Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
There are 21 1st class cities and 112 2nd class cities in Alaska.

http://commerce.alaska.gov/dnn/Porta...b/Homerule.pdf
Which just goes to show that you can call anything a "city" these days and get away with it.

The City of Nenana with a population of 348? Please.

Clearly a case of population envy if I ever saw one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 08:57 PM

623 posts, read 957,488 times
Haines
Homer
Juneau
Sitka
Skagway

Old 02-24-2014, 12:06 AM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbluebear View Post
I think:

1.) Fairbanks
2.) Juneau
3.) Valdez
4.) Homer
5.) Barrow
I have to laugh.. Fairbanks is the only one on your list I would call a city as defined by the outside and that's even a stretch.

Sitka is very beautiful as is Homer.. The view before you drop down into town is stunning regardless of the weather.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:15 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I have to laugh.. Fairbanks is the only one on your list I would call a city as defined by the outside and that's even a stretch.

Sitka is very beautiful as is Homer.. The view before you drop down into town is stunning regardless of the weather.
I laugh at what the outside thinks a "city" is. More often then not their ideas relate to concrete jungles and urban cesspools. I've been to New York City a number of times. Others think it's so beautiful. All I saw were mice trapped in a maze. Anchorage is too big for my liking but at least from here I can see the exits to the maze.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
I'd like to know who has seen/been to all or at least most of the cities in AK?
I've been to all the "Cities" in Alaska, which by the lower 48 standards would just be Anchorage, and that would make a smaller town down South. I live up towards Fairbanks, but that only has about 31,000+- unless you count the North Star Borough, then it is about 78,000+- or so, and would make a really small town by lower 48 standards.

But I have been to just about all of the smaller towns in Alaska, with the exception of two major ones out on the West Coast of Alaska, and they only have a few thousand people there.

So for the OP's question, that would only be Anchorage as far as "Cities", but there are a lot of really pretty places in Alaska that may only have a handfull of people living there if not none at all. But for the sake of the thread, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau and Ketchikan are about the biggest Cities in Alaska. The Wasilla area is growing fast, but really isn't a town in that sense, but you have Sitka, Kodiak, Behtel, Barrow, Dillingham and the Kenai area, all of which I like a lot for different reasons.

IF you look at a map of Alaska, it shows "Cities" all over the place, but most of those have maybe a few hundred or less, in some cases, nobody. They had to do something to make it look populated when they drew up the map...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I laugh at what the outside thinks a "city" is. More often then not their ideas relate to concrete jungles and urban cesspools. I've been to New York City a number of times. Others think it's so beautiful. All I saw were mice trapped in a maze. Anchorage is too big for my liking but at least from here I can see the exits to the maze.
I used to live in the town of Fremont, NE. It had a population about 32,000 at the time, about the same size as Fairbanks and Juneau. I will grant you that Fairbanks and Juneau may qualify as a city, barely, but you will never convince me that anyplace with a population of less than 500 qualifies as a "city." A village or a very small town possibly, but to call it a city is laughable.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:26 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Funny, we have "cities" here that have several thousand or less. But you think of them as a city since they are surrounded by other cities. In other words it is a contiguous concrete jungle.... And unless you see a sign you'd never know where one started and the other ended.

I like Stiffnecked's comment about Anchorage and at least being able to see the exits to the maze.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:27 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
I like Stiffnecked's comment about Anchorage and at least being able to see the exits to the maze.

That would be the Glenn Highway Northbound and the Seward Highway Southbound, with the Maze in the middle!

Old 02-25-2014, 11:23 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
What about the Ocean to the West?

Old 02-25-2014, 01:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
What about the Ocean to the West?

Maybe after 200 miles going South on Cook Inlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska