U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:34 AM

6 posts, read 7,795 times

Advertisements

Okay my question of the day is why do so many individuals buy and use all these huge 4x4, two ton trucks. Like really do you ever actually see anything being carried by most of them? I feel almost if there's so many that it becomes a safety hazard. Is it just a vehicle of status now, showing how masculine you are. Not that I have anything against people who drive them but if you don't actually use your truck for its many purposes, besides just daily commute then what's the point. Anyway give me your thoughts, opinions, and criticism.

Also as another note why do people have sports cars up here? Like literally a max of 4/12 months is when you can actually use them. The rest of the time it will just collect dust as they hibernate in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 06:29 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,706,846 times
I am moving to AK -

We own a small economical car and a "2-ton" Truck as you put it. (F350). We have use cases for both... My F350 is basically stock. Tried going without a truck and just couldn't do it, ended up having two smaller vehicles for a very short period of time and then traded in a went back to a truck... I won't ever NOT have a truck after that experience. I might have a third car, if the economics ever support it. But seeing as I put only 7,000 miles a year on it and most of those are on vacation drives, I doubt that will ever make economic sense any time soon. Plus, a car can't pull a trailer- so again, either 3 vehicles or use the tow vehicle as one of your daily drivers. Of course when I get to Anchorage, I'll re-evaluate what we need and go from there. The smaller car we have is a lease, so we will be looking at what to replace it with. Right now, Probably go back to a AWD CUV. If you own a home having a truck is a huge plus... I can't imagine that being any different in AK. Maybe even MORE handy if you need things like wood to burn.

I like being able to throw dirty things in the back of it and not worry about it. In fact, right now, I am going to the dump with a full bed full of yard clippings.

And sports cars are fun even though I don't have one anymore. I would bet most modern sports cars can survive driving the winter though, probably just as well as the small car we have. I guess I got spoiled, since we can run them all year long here. (No snow where I currently live) Anyways, It's called a hobby. Why have a ATV and a snow machine, when you can't use those all year long? Because you take advantage of using them during the time that you can use them.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,584,912 times
Many of the gravel roads in winter are not drivable without the heavy truck with the strong tires. These vehicles also make good truck campers. Alaskans enjoy camping and wilderness.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM

3,843 posts, read 3,674,583 times
I think a better question to ask is why are Anchorage drivers so aggressive and bad? I Have never seen such a collection of tailgating, speeding, cutting you off, turning in front of you, no signaling, red light running jerks as I have in Anchorage and I have driven in 45 out of 50 states. Drivers here exceed Northerners in their aggression and rudeness, by far.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:30 PM

584 posts, read 655,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Joey View Post
Okay my question of the day is why do so many individuals buy and use all these huge 4x4, two ton trucks. Like really do you ever actually see anything being carried by most of them? I feel almost if there's so many that it becomes a safety hazard. Is it just a vehicle of status now, showing how masculine you are. Not that I have anything against people who drive them but if you don't actually use your truck for its many purposes, besides just daily commute then what's the point. Anyway give me your thoughts, opinions, and criticism.

Also as another note why do people have sports cars up here? Like literally a max of 4/12 months is when you can actually use them. The rest of the time it will just collect dust as they hibernate in the garage.
Never understood why so many people care what other people drive, wear or what kind of dwelling they live. Ak. used to be different.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,491,477 times
My responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Joey View Post
Okay my question of the day is why do so many individuals buy and use all these huge 4x4, two ton trucks.

Because such trucks are used to haul construction materials, have the power and size to carry a slide-in camper (or to tow one), tow heavy trailers loaded with snowmachines and ATV's toward the Hoodoo Mountain near Summit lake, or a big boat to Valdez (or Home, or Seward), to haul top soil to their yards, and so on. Also, a lot of people drive to their homes on gravel or dirt roads that have large potholes where a Honda Civic will bottom-out. While a smaller truck is good for certain things, it cannot carry a medium to large slide-in camper

Like really do you ever actually see anything being carried by most of them?

Perhaps you see them on the road when going to work or shopping? Don't you realize that they may be doing the same as you are (on their way to Home Depot, or just to work). Do you really believe that a person is going to drive a heavy truck and spend a fortune on fuel just for the fun of spending? Is in it possible that the person does not have, or can't afford another vehicle to drive to work?

I feel almost if there's so many that it becomes a safety hazard. Is it just a vehicle of status now, showing how masculine you are.

The size or type of vehicle is not what makes it a safety hazard, and most times the real safety hazards are the drivers and things they do while driving. For example, driving under the influence, texting while driving, applying makeup while driving, talking to passengers while driving...It does not matter if you are driving a tractor with trailer, or a Cooper Mini

Not that I have anything against people who drive them but if you don't actually use your truck for its many purposes, besides just daily commute then what's the point. Anyway give me your thoughts, opinions, and criticism.

Of course you have something against people driving trucks. Otherwise you would not start such a silly thread

Why should it matter to anybody the type of vehicle others drive to commute? There are many reasons why people ride motorcycles and bicycles, drive trucks, cars, ride the bus, or just walk.

Sport cars are driven mostly for fun, and most often during the summer or days where the roads are clear of heavy snow and ice. Also, a lot of vehicles are parked in the garage most of the time because the owner only wants to drive it occasionally, or maybe never. I would not mind having a 1960 or earlier Ferrari automobile parked in my garage and never drive it

Old 04-27-2014, 05:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,795 times
"Of course you have something against people driving trucks. Otherwise you would not start such a silly thread "

Okay okay maybe your right. I don't know where in Anchorage you live but literally I counted one day as I was driven to Century 16 to see a movie and 5/60 trucks that I saw actually had materials in the back. All the reasons you state are viable and are true. Just that's not the particular situation I see on the roads and highways of the Anchorage city.

"The size or type of vehicle is not what makes it a safety hazard, and most times the real safety hazards are the drivers and things they do while driving. For example, driving under the influence, texting while driving, applying makeup while driving, talking to passengers while driving...It does not matter if you are driving a tractor with trailer, or a Cooper Mini"

Yes but considering getting T-boned by a mini cooper versus an F-350 has a considerable difference in damage between the 2 vehicles. Making the driver of the mini cooper even if he's drunk, high on speed, and texting; considerably less dangerous because of the limited damage a car of that spec can actually cause. While an F-350 even if the drivers calm and focused on the road has the potential to cause more damage. The danger of the vehicle is considerably less though because the drivers state of mind and body.

"Why should it matter to anybody the type of vehicle others drive to commute? There are many reasons why people ride motorcycles and bicycles, drive trucks, cars, ride the bus, or just walk."

Well I'm a person who likes to use things and use them until their broken and when they're broken I fix them again. It just really upsets me to see people drive something like an F-350 and not actually use it for its purpose. If I was a big green earth kinda person to I might say something but I'm not.

I'll rephrase my question because it still hasn't been answered yet directly.

Does masculinity and social status have a contributing factor in why people drive trucks? Due to my consensus from driving around Anchorage so far in the past couple weeks it feels like a real possible factor due to the evidence I have seen of people not actually using their vehicle for it's many purposes.

Last edited by Ranger Joey; 04-27-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-27-2014, 05:28 PM

584 posts, read 655,346 times
Trucks are nice to have when you need one. This doesn't mean you'll need the bed or pulling capacity 24/s 7.

Why are most cars capable of exceeding the speed limit, and do you own one?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:32 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,342,249 times
Has to be rrpearso/highlife's relative...

Old 04-28-2014, 01:35 AM

4,472 posts, read 5,136,353 times
I don't think its the trucks that are the issue its the trucks that are lifted with boarder line legal exhausts who drag race off the line as soon as the light is green. Or the d bags on the highway who weave in and out of traffic while making huge amounts of noise as they slam on the gas. They only bother me when im not texting or zoned out lol.

they are the same ones in the ditch or totaled as soon as the snow flys but in the summer they can generally get away with their d beggary with little consequence which is why I just zone out and drive like a d bag myself and play with my music or text and force them to slow down from their 80 mph. I don't even know why some of them come up on me in the slow lane than pour on the gas to go around, if your driving 80 why not just stay in the fast lane.

I think anything bigger than an F150 should require a CDL and if you kill someone in your behemoth vehical and its your fault you should get hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or