quoted you via Kayak, you would pay it all at once, when you got there. So I am not so sure I would be reserving 6-months first thing. Might be best to call them to see how that works. Once we get a firm date to move I was going to do that as well. Some extended stay type hotels want you to pay weekly, which is fine. As long as I get the good rate. The thing is, we want to move out of a Hotel as soon as we research the area and find a "real" place. We are not really into Hotel living, but going by what people say here on the forum you need to be IN Anchorage and looking AT the place you want to rent - don't do anything without being there. It isn't like we really were not planning on doing that anyway - it just further cements that in my mind.

So far, Alaska has been different in almost everything I research - so I am sure that 1-week at a time doesn't work there.

BTW - I knew what you meant about a car, but I wanted to address JDHPA's post. Be careful with a lease - things are spread out and you may blow through your mileage alotment quick.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Yeah if you reserve through Kayak it's all at once; however then you have to make sure the next month you can do it again thru Kayak because the hotels normally won't honor the Kayak rate.
But long-term discounted rates, I'd think they'd want at least a month up front to show you're serious and then maybe let you go week to week…

Also, if you stay at a hotel for 30 straight days, I believe you're considered a resident and the room tax is dropped.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Yeah if you reserve through Kayak it's all at once; however then you have to make sure the next month you can do it again thru Kayak because the hotels normally won't honor the Kayak rate.
But long-term discounted rates, I'd think they'd want at least a month up front to show you're serious and then maybe let you go week to week…

Also, if you stay at a hotel for 30 straight days, I believe you're considered a resident and the room tax is dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska