U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,556,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly
My heart goes out to the friends and family of the troopers.
Yes I first heard of this the other day...... Very sad indeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 02:22 AM

6,381 posts, read 11,977,777 times
The sadness of the event is numbing.

The people in the towns like this are always subjected to bullies that most won't talk about until it becomes a major news event which is too late for the victims in most cases.

I truly wish we had the death penalty in Alaska, cases like this cry for it.

But the killer will be back on the street in a few years with claims he was abused or some other hogwash, accountability to live in a society has faded to almost dust.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,556,721 times
Hmmmmm I didnt know you guys didnt have it......

I think if they have 100% proof of WHO DID IT,they should recieve the same treatment!!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM

325 posts, read 399,203 times
Weren't the perps on a Discovery series also?

Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM

6,940 posts, read 11,743,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
Weren't the perps on a Discovery series also?
Nope, same village, different family.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,669,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The sadness of the event is numbing.

The people in the towns like this are always subjected to bullies that most won't talk about until it becomes a major news event which is too late for the victims in most cases.

I truly wish we had the death penalty in Alaska, cases like this cry for it.

But the killer will be back on the street in a few years with claims he was abused or some other hogwash, accountability to live in a society has faded to almost dust.
I am very pleased that Alaska does not have a death penalty. There is not a government on the face of the planet that can be trusted not to abuse the power to execute its own citizens.

There have been a lot more Alaskan citizens killed by Alaskan law enforcement, than Alaskan law enforcement killed by Alaskan citizens. In the case of Alaskan law enforcement the killers are back on the streets in a few days to kill yet again.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:34 PM

941 posts, read 1,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I am very pleased that Alaska does not have a death penalty. There is not a government on the face of the planet that can be trusted not to abuse the power to execute its own citizens.

There have been a lot more Alaskan citizens killed by Alaskan law enforcement, than Alaskan law enforcement killed by Alaskan citizens. In the case of Alaskan law enforcement the killers are back on the streets in a few days to kill yet again.

We're having that exact problem down here in the lower 48. Out West where the west was won law enforcement is killing off lots of innocent people. And they even use go pro cameras to make sure they have video showing how they killed the last innocent person. Can you imagine the glitch and I agreeing on something?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 PM

20,496 posts, read 26,647,832 times
I agree with Glitch. No government on this planet should have the power of life or death over its citizens. Sure, some dirtbags deserve to die, but there's a bigger picture at play here.

I don't know what happened in this village. I don't know these people. I do, however, know small Alaskan communities where troopers seem to feel are their own micro-police states where they think they can push people around.

Some big old fat one came around a couple of years ago and wanted me to take some illegally caught halibut he had confiscated and package and flash freeze for the local food bank. Sure, we do that, and for free as a way to give to the community -- but not in the middle of a seine opening. I told that fat halibut cop he'd have to wait until I talked with my partner and that we could do it for half price but not for free-- the blowhard was really trying hard to intimidate me into doing the fish for free. Pffft. I found out later that the lady at the food bank had specifically said that we couldn't be expected to do the work for free during seine season. The cop was just trying to be a big shot.

This was probably the only time in my life where I ever felt...uncomfortable in the presence of law enforcement. He was clearly trying to use his authority as a fat ugly ass halibut cop to try to intimidate me, and that didn't work out too well for him.

pfft.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-12-2014 at 11:23 PM..

Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 AM

325 posts, read 399,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I agree with Glitch. No government on this planet should have the power of life or death over its citizens. Sure, some dirtbags deserve to die, but there's a bigger picture at play here.
I've had this idea for years. Empty our the prisons of all the murderers (lifers & death row) - ala the "Dirty Dozen". Give them no promises. Put them in Army bdu's - give them a rifle with two magazines, a weeks worth of MRE's and put them out on the front lines in the Ghan or Iraq or whatever battlefield the Army designates. With two companies of MP's to prevent them from rabbiting. It now leaves room for the rapists, drug smugglers and white collar criminals.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM

20,496 posts, read 26,647,832 times
What a dumb idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska