U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2006, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 18,516 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to Valdez in December. I've been reading this forum & have read the recent threads about driving the AlCan in the winter. I have several questions I hope ya'll can help me with.

I have a Prius-not exactly a 4wd but extremely fuel efficient. Does anyone know if the cold is a problem for hybrid vehicles?

One option for me (living in WA state) would be to take the ferry to Haines then drive from there. What is that road like in the winter? Are there gas stations open along that route in the winter? How long should I anticipate it taking from Haines to Valdez?

Are there reasonable ways to ship a car? I moved from Kodiak in the early 70's the we shipped a car but I'm clueless how we did that.

How does the weather in Valdez compare to Kodiak? From what I can find it looks like it gets a lot more snow but isn't much colder, is this correct?

Would it be possible to live without a car in Valdez for a few months? Perhaps fly up, then drive my car up in the summer?

I'm excited about possibly getting back to AK. I loved living there & Valdez has the advantage of not being an Island.

Another question: what is the current environmental impact of the pipeline terminal on Valdez? I know about the oil spill, just wondering what things are like now.

Sorry for all the questions at once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska