Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM

23 posts, read 28,528 times

Advertisements

I've done my google-ing, my yelp-ing, and even a fair share of Facebook stalking err research and its time to turn it over to the experts...
I will be moving to Alaska from Hawaii in the next 4-6 months. Where do I begin?! AH! I'm originally from California and have never lived anywhere it snows before. I'm not worried about the cold so much as the long days with out sun. I'm moving to be with the love of my life, he will be stationed at JBER if everything goes according to planned. I'm selling my car and all my furniture and basically anything I don't need/am not emotionally attached to. I'm hoping to spend about a month in CA between HI and AK. Is there anything I should know before I throw caution to the wind and embark on this adventure?
I've got my professional roots in customer service, what is the job market like in Anchorage for that kind background?
Is it reasonable to think that I'd be able to get a job and ride a bicycle to and from work through the summer?
What part of Anchorage should I look in for (pet-friendly) apartments?
How do the locals/natives feel about the military community?
Where is the best Mexican food?
Best breakfast/brunch spot?
Good cup of coffee?
Best walking/hiking/fishing/camping/swimming spots?
Any tips, tricks, thoughts, opinions, criticisms, jokes and/or snide remarks would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachey_lynn View Post
Any tips, tricks, thoughts, opinions, criticisms, jokes and/or snide remarks would be appreciated.
Boy, are you in for a surprise!

Old 01-23-2015, 02:22 PM

Default :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Boy, are you in for a surprise!
That doesn't sound promising. What's going to be surprising?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:05 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
If it's going to be another month before you get here...there will not be an issue with lack of sunlight. This part of Alaska (southcentral) has sunlight all winter long. We are gaining about 4 minutes a day now. Sun is up about 10 AM and down about 5 PM.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
If it's going to be another month before you get here...there will not be an issue with lack of sunlight. This part of Alaska (southcentral) has sunlight all winter long. We are gaining about 4 minutes a day now. Sun is up about 10 AM and down about 5 PM.
I won't be moving until May-July ish. I just meant my first real winter there may be tough from what I've read? We'd be living there for a minimum of 3 years.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:32 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
You'll be arriving at the sunniest and warmest time of the year. Being from a sunny climate you may be more prone to S.A.D. I am originally from a sunny climate and take vitamin D and do just fine. Others use a special lamp that mimicks the sunlight. Some people do fine, others can't adjust, but IMO a good attitude goes a long way.... As long as you really want to be here you'll be fine.... If you are coming up just because your boyfriend is stationed here and stay in your apartment a lot, you will have a tougher time.

Make it a point to go outside everyday no matter what the weather and buy yourself the right gear when you get up here. You'll be fine, anchorage is a modern city with all the amenities.... I doubt that you'll be able to bike your job unless you aren't picky and specifically get a job right by your apartment.... Anchorage isn't exactly known as being a super bike friendly city. Not that it can't be done though, Good luck.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachey_lynn View Post
That doesn't sound promising. What's going to be surprising?
Everything! It will take you quite some time to get used to the weather, driving on snow, swatting mosquitoes, our crazy drivers, moose, tourists in summer, and many other things that are unique to Alaska living. After my first winter here, when it warmed up to 40f, we were on the front step drinking mint juleps.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Default 6.7traveler

Thanks so much for your post. I wouldn't be moving to AK if it weren't for the dude but we picked this station together, we had a few other options. Being from Los Angeles and then coming to Honolulu I really enjoyed the change of pace and I feel that the experience has made me a more well rounded individual. I'm hoping AK will have the same effect. I kind of feel like a jagged rock being rolled around each place smoothing my edges in a different way.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:09 PM

Default Music_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Everything! It will take you quite some time to get used to the weather, driving on snow, swatting mosquitoes, our crazy drivers, moose, tourists in summer, and many other things that are unique to Alaska living. After my first winter here, when it warmed up to 40f, we were on the front step drinking mint juleps.
The weather and snow I will get used to. I've been told AK's state bird is the mosquito but we've got rat sized roaches and I've gotten used to that (sorta). Tourists?! Pshh I live in HI how much worse could it be? I feel like those are just the negative things I'd have to get used to. What about the things that are unique to AK living that are positive?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:24 PM

18 posts, read 21,649 times
While I do not live in Alaska yet, I did grow up as a Navy brat in Keflavik, Iceland (weather/sunlight/winter almost exactly like Anchorage), before a short stint in Bermuda, followed by retirement relocation to southwest Georgia where I finished high school. The thing you need to keep in mind is that you are moving between two places that are considered paradise. The problem is that the people that consider each paradise are entirely different. One can get used to weather, but it's probably impossible to properly quantify the difference between something like Honolulu and Alaska to someone that has never experienced it. Then you get into issues of SAD.

The big red flag to me is that you are moving for a relationship, and that is a big red flag because I would consider the details of the relationship to be quite relevant to the potential difference between making a solid decision relative to your future or the worst mistake of your life. Alaska, like Iceland, is one of those places that quickly makes it obvious whether someone belongs there or not. My concern is that it would be unfortunate if you abandoned Hawaii for Alaska, and then found yourself to be a single woman stuck in a place you hate.

For all I know, you could be in your late-20's/early-30's moving for a relationship that has lasted several years, in which case the above paragraph could be completely irrelevant. Or you could be in your early-20's chasing after a man you've dated for 6 all of 6 months. The transition you would be making is one of night and day, and if you're making it for a man, you best be certain of that relationship's future. There is plenty about a place like Alaska that is positive, just as there is with Hawaii, but they appeal to different people. Make sure the premise of why you're moving between extremes is solid before you do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: