U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 12,383 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My fiancé has turned in the first online application to become an Alaska State Trooper. They are doing the first background checks now and he is to call them next week. Is there anyone out there who IS an AST or someone that had a relative who knows what the hiring process is? He is dead set on getting accepted and moving to Alaska next year in March. Is it a fairly easy or hard screening process? Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 05:58 PM

21,359 posts, read 32,486,903 times
Once you get hired, you won't be able to pick and choose where you will serve. Most new recruits get sent to "C-Detachment." This is a vast area of Alaska off the road system and the busiest of all posts. After a year or two, you'll be able to apply to move to the road system.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,756,084 times
Wow. Warptman - That is totally opposite of what I was told 2 years ago when I looked at lateraling over to AST. But seeing as you are in that area, you probably know from first hand experience. Anyways, below is what I was told:

In the beginning I was told you would be ON the road system and in a more traditional area of Police Work until you passed FTO (Field Training Officer) and probation. Then you were "up for transfer" for a certain number of years and then you were permanent at that first post - unless YOU requested a transfer. There are a ton of union rules regarding your posts/transfers. If the OP's fiance' is that dedicated to becoming an AST I suggest that he look online and read the various bargaining agreement regarding the job.

Realistically, it will take a couple of years at least to get a permanent post and then it depends on where the opening is.

I got this from one person here who BECAME a trooper as a lateral and I also called them directly and asked recruiting questions. I asked questions that even the recruitment person couldn't answer and ended up talking to a Lieutenant in the section at the time. So things can and do change...

Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 PM

2,569 posts, read 3,982,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Once you get hired, you won't be able to pick and choose where you will serve. Most new recruits get sent to "C-Detachment." This is a vast area of Alaska off the road system and the busiest of all posts. After a year or two, you'll be able to apply to move to the road system.
I was told this isn't necessarily the case anymore... Something about the way they redid the retirement system, the older guys want to serve their last few years in the bush so their retirement pay is higher. I don't remember all the details... Maybe I read something on their facebook page...
And according to this, your first duty stations are in Fairbanks, Palmer or Soldotna: Duty Stations

But, I do know their process is pretty strict. I had a friend who tried and failed twice. The first time was because he missed the cut off time for running a mile. The next time around he passed the physical stuff, but was booted because the system showed he didn't register with the Selective Service when he turned 18. Turns out it was a computer SNAFU and within 36 hours he had proof that he did register. But it was too late. Once they drop you, you are dropped. He gave up on applying after that.

So make sure you have your ducks in a row. And don't try and hide anything, they will find it.

I'm assuming you've looked this over: Hiring Process

Old 04-01-2014, 07:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,383 times
Thank you for your responses. Yes he has looked at all of that information. I guess all we can do is wait until they do the background checks. If he passes that, I know he can do the physical part of the testing.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:43 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,756,084 times
Background you should know whether you will pass already or not. Been arrested? How bad is the driving record? Filed for bankruptcy, ever? How is your credit now? Been fired form a job or forced to retire in lieu of being fired? What does the job history look like? Use or used illegal drugs? Have you been truthful on the employment background questionaire?

You also have a Psychological test to take too which is a long fun day too.

It is a pretty simple process for the background investigator. It takes time to cross the Ts and dot the Is. Probably a little longer since you don't only have a AK residence history so some stuff needs to be requested from other agencies.

And Like AkStafford says, any little hiccup along the way and you are out or passed over for a year.

Good luck and I hope he makes it!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 957,200 times
I have family members who were troopers. They ALL got sent to very remote areas for a long time after being hired. They all said the troopers with family/kids got preference for the better assignments, which I think is really crap for them to do, but probably true. The single ones get screwed over.

The process takes forever and don't move up here until you're a) hired and b) through the Academy and out of training. A lot of people don't like the job, it's not a normal cop job, and the Academy is beyond ridiculous as far as what you have to put up with.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 AM

6,988 posts, read 11,802,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I have family members who were troopers. They ALL got sent to very remote areas for a long time after being hired. They all said the troopers with family/kids got preference for the better assignments, which I think is really crap for them to do, but probably true. The single ones get screwed over.

The process takes forever and don't move up here until you're a) hired and b) through the Academy and out of training. A lot of people don't like the job, it's not a normal cop job, and the Academy is beyond ridiculous as far as what you have to put up with.
This has all changed over the past 5 years. Now the first duty assignments are in Palmer, Fairbanks or Soldotna. As the Troopers are union jobs (PSEA) all assignments are put out to bid.

Duty Stations

Old 04-12-2014, 02:45 AM

167 posts, read 301,869 times
Tough job......I work with Troopers in my role at work and I don't envy them. They earn every penny that the state of Alaska pays them.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,461 times
Default Ast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomamomto3 View Post
Hello everyone. My fiancé has turned in the first online application to become an Alaska State Trooper. They are doing the first background checks now and he is to call them next week. Is there anyone out there who IS an AST or someone that had a relative who knows what the hiring process is? He is dead set on getting accepted and moving to Alaska next year in March. Is it a fairly easy or hard screening process? Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Ok we moved to AK from OK with AST in 2010. The process no more involved than any othtoer LE agency. Background investigation is followed with an invitation to come to Anchorage for testing if you are selected. Testing takes about a week and a half and includes physical agility, physical, psychic, polygraph, and oral board. Transport and lodging during testing will be on you so expect to pay about 1500 a person and that is living it on the cheap. If he passes all the testing then you will be given a thumbs up and start date. Academy is in Sitka where he will reside for about four months. Families are not encouraged to move to Sitka. Following the academy he will be assigned to an initial duty station in either Fairbanks, Palmer/Wasilla, or Soldotna. Post any more specific questions. .. hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska