Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 704 times

Advertisements

Dear Alaskans,

This is going to sound like a weird thread but I assure you it is both genuine and serious. I am a New Zealander (kiwi) and am married to a fellow kiwi. We are both educatiors and have both been so for over 50 years collectively.....so no, we are not exactly spring chickens! Our children (from previous marriages) have all but grown up and are starting out on their respective lives so we are without lil' ones running around.

We are currently working in China and are at a stage in our careers/lives where we wish to be somewhere where we can hone our craft (education), enjoy the outdoors life that a place like Alaska has to offer and, most importantly, have more 'children'. BY children, we mean animals....dogs, cats, chickens, etc.

Yes - we could do all of this back in New Zealand but we are both quite adventurous and Alaska is a place we would like to 'check out'. We are not exactly sure where in Alaska we would like to settle but it would need to be somewhere where we could teach and enjoy the outdoors.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to share.

Terry

P.S. If this were to happen, we would be looking to head over within the next 18-24 months. If work opportunities presented themselves earlier, we would seriously consider coming over tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 06:51 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,601,733 times
You probably want to start by finding out how to get permission to work in the US:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/working-us

As with anything the government does, it's complicated. An immigration attorney may be a good resource as well.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:14 PM

2,793 posts, read 5,580,884 times
The MatSu Valley, the Kenai Peninsula or someplace in Southeast Alaska (Juneau, Petersburg or Sitka is my choices) would all work.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:14 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,152,142 times
Honestly, being educators, you need to check out the Alaska teacher placement website.
Alaska Teacher Placement

I’d recommend looking at bush school districts because there would possibly be openings immediately. Only problem is going to be the number of pets you have.
What are you certified in?

Old 10-31-2018, 10:00 PM

26,536 posts, read 36,426,358 times
^
Quote:
Only problem is going to be the number of pets you have.
You don't think there might be a problem with their not being U.S. citizens?

H-B1 visas aren't easy to get anymore.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 10-31-2018 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^

You don't think there might be a problem with their not being U.S. citizens?

H-B1 visas aren't easy to get anymore.
Not really. There is such a teacher shortage and they’d be a teaching couple which is desirable. I think they could get a job fairly easily.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:01 AM

26,536 posts, read 36,426,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Not really. There is such a teacher shortage and they’d be a teaching couple which is desirable. I think they could get a job fairly easily.
That's nice. There's also a serious shortage of fish processing workers, and this administration's policy on work visas has made it even worse (I think it's a different class of visa, though). It doesn't affect me any, but most Alaskans don't even realize that their state lost millions in tax revenue due to these recent changes.

Why is there a teacher shortage, in your opinion? I read something about teachers never knowing whether their contracts will be renewed is that part of it?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-02-2018 at 01:16 AM..

Old 11-02-2018, 08:08 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,180,349 times
You'd need to be certified in the state you choose to work in. I don't know about whether you'd be hired without a work visa. I would think the employer would need a Social Security number, which you couldn't get, without a work visa.

Aside from that, what is your experience teaching Indigenous students? Have you worked in schools with Maori students? If so, how did it work out? This could be relevant to your teaching in Alaska.

You'll find the cost of living very high in AK. I don't know if the teacher pay comes close to compensating for that, or not. Did you know that oil revenues are way down, so the State is experiencing economic difficulties?

Old 11-02-2018, 09:45 PM

227 posts, read 256,758 times
Not sure of the legal logistics, but going to agree with the other poster. I'm an auditor and worked on several remote districts up here this year and it is always a challenge for them to fill positions and keep them filled. People think it is great fun to live in the remote places but reality sets in and they bolt come summer, if they even make it that long.

So, moral of the story, try to make sure you know what you are getting into with it. If you still feel you are interested, there are always openings!

Old 11-03-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's nice. There's also a serious shortage of fish processing workers, and this administration's policy on work visas has made it even worse (I think it's a different class of visa, though). It doesn't affect me any, but most Alaskans don't even realize that their state lost millions in tax revenue due to these recent changes.

Why is there a teacher shortage, in your opinion? I read something about teachers never knowing whether their contracts will be renewed is that part of it?
That visa could be a problem. We looked at bringing a foreign nanny, but the visa cost was just too much for us.

I’m not exactly sure how the process works, but I have worked with foreign nationals. They were here on a partnership program.

The teacher shortage has many causes. First cause is Alaska isn’t the easiest place to work. Especially in the bush. Its really hard to understand the reality of Alaska bush, without being there.
Another issue is the lack of support, And substandard quality of life.
It’s an adventure, but when you realize you got to have money to buy the toys to participate in those adventures, it becomes challenging. The year to year contract sucks. But it’s the same down south. I’ve always believed that as long as you do your job, you will be fine. The bush is a little different. Hard to avoid those you personality clash with.

Public education is the bad guy with the right wing. Money isn’t making it to the bush, like it once did. When we were in the village, our school paid $20k a month for utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska