U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 08:36 PM

9 posts, read 10,297 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,new guy here,first post so take it easy on the newbie.I was able to land a job working for petersburg fisheries (Icicle) last year in july,Im originally from Florida and surprisingly i adjusted quite quickly to the AK weather.

Anyway,though menial and grueling to some,working in Alaska is easily the most positive memorable experience iv'e had in my nearly 23 years of life on this earth.

My experience however was shortlived,during my first month i had a close relative back in fl in the intensive care unit,and 2 weeks later unfortunately passed away."Mind you this happened after i arrived in AK".

My dilema is,i want to finish what i started,i applied with icicle again for 2014,only for them to tell me i wasn't eligible for rehire because i didn't complete the season.

Fine i said,i recently applied to trident,drove to miami for an interview "about 320 miles from ocala",interview was fairly straightforward,and was told i'd recieve an email informing me if i got the job or not.

Still waiting lol,im starting to think this icicle thing leaving early and all,is beginning to hunt me.It's all ive been able to think of!,perhaps its my ocd nature.

I want to leave florida ASAP,I already have most of my gear,and if i dont hear anything within maybe 30 days from the companies ive applied to,im lacing it up and hightailing it to Alaska!!! Im determined to work the spring,summer,and winter seasons this year.

If anyone knows of a company that's easy to get on with,or if you have friends or contacts that could hire me,id be very thankful,and would'nt require a company to fly me there or back.

Fingers Crossed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,304,943 times
Employment

Old 03-10-2014, 01:23 AM

Yea,iv'e read unisea in dutch is a sure bet,however upon clicking the link they were only accepting applications for the A season,which was october of last year,need something a bit more concrete,but thanks for chiming in.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Do your own research, find your own job. That is all.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:04 PM

228 posts, read 236,246 times
Herring roe season going to start in Sitka real soon but haven't seen any postings on the local boards around town for help. There are a couple processors here that always seem to need help during the spring/summer. Met a couple young fellows on the ferry last year that have never been here and got on at one of them. Not the wisest thing to do though in my opinion and I don't know much about working in processing..we just fish and hunt for ourselves.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 PM

@Metlakatla,Very informative post,wish i would have thought of that.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:23 PM

@rntim,spring/summer isn't here yet,maybe thats why i have'nt been offered a job yet,many companies are recruiting at the moment,they just dont seem to be recruiting me lol.

The fight continues,if push comes to shove come late may,i'll head to either sitka,kodiak,the kove,or dutch,not the smartest thing to do without a job lined up before i arrive i know,but you gotta do what you gotta do.Thanks man.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM

228 posts, read 236,246 times
Holeshot--they are predicting around the 25th of March for the herring roe season to start. Silver bay seafood 907-747-7996, Sitka sound seafoods 907-747-6662. The weather is just like Petersburg now--lots of rain and temps are suppose to get lower 40's during the day like next week. Its 38 and raining at 11:39 my time right now.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
This thread explains why I will never waste my time providing posters with information about the seafood industry again:

What does it take to become a deckhand in the Alaskan fishing business?

Old 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM

@Metlakatla.though i could imagine one getting tired of answering the same old questions,my situation is totally different.

I have NO INTEREST in securing work as a deckhand or getting on any boat for that matter,i just want to work the canneries,something ive done before,but having difficulty getting my foot in the door this go around.

No need to research what i already know,for most canneries there seem to be 2 ways to be employed by them,the first would be to attend a recruiting event,"already did that with trident" this year,the second if your lucky you'll be given a phone interview,did that with icicle and the process was painless.

Ive narrowed my options down to flying to seattle or anchorange and attend as many recruiting events as possible,or flying or taking a ferry to the towns mentioned in my last post in hopes of securing work.

Filling out apps is something ive been doing since the winter season of last year,however when noone responds its quite tough to sit idle when you live in florida.

No pun,but i need help and advice not judgement,thats why im here.

Thanks for reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska