Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM

284 posts, read 404,979 times

Advertisements

So, the missus doesn't want to pack the 12 gauge anymore for bear protection as its just getting heavy for her. She is 4'11'' and really is not liking the kick she gets when pulling the trigger. She wont touch my 300 mag! I was thinking about a 44mag with a 4 inch ported barrel and shoulder holster. Any thoughts out there? I'm also thinking standard 240 grain hollow points aren't probably the best bullet for bear protection. She likes walking the trails here with our dog and as of yesterday, we've had a bear sighting. That's not so good and a little early--no food around yet for them.
We are both hunters--but not bear hunters. The last bear I shot was like back in 1991 and never had much use for a handgun. Any informative feedback or suggestions appreciated. Yeah, bear spray is great but I'm talking gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
The Smith & Wesson model 329 with a 4" barrel. Lightweight and could easily be carried in a chest holster. 300 grain hard cast core bullets. I don't like relying on shotguns as it seems when you might need it you've laid it it down somewhere else cause you got tired of carrying it.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:20 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,118 times
This is for your wife.

This advice comes from and old time retired Denali National Park ranger...

All she needs is a .22, running shoes, and a hiking partner.

If she has a bear confrontation, she shoots her hiking partner in the knee and...RUN!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 PM

Thanks stiffnecked and haha hogfamiily!

Old 03-06-2014, 07:51 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
This is for your wife.

This advice comes from and old time retired Denali National Park ranger...

All she needs is a .22, running shoes, and a hiking partner.

If she has a bear confrontation, she shoots her hiking partner in the knee and...RUN!
Yep. Don't have to beat the bear, just the person next to you.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 PM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
And the bear will likely chase the fleeing prey rather than the one laying there on the ground.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
And the bear will likely chase the fleeing prey rather than the one laying there on the ground.
Isn't that the truth. That's what I always tell people hiking with me if a bear comes after us. Run, bubba, run!!!

Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM

Ya, theres a thousand bear jokes out there! I've had 2 close encounters with a griz and what a rush to put it lightly! I don't jog or run--would probably drop dead if I did and that would solve the whole problem! But I would like to give the missus a fightin' chance if it came down to it!

Last edited by rntim; 03-07-2014 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 03-07-2014, 12:16 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
I would suggest reposting in the CityData gun forum site. Posters there can proper suggest proper caliber and firearms with minimal recoil characteristics. Maybe request the mods move it?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/

Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
So, the missus doesn't want to pack the 12 gauge anymore for bear protection as its just getting heavy for her. She is 4'11'' and really is not liking the kick she gets when pulling the trigger. She wont touch my 300 mag! I was thinking about a 44mag with a 4 inch ported barrel and shoulder holster. Any thoughts out there? I'm also thinking standard 240 grain hollow points aren't probably the best bullet for bear protection. She likes walking the trails here with our dog and as of yesterday, we've had a bear sighting. That's not so good and a little early--no food around yet for them.
We are both hunters--but not bear hunters. The last bear I shot was like back in 1991 and never had much use for a handgun. Any informative feedback or suggestions appreciated. Yeah, bear spray is great but I'm talking gun.

A revolver in a .454 Casull

You can shoot real low power cowboy ammo (.44 long colt) out of it to get acclimated to the handgun. Then load it up with some ++P ammo for bear.

My .454 Casull is a Ruger Super Redhawlk. I know you can get it in a smaller revolver too... But, if you do I would not have her shoot full loads. Even the larger size super redhawk is punishing. Nasty sharp kick.

Another serious option to consider is pepper spray... Likely stop a bear better than a bullet anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska