U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 PM

3,843 posts, read 3,668,015 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'll be hitting the Canada portion of the trip to Anchorage in about a day or two and have a few questions:

Should I convert American currency to Canadian or is my credit/debit card good enough?

I keep hearing about plastic covers for headlights and mesh screens for the front of the car. Where can I get those?

Am I ok driving with all season tires or will I need chains or studded tires.

I have an emergency kit, extra flares, warm clothes, extra blankets, a tire inflator, two gallons of milk and two boxes of protein bars with me. Does this sound good?

I'm crossing into Canada from WA State and expect to get to Seattle tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 12:52 AM

2,557 posts, read 3,928,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Hi all. I'll be hitting the Canada portion of the trip to Anchorage in about a day or two and have a few questions:

Should I convert American currency to Canadian or is my credit/debit card good enough?

I keep hearing about plastic covers for headlights and mesh screens for the front of the car. Where can I get those?

I have an emergency kit, extra flares, warm clothes, extra blankets, a tire inflator, two gallons of milk and two boxes of protein bars with me. Does this sound good?

Grab a Milepost if you don't have one. A Barnes & Noble in the Seattle area should have them in the travel section.

I've always just use the credit/debit card.

I've never done the headlight covers or mesh screen. But I did have a rock go through my headlight lenses, so maybe I should've. I just filled the hole in with silicon to keep the water out.

I've always just had all season tires. Having chains might not be a bad idea.

Your emergency kit sounds good.

I've always hopped off I-5 at Bellingham and crossed at Sumas.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:58 AM

5,843 posts, read 6,028,487 times
A Few Alcan Questions

I usually use credit cards when traveling out of country. You might want to check with your cc company to make sure they convert from Canadian to USD using the current exchange rate. Also make sure they do not have extra fees on charges made out of country. You might want to have some Canadian currency just in case you stop somewhere that does not take credit cards. Check on the internet to see what the official exchange rate is. Some places really rip you off with the exchange rate they use. Also plan on spending any Canadian currency you have left before you get to Alaska.

You can usually find these items at most auto parts stores. Do you really need them? It is up to you. The Alcan is mostly paved so rock dings are not as much of an issue as they used to be.

I have never driven the highway this time of year so someone else will have to chime in on this. I will say the first time my family drove the highway it was during the winter. We had a 1967 rear wheel drive station wagon with bias ply tires. We had no problem.

Sounds good. You might want to carry a couple bottles of water. You never know when your car might decide to overheat. Be sure to check your spare tire and make sure all the parts for your jack are there.

Make sure you have your passports as you will need them to cross into Alaska. Also make sure you have proof of auto insurance as you never know who will ask for it. Be sure you have a copy of The Milepost.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:27 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,304,943 times
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth

Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
I'd get a hundred in Canadian or so. Use the money in restaurants. Make sure your bank knows you're traveling through Canada so they won't think a fraud is happening.

Quote:
I've never used these. Whenever you see a Semi approaching you, SLOW DOWN. The Canadians lay pea gravel on the road, these things are bullets when they pass over them.

Quote:
If you have older tires on, stop in at Les Schwab for a set of all seasons and have them siped for more traction.

Quote:
Jerky, get jerky for your trip, it stores easy. If you're a sunflower seed nut, get some in the states. Planters or David Seeds are way better than the "Spits" seeds they sell in Canada.

Quote:
Head north to Bellingham and then over to Lynden and cross at Sumas. Highway 1 the trans Canadian Highway is crazy here at Abbotsford and remember they drive in Kilometers. If you have a GPS, might as well move it over to Kilometers after you cross. It's way easier than reading the small kilometer numbers on your dash.

Enjoy your trip, take your time and always ask ahead on road conditions. Take lots of pics!

Careful in Prince George, maniac drivers here. They love American plates and will cut you off. Check ahead for Pine Pass conditions and be careful in this area. Do stop in at Chetwynd and eat at the Brookside Inn, good food here.

Don't take the "shortcut" from Chetwynd north to Fort St. John, drive up to Dawson Creek and get a picture at Mile 0 of the Alcan and then continue up to Fort St. John. From there it's a long haul up to Fort Nelson. Don't let your tank go below half here. Half way up is Buckinghorse Lodge, gas up here and have a pork chop lunch. The rest stops between Fort St. John and Fort Nelson don't have restrooms at the rest areas.

Don't drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night! Lots of critters in here and you'll miss some of the most amazing scenery on the drive. You have a bunch of fuel options between the two. This is a isolated stretch, but you'll have a few fuel options here. Watch out for Bison!

If you stay in Watson Lake, do stay at the Air Force Lodge, call ahead for reservations. This is the best place to stay in Watson Lake.
Air Force Lodge - Yukon Watson Lake Motel

Keep in mind road conditions:

DriveBC

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

Alaska 511 - Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska.

Last edited by warptman; 03-29-2014 at 02:02 AM..

Old 03-29-2014, 02:03 AM

A relative of mine just drove from Fairbanks to Salt Lake in about four days, smooth drive all the way down.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 AM

224 posts, read 289,900 times
^^ good info.

I also had no issues with credit cards. I think we cashed in $100 for looneys or canukians or whatever and still have $35 left.

Chains and whatever other gimmickry are unnecessary if you can drive on ice. Most of the roads will be clear, the rest should be in breakup. Be cautious and you'll be fine.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Thank you all. Appreciate the advice.

I meant to say two gallons of water, not milk.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Thank you, warpt. I was planning on day driving only. I don't want to hit any critters on the road.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:20 PM

3,018 posts, read 2,516,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Head north to Bellingham and then over to Lynden and cross at Sumas.
Personally, I much prefer to take 592 out of Bellingham, and then take hwy 9 up to Sumas. Not only is it faster, but you get less traffic and far fewer traffic lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska