Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 06:03 PM

3,103 posts, read 5,590,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Russia wants Alaska's Oil
No. It's not as Russia does not want anything. Why? Russia has the largest oil reserves in the world.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
I think its a fun discussion and I think the Russian language sounds really cool as well as the Cyrillic text. I think it would be really cool if the bridge from Russia to Alaska go built and the road system to go with it. Imagine just hoping in the car and being in Moscow in about 10-11 days.
I think 10-11 days is not enough.You will have to pass from 800 - 1000 (555mile)km per day.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 04-19-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,207,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I think 10-11 days is not enough.
That's true, I think that was from Magadan to Moscow so easily add a few more days depending on the condition of the road. I heard the road from Magadan to Moscow was not great either which is why it took so long.

You can get to Fairbanks in a day easy and if you really pushed it you could get to nome in a day and a half (on the theoretical highway).

Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
That's true, I think that was from Magadan to Moscow so easily add a few more days depending on the condition of the road. I heard the road from Magadan to Moscow was not great either which is why it took so long.

You can get to Fairbanks in a day easy and if you really pushed it you could get to nome in a day and a half (on the theoretical highway).
Yes you are right.You need to consider sufficiently large distance. You know that the distance between the two countries is less than 2 miles?
We have a direct flight to Anchorage From Petropavlovsk.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 04-19-2014 at 06:41 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Yes you are right.You need to consider sufficiently large distance. You know that the distance between the two countries is less than 2 miles?
We have a direct flight to Anchorage From Petropavlovsk.
Or vladavostok on yakatia air. Then on to Sakhalin, the flight is about 1200-1400 round trip. Right now its just being able to speak sufficiently good Russian so I can buy a sim card, hotel and chit chat with locals, etc.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Or vladavostok on yakatia air. Then on to Sakhalin, the flight is about 1200-1400 round trip. Right now its just being able to speak sufficiently good Russian so I can buy a sim card, hotel and chit chat with locals, etc.
Yes it is if you have the most southern point of Yakutia (Yakutia)
But I was talking about the distance between Russia and the United States.
From my city to Vladivostok 2.30-3 hours one way. Anchorage 2.30-3 hours one way. Prior Hobarovska 2:00. 2.3-3 hours to Japan.
You learn Russian?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:32 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,432,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Moscow’s annexation of Crimea was condemned worldwide, but some people in Alaska apparently are yearning for the days when they, too, were part of Mother Russia.

A petition on the White House website created by “S.V.” of Anchorage is calling on Alaskans and others to "vote" for Alaska to secede from the U.S. and become a part of Russia.

Thousands sign WhiteHouse.gov petition for Alaska to secede -- to Russia | Fox News
I don't think that it is "good" idea. Alaska was sold to the USA by Russian Imperia in 1867 when there was no concept about a referendum at all in the legislation. The Crimea was presented to Ukraine by Hrushchyov in Soviet period with the gross violation of the law without responsiveness of public and residents opinion.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Yes it is if you have the most southern point of Yakutia (Yakutia)
But I was talking about the distance between Russia and the United States.
From my city to Vladivostok 2.30-3 hours one way. Anchorage 2.30-3 hours one way. Prior Hobarovska 2:00. 2.3-3 hours to Japan.
You learn Russian?
I am learning Russian with Pimsleur. It seems to be working well so far but it is mostly for the spoken language. I am working on memorizing the alphabet, once I can speak it conversationally and memorize the alphabet it should not be too hard to write it. I have been told Russian is phonetic so you just sound it out but I have found that's not completely true of all Russian words.

Such as "hello", zdrastuicha is how I would spell it in English but when you translate to Cyrillic its spelled a little different than it sounds. Unless the Cyrillic alphabet im using is not correct - Face of Russia: Cyrillic Alphabet

I put the Russian letter stickers on my key board in a phonetic format so that when I type I sound it out in English but there are English letters that don't correspond to any Russian letters so I may peel them off and use the standard format.

So if I were to sound out "hello" in Russian I would spell it здрастуциче when really its spelled зравствуйте and that may just be an issue with having the phonetic format on my keyboard which is messing me up.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I am learning Russian with Pimsleur. It seems to be working well so far but it is mostly for the spoken language. I am working on memorizing the alphabet, once I can speak it conversationally and memorize the alphabet it should not be too hard to write it. I have been told Russian is phonetic so you just sound it out but I have found that's not completely true of all Russian words.

Such as "hello", zdrastuicha is how I would spell it in English but when you translate to Cyrillic its spelled a little different than it sounds. Unless the Cyrillic alphabet im using is not correct - Face of Russia: Cyrillic Alphabet

I put the Russian letter stickers on my key board in a phonetic format so that when I type I sound it out in English but there are English letters that don't correspond to any Russian letters so I may peel them off and use the standard format.

So if I were to sound out "hello" in Russian I would spell it здрастуциче when really its spelled зравствуйте and that may just be an issue with having the phonetic format on my keyboard which is messing me up.
Earlier Russian had more than 100 characters.
Writing sometimes differs from the pronunciation. (I have been told Russian is phonetic so you just sound it out but I have found that's not completely true of all Russian words.) You're right it's not always the case. The difference is mainly in Russian 6 cases and 3 kind (male, female, middle).
On my keyboard two languages English and Russian. Most English letters is an analogue of Russian. A (A), B (Б), C (Ц), D (Д), E (E), F (Ф), G (Ж), and so forth.
Russian letters that do not meet the English can be replaced by other letters. For example-Q (KЮ).Yes your link is correct
"hello" - in Russian (Здравствуйте),HI(Привет)
Do you have some mistakes, but mostly clear enough and well. Better than my English.
Interestingly, Alaska anybody remember the Russian language?
Several years ago in Africa found a tribe of cannibals who speaks fluent Russian ( the literary language).They only know him and say they speak it for over 200 years.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 04-20-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Earlier Russian had more than 100 characters.
Writing sometimes differs from the pronunciation. (I have been told Russian is phonetic so you just sound it out but I have found that's not completely true of all Russian words.) You're right it's not always the case. The difference is mainly in Russian 6 cases and 3 kind (male, female, middle).
On my keyboard two languages English and Russian. Most English letters is an analogue of Russian. A (A), B (Б), C (Ц), D (Д), E (E), F (Ф), G (Ж), and so forth.
Russian letters that do not meet the English can be replaced by other letters. For example-Q (KЮ).Yes your link is correct
"hello" - in Russian (Здравствуйте),HI(Привет)
Do you have some mistakes, but mostly clear enough and well. Better than my English.
Interestingly, Alaska anybody remember the Russian language?
Several years ago in Africa found a tribe of cannibals who speaks fluent Russian ( the literary language).They only know him and say they speak it for over 200 years.
The mat su valley has a lot of Russians living there but I don't think any of the long time locals still speak Russian. There were very few people here when the Russians sold this land. It was not until WW2 that the population boomed due to the rapid build up in infrastructure (lend lease air strips to supply Russia, the Alaska highway, etc). By the way, now we cant even get a socialized medical insurance web site to work and we are lucky if we can afford to repair a bridge let alone build new roads and bridges lol.

I never heard of a tribe in Africa speaking Russian, that's strange and kind of creepy. You don't want your culture being associated with cannibals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska