U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:13 AM

384 posts, read 857,662 times

Advertisements

There are currently two legislative bills to require licensing of massage therapists in Alaska that will have significant impact on massage therapists. If you know massage therapists, especially in rural areas, would you please share this information with them.

Many massage therapists (especially part time) no longer belong to national associations and therefore may not have a "communication chain" or a means to be informed about legislation that will impact their ability to pracice and their livelihood.

The legislation was "shopped" to the legislature by a lobbyist working for a well organized group, and this effort is further backed by an outside national association. The legislative offices are hearing mostly from members of this extremely well organized group and are assuming that almost all massage therapists are for it.

Licensing will require fees to cover the cost of regulation (estimated $460 every two years), CEU's requirements to be met, and prohibition on calling yourself a massage therapist (or anything similar) or practicing unless licensed by the state - and other requirements.

Some therapists are motiviated by the belief that licensing may allow them to collect insurance (and hence raise rates). To some degree, this may be true depending upon the health care provider terms; it may change though when health plans are renegotiated for reduced costs.

I would be glad to provide additonal factual information (there is a lot of mis-informaiton and a lack of comprehension of the meaning of the bill language - even in the leg offices) to anyone interested. Mostly, I want any impacted party to be aware these bills are occurring, ensure they have salient information to form a positon on the bill, and be able to voice their opiniion to the legislature.

I am glad my second home is Vermont - they seem to be one of the only states immune to national associations marketing their agenda ... with Vermonts recommendation simply saying " ....proponents of regulation had not shown a " real and recognizable" harm being done to the public that would be remedied by regulation." Sounds like a good litmus test to prevent excessive government regulation to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 04:32 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,675,876 times
I'm a nurse. I can't call myself a nurse or practice as one without a license. I have to pay to renew my license every two years and to do so I have to have CEUs.

How is this an issue for massage therapists?

If someone is doing something to me that has the potential to cause lasting harm then I want to know they're properly trained and licensed and keeping up on changes in their field.

Sorry but I don't see what your issue is here.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:46 AM

It's very good that you are fine with your own situation. I would feel more vulnerable if a massage therapist gave shots, assisted with procedures into bodily parts or open wounds or surgery, or administered medicine, or incorporated vast technology changes into treatment. In contrast massage has far less potential for harm and the changes in the field are minimial. Everyone has a different take on things and I'm happy with mine... I think Vermont's assessment is spot on.

Regardless of position on the bills - I support that good law making includes sufficient representation from the vast geographic spanse in AK .. rather than mostly Anchorage and Juneau. And,I support that people are aware before rather than after a law goes into effect.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:02 AM

3,360 posts, read 3,284,218 times
Get over it. You want to be a professional, pay for licensing. Every other health professional is licensed.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Oh my - not quite true at all. Thirty eight occupations require licenses - volumes more do not.

Perhaps most misunderstood - Licensing an occupation does not make one a professional.

There are different views and needs - there is room for open discussion, and considered thought, on all of them - without slamming the individual.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 AM

20,471 posts, read 26,605,434 times
Who cares? I agree with Wynternight. Now go away. It sounds like you're just too cheap to want to pay the fees. Boo hoo.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-15-2014 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-15-2014, 11:39 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,709,924 times
I respect your thoughts and opinion on the matter, but here is the take from someone who is not in this field and would be more of a customer.

What makes one a professional and how can I tell the difference between a professional and a non-professional masseuse? Saying you are and the person down the street doesn't cut it either. Even though you went to school and studied to be a professional and the other person watched a tv show and decided to just do it...

Licensing and/or professional associations have rules and regs that dictate who can be a member. It sets standards that one must follow to be able to call themselves something.

I am not naive' either - I realize this is more about money and control that anything else. But there are positives in my eyes as a potential customer.

If I wanted to be known as a professional, this is a way to get the wannabe's that took short cuts out of my "profession".

Just my .02.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:18 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,675,876 times
Anyone providing professional medical services needs to be licensed and regulated. End of story. If I walk into a spa or massage therapist's office and don't see a license I walk out.

CEUs are fundamental ways to keep up one's knowledge base. Why anyone would rail against continuing education is beyond me.

What's to stop me from opening some storefront office somewhere and start charging for massages based on the fact that I get one once a week and feel I've learned enough from that? Never mind the fact that you can hurt people if you aren't trained properly.

I guarantee you this is in response to the massive sweeps of massage parlors that were nothing more than fronts for prostitution in Anchorage last year. Requiring real therapists to adhere to evidence-based practice is a GOOD IDEA.

You wants to practice you pays your dues. If you don't fancy that in Alaska then stick to Vermont until such time as they take a look at massage and make the same decisions Alaska is.

Last edited by Wynternight; 03-15-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,546,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
It's very good that you are fine with your own situation. I would feel more vulnerable if a massage therapist gave shots, assisted with procedures into bodily parts or open wounds or surgery, or administered medicine, or incorporated vast technology changes into treatment. In contrast massage has far less potential for harm and the changes in the field are minimial. Everyone has a different take on things and I'm happy with mine... I think Vermont's assessment is spot on.

Regardless of position on the bills - I support that good law making includes sufficient representation from the vast geographic spanse in AK .. rather than mostly Anchorage and Juneau. And,I support that people are aware before rather than after a law goes into effect.
Speech therapists are licensed, as are occupational therapists, physiotherapists, recreational therapists, etc.
If you dont wan't to pay for a license, don't call yourself a therapist.
Might as well open up a storefront with glittery neon lights..."Massages By Pretty Asian Ladies! Happy Endings Included!"

Last edited by weltschmerz; 03-15-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,709,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Speech therapists are licensed, as are occupational therapists, physiotherapists, recreational therapists, etc.
If you dont wan't to pay for a license, don't call yourself a therapist.
Might as well open up a storefront with glittery neon lights..."Massages By Pretty Asian Ladies! Happy Endings Included!"
You'd get more attention than you probably want from the authorities that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska