U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM
 
Location: State Fire and Ice
3,079 posts, read 4,315,688 times
Reputation: 822

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Google lies!
If you're talking about Google map then it is also clearly visible.

 
Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM
 
4,472 posts, read 5,133,146 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You are right the US is a leader in the rankings. But, not as education. Ratings for choosing universities has nothing to do with the level of education in these universities.Average school is the foundation of the educational process.
But I am more interested in the number of schools and universities in Alaska.
There are still kids who manage to rise above things like the no child left behind program and other educational failures and that is who these top tier schools recuirt as well as forigners to keep their credibiltiy. There will alway be a small segment of kids who are simply smart and rise above and the top tier programs will be there to take them in. Its just getting less and less, I will be dead before the day comes when places like MIT cant fill all there seats because everyone is incompetent.
 
Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 PM
 
Location: State Fire and Ice
3,079 posts, read 4,315,688 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
There are still kids who manage to rise above things like the no child left behind program and other educational failures and that is who these top tier schools recuirt as well as forigners to keep their credibiltiy. There will alway be a small segment of kids who are simply smart and rise above and the top tier programs will be there to take them in. Its just getting less and less, I will be dead before the day comes when places like MIT cant fill all there seats because everyone is incompetent.
incompetent? No there is no question about it. American experts are among the best in the world, but only have a narrow profile. I spoke primarily about the system of education.
It's not the children themselves, they remain the same. The point in the system. I know this university-MIT. This course speaks for itself. But Russia is also education system has gotten worse over the last 20 years. Because schools have begun to use the Western system of education in part. But, today, our President drew attention to it and returns the proper level that was previously.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM
 
4,472 posts, read 5,133,146 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
incompetent? No there is no question about it. American experts are among the best in the world, but only have a narrow profile. I spoke primarily about the system of education.
It's not the children themselves, they remain the same. The point in the system. I know this university-MIT. This course speaks for itself. But Russia is also education system has gotten worse over the last 20 years. Because schools have begun to use the Western system of education in part. But, today, our President drew attention to it and returns the proper level that was previously.
Even though the USA remains the leader in narrow fields as the general population gets dumber and dumber the pool with which to pull tallented people from gets smaller to the point that society regresses. Right now Cal Tech and JPL have a wall around them and restricted access to the campus because the area around them has gotten so ghetto.

As time goes on the segment of really smart people will get smaller and smaller unless major political reform is made, but who will vote for the reform when the voting base is of low intellegence.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 01:27 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,471,622 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Even though the USA remains the leader in narrow fields as the general population gets dumber and dumber the pool with which to pull tallented people from gets smaller to the point that society regresses. Right now Cal Tech and JPL have a wall around them and restricted access to the campus because the area around them has gotten so ghetto.
As time goes on the segment of really smart people will get smaller and smaller unless major political reform is made, but who will vote for the reform when the voting base is of low intellegence.
This free speech is worth exactly what it cost; i.e. next to nothing and since it cost someone somewhere to get it to our screens that means it is a net loss overall because it has no redeeming value. In it's own way it is like porn you know it when you see it and in this case you know you made a mistake reading it because it lessened the value of your time.
The above quoted material, at the best it could be considered, is a reflection of the contributor who created it. Being it is worthless as a comment and contains absolutely no material that was worth the effort it took you to read it that must make the producer worthless in his own mind let alone what others value his participation as being worth. If he has the resources to go to Russia I would hope he hurries to that beckoning paradise he imagines it to be. Just think if he said the above trash talk there he would have a lifetime job in a gulag swatting mosquitos.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM
 
4,472 posts, read 5,133,146 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
This free speech is worth exactly what it cost; i.e. next to nothing and since it cost someone somewhere to get it to our screens that means it is a net loss overall because it has no redeeming value. In it's own way it is like porn you know it when you see it and in this case you know you made a mistake reading it because it lessened the value of your time.
The above quoted material, at the best it could be considered, is a reflection of the contributor who created it. Being it is worthless as a comment and contains absolutely no material that was worth the effort it took you to read it that must make the producer worthless in his own mind let alone what others value his participation as being worth. If he has the resources to go to Russia I would hope he hurries to that beckoning paradise he imagines it to be. Just think if he said the above trash talk there he would have a lifetime job in a gulag swatting mosquitos.
the general IQ of our nation is evidenced by the fact that obama got into office twice. If I were in Russia and the dictator started making horrid decisions I may not vent online but I would leave all the same. Thats the thing about having a high demand STEM degree and experience is you become a world wide free agent. I am not sure if Putin surrounds himself with "yes" men or not but I think it took quite a bit more than I wrote to go to a gulag.

Russia has some of the best family laws in the world as far as caucasion people and they are on track to setting themselves up to best the USA. There are still alot of wrong turns they could make but they are doing pretty good. The USA on the other hand just cant seem to get it.
 
Old 04-24-2014, 10:44 PM
 
941 posts, read 1,471,622 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
the general IQ of our nation is evidenced by the fact that obama got into office twice. If I were in Russia and the dictator started making horrid decisions I may not vent online but I would leave all the same. Thats the thing about having a high demand STEM degree and experience is you become a world wide free agent. I am not sure if Putin surrounds himself with "yes" men or not but I think it took quite a bit more than I wrote to go to a gulag.

Russia has some of the best family laws in the world as far as caucasion people and they are on track to setting themselves up to best the USA. There are still alot of wrong turns they could make but they are doing pretty good. The USA on the other hand just cant seem to get it.

This answer says a lot about what type of person would post something like this. I just watched a show about Cliven Bundy and it seems like the same person wrote this missive. Even the Tea Party Republicans are putting as much distance between themselves and that yokel as they can in as short a period of time as they have done anything in years. If you are as racist, and prejudiced in other ways, as this makes you out to be then I think even those battlehardened refugees would fail to recognize your unabashed rhetoric. You can take your degree and high demand for your services and this Country will be better off for your leaving. I wish you well in your endeavor in Russia because if in your dreams you think they will take kindly to your words I doubt you will last long. You seem to think the present dictator of the Russian Republic is making good decisions and for that reason I can see why you think our President is making bad decisions. I guess the fact you aren't the one making the decisions is something for which all of us can be glad you will be leaving us. Don't let the door hit your derriere (de retro) on the way out.
 
Old 04-25-2014, 12:20 AM
 
4,472 posts, read 5,133,146 times
Reputation: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
This answer says a lot about what type of person would post something like this. I just watched a show about Cliven Bundy and it seems like the same person wrote this missive. Even the Tea Party Republicans are putting as much distance between themselves and that yokel as they can in as short a period of time as they have done anything in years. If you are as racist, and prejudiced in other ways, as this makes you out to be then I think even those battlehardened refugees would fail to recognize your unabashed rhetoric. You can take your degree and high demand for your services and this Country will be better off for your leaving. I wish you well in your endeavor in Russia because if in your dreams you think they will take kindly to your words I doubt you will last long. You seem to think the present dictator of the Russian Republic is making good decisions and for that reason I can see why you think our President is making bad decisions. I guess the fact you aren't the one making the decisions is something for which all of us can be glad you will be leaving us. Don't let the door hit your derriere (de retro) on the way out.
I think this is comical because for every one of you saying don't let the door hit you there is a govt official somewhere making it VERY difficult to leave, especially if you have intimate high tech knowlage (especially weapons tech) or other similar skills. In fact the USA is making it harder and harder to leave and doing weird things to peoples passports (since you will still need a US passport until you can secure citizenship else where). So your rhetoric does not actually match the behaviors of those you elected.

People like you and the US govt don't actually want people like me to leave you just want to antagonize us and make the process as difficult as possible. Look at what the IRS is doing to expats now, then when they renounce the US govt produces some list in an attempt to shame them and I have heard of cases where they refuse to let them renounce (not that it matters if the other nation has granted you citizenship and a passport).

So no, its not just "don't let the door hit you", if it were a lot more people would be out of here and you would not like the consequences of that. It would be a massive brain drain and leave the idiots to eat each other.

In Russia they have a flat tax and I could follow my religion and marry and not be scared to death of the family law courts.
 
Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Sevastopol city, Russia.
2,308 posts, read 2,840,947 times
Reputation: 567
Yeah, highlife2, you are right. But I am afraid he doesn't understand or most probably he doesn't wish to do it. The point is that I have an experience of a such discussion with him.
 
Old 04-25-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 6,930,542 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
If you weren't ignorant of geography, you'd understand why a tunnel under or a bridge over the Bering Sea wouldn't be feasible.

Furthermore, there were no railroads within 4000 km of the Bering Strait in 1916 when the Trans Siberian Railroad was completed to Vladisvostok, nor was there enough people or commerce in the area of the Bering Sea, on either side of the strait, to support a railroad.

In fact, there are still few if any roads on either side of the strait today! People travel by plane or boat to get from one point in Alaska to another that's any distance away.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I think you have a problem with geography. I have no problems with geography. No need to say that what you do not know. 52 miles is not a big problem .Many times I was in it. so do not need to talk about Geography. Secondly, it was only a plan. No more. In the third it was possible. Fourthly today there is a real project bridge or tunnel across the Bering Strait. Creation of infrastructure is not the problem in any conditions.
The first proposal for the creation of an intercontinental crossing refers to the 90 th year of the 19th century - Colorado Governor William Gilpin voiced the idea , and architect Joseph Strouss drafted a railway bridge . Then the idea did not find support from Russia and was for a time forgotten. However, already in 1905, the initiative arose precisely from the Eurasian side - work to create a tunnel under the Bering Strait approved Nikolai 2 . At the time, prevented the implementation of the planned start of the First World War . Later realized projects were not given other reasons .
Question for you since you are so fond of geography - How much distance between our countries?
I'll stand by my statement above. Geography is more than simply knowing names on a map and distances between points on a map or chart. It's understanding how location, climate, topography, land use and population relate to one another. There are reasons why northwestern Siberia is virtually uninhabited and western Alaska only slightly less so on a planet where billions of people crowd together in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Thank you But I know very well the geography. I Engineer Skipper(navigator). I asked this question to Linda_d
The next time you're sailing the Bering or Chukchi Seas, take shore leave in one of the many great cities in the area. //sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top