Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 08:44 PM

8 posts, read 18,485 times

Advertisements

My husband has a potential job offer at Fort Greely, so we would be looking at places in Delta Junction. We've done some research and realize we're in for a bit of a culture shock considering we've only ever lived in big cities or suburbs of big cities...with all the luxuries and conveniences that come with it. I have some concerns, however. Assuming he is offered the position, I want to be sure that this is the right move for us before he accepts. I've browsed the forums here and everything I found was from 2008-2009, so it's a bit outdated. A lot can change in that amount of time.

1. Is this a "growing" area? I am a clinical laboratory scientist, and it is absolutely critical that I am able to work in my career field. I understand that there is one clinic, but not sure if there is actual lab work or if all that stuff gets sent out to a larger metropolitan area such as Fairbanks. Is it feasible to commute to Fairbanks for work?

2. Is there a good, experienced veterinarian in the area? I have a ferret with "special needs" (ie: she has cancer and requires specialized veterinary care with access to her existing medications.) We are not willing to move somewhere that she will be deprived of the care she needs, nor are we willing to put her life in the hands of someone who is inexperienced in exotic veterinary medicine. We would be willing to drive to Fairbanks to get her appropriate care as needed.

3. How is the internet situation? Husband and I are avid gamers (mostly World of Warcraft), and as such, require high speed internet. You can't really game on a dial up connection.

4. How is the rental market? I've looked at the Delta News website and it looks sparse, to say the least. We would not be interested in living in a 'remote' location (I know, I know. Delta Junction IS remote.. but we would at least like to be located in whatever small town there is in the area.)

5. Is this area safe to live in? (In terms of crime, wildlife, etc)

6. In the event that I am unable to find work, is it doable to live here with only one income? My husband will be working on a missile defense project at Fort Greely, so the pay is decent. However, I'm not sure how decent it really is when you consider the increased cost of living in Alaska.

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,849,289 times
As I have only traveled through Delta Junction this is the best I could do.

City of Delta Junction ~ Home Page

The Delta News Web -- Facts, News, Opinions and More from Delta Junction, Alaska

Delta Junction Alaska Real Estate

Delta Wind : What's Happening in the Friendly Frontier at the End of the Alaska Highway

Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 AM

2,792 posts, read 5,565,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesforthedead View Post
1. Is this a "growing" area? I am a clinical laboratory scientist, and it is absolutely critical that I am able to work in my career field. I understand that there is one clinic, but not sure if there is actual lab work or if all that stuff gets sent out to a larger metropolitan area such as Fairbanks. Is it feasible to commute to Fairbanks for work?
Fairbanks is 95 miles away. It would be almost a two hour drive each way. And the clinic in Delta wouldn't be doing it's own lab work.
https://goo.gl/maps/Rp7nJ

2. Is there a good, experienced veterinarian in the area?
Fairbanks would be your nearest vet.

5. Is this area safe to live in? (In terms of crime, wildlife, etc)
It's as safe as anywhere else.

6. In the event that I am unable to find work, is it doable to live here with only one income? My husband will be working on a missile defense project at Fort Greely, so the pay is decent. However, I'm not sure how decent it really is when you consider the increased cost of living in Alaska.
Cost of living is definitely high. Whether you can make it on one income depends on your lifestyle and your husband's pay.

Thanks all.
My answers are above in red. Not to be mean, but I don't think this is the move for you. Unless you are willing to base yourself in Fairbanks and your husband can come home on the weekends.

Before you make any decision, you should come up for a visit so you can see for yourself how things are.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:03 AM

2,792 posts, read 5,565,978 times
Here's the contact info for the clinic: City of Delta Junction, Alaska
Maybe call them and see what they are all about.

There's also a clinic on base. I'd check with them too: Fort Greely, Alaska

Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
One hell of a commute.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 AM

863 posts, read 2,064,025 times
I've lived in Delta since 2009 and have made several posts about the town that you should be able to find scanning through my history.

1. Delta has done relatively well economically since they reopened the army base. Otherwise, economic drivers are agriculture, Pogo Gold Mine, and a few pipeline jobs. The Alaska Railroad is slowly expanding in this direction, and a proposed natural gas pipeline would probably go through town, following the oil pipeline. These are all good signs for growth. As of very recently, there are now two clinics in Delta. The older once DOES do lab work; not sure about the newer one. Unfortunately, the new clinic opened largely because the old one has such a bad reputation...

2. There is a veterinarian (possibly more than one) in Delta. My wife and I don't have pets though, so I'm not sure how good they are.

3. Internet is likely to be an issue. As long as you're in the "city limits," you should be alright. They're up to 5m DSL now I think. Be aware that the majority of the homes in the area are outside the city limits though. The internet is a patchwork of 1-5m DSL, with often overloaded 3 or 4G mifi filling in the gaps. It's a lot better than it was a few years ago, but keeping up with internet speeds is really hard with a small, spread out population.

4. Rentals are a little tough, but again, it's simply because it's a very small town. Be flexible, and if you have to rent a place that's far from perfect, try to get a short lease, and just wait for a better one to pop up. It took me most of a year to find myself in a place I really liked. For a small standard home, you're probably looking at $800 - $1200/month + utilities. deltanewsweb is a good place to check. Also see the Delta Wind's website. Occasionally you'll see Delta rentals on the Fairbanks craigslist, but not usually.

5. Bad neighbors are possible anywhere... But generally yes, Delta is a very safe place to live. Coming from a big city background though, you're likely to get a strong Deliverance vibe from much of Delta. Cue the banjos... For example, hearing gunshots doesn't imply gang violence, just people off having fun target shooting in a gravel pit. For wildlife, you do have to watch out for moose when driving, but the major roads have the brush cleared wide. I've never heard of any bear problems right in town. For the most part, that's more of an issue down on the coast.

6. It's all very subjective, but I'd say a young couple without dependents or much debt could be alright on 50k/year here. That's living a reasonably normal life, but without luxuries.

Trying to read between the lines and determine the vibe of your post - this honestly doesn't sound like the place for you. The people who move here who don't SPECIFICALLY want to relocate to a remote location with lots of open space around them tend to be very miserable and don't stay long. The winters are bitterly cold and dark, it's very often windy (20 degrees with 40mph gusts outside at the moment), and the place isn't exactly warm socially either. The people are friendly, straightforward, extremely honest and ethical, but you might not guess all that at first. This isn't really a close knit small town - it's more of a region where you can have a job and a grocery store, but live off in the woods by yourself and not be bothered. If you're in the 18-30 age bracket, be aware that there's few others around who are your age. Don't get me wrong - I love it and a lot of other people do too, but be warned that it's an unusual place. Visit first (preferably in winter) if at all possible.

Ah almost forgot, been getting all fancy with flickr here recently. Some of my photos from the Delta area: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1186631...7641571703535/

Last edited by heathen; 03-25-2014 at 08:37 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 10:42 PM

8 posts, read 18,485 times
Thank you all for the replies. You're right, it's not the ideal place for me. I don't necessarily want to come at all, but my husband did get the job offer at Fort Greely and it pays $60k/yr with benefits, 3 days on, 4 days off. So it's really ideal in terms of work and I'm wondering if maybe Fairbanks wouldn't be so bad if he only has to commute 3 days a week.

We have been calling every rental listed on the delta news website and craigslist and it seems that every place that allows pets has been rented already. That's something I won't personally compromise on. I think it's crappy to get rid of your pets because a place doesn't allow you to have them (but that's a whole different soapbox I suppose).

I think my husband is going to relocate there and work for 6 months while I finish school and continue working in Phoenix. In terms of the social climate, Heathen, it sounds like I'd fit in pretty well. I am also straight forward and honest, but tend to be reserved. I am not a people person, even in the city I rarely go out. My husband and I are very much homebodies, we just enjoy the conveniences a city offers (like Starbucks on every corner, but tend to avoid other things like night clubs or whatever it is people do for fun in the city). We are both in our 20's, but don't really care if there aren't other younger couples around because we don't socialize too much. Then when I'm completely finished with school we will make the decision on whether he stays there, or we move to Fairbanks, or somewhere in the middle.

It's unclear whats going to happen, but thank you all for the information.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,903,237 times
Perhaps you can work in Fairbanks and he on Greely?

Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,849,289 times
A lot of people that work a "_days on _days off" schedule share living quarters at or near their job site with a person that works the opposite shift then they only commute at the beginning and end of their shift.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:37 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,963,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesforthedead View Post
. We've done some research and realize we're in for a bit of a culture shock considering we've only ever lived in big cities or suburbs of big cities...with all the luxuries and conveniences that come with it.
It will be more than a "bit" of a culture shock. If you look at Delta Junction on Google Earth you will not see much. Downtown consists of a couple business along the highway. Shopping is very limited. Even if you make the drive to Fairbanks you will find shopping to be limited. Shopping in Fairbanks has improved over the last few years. Winters are brutal. The temp can get 50 below or even colder. Not much daylight during the winter. I do not know if the military still does it's arctic winter survival training there. One year they had to end the training early because it was just too cold. If you need to make a quick trip stateside for a family emergency be prepared to pay big bucks on plane tickets. I would suggest you have a "plan B" to move back stateside should you find Delta Junction is just not for you.

Now having said all of this if you have the right attitude you just might fall in love with the area. When my family moved to Alaska we lived in several places including one place much smaller than Delta Junction. We loved every place we went. I spent a total of 41 years in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska