Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:14 PM

127 posts, read 209,457 times

Advertisements

Hey guys it's been a while but I've been working on getting back up there for this summer. Life has happened, i gotten married to a beautiful Polish woman just over a month ago and I've gotten myself a job out of Egegik for sockeye. I'd love to hear some words of wisdom from those that have been there or in the Bristol Bay fishery. My Cpt. has 5 32' aluminum boats out there so we should be very busy this season. We are contracted to AGS and i'm guessing we say in their bunkhouse set up. If anyone has any info on the town, AGS, ect. let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:10 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,298 times
Stay safe, keep all of your body parts inside the rails, kill a lot of fish!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:31 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Strange things happen out there. Make sure you read the book "Red Summer" by Bill Carter. I took Dr. Hunter from his jail cell to the courtroom everyday for 5 weeks. He said he shot both of the fishermen in self defense. Then he explained that he had to wrap their bodies in leadline and sink them to the bottom of the bay so that he could make his escape. Their bodies have never been found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/01/bo...ns-t.html?_r=0

Not everyone in Egegik is as plucky, or as lucky, as Sharon Hart. The town wears people down, especially those who stay through the winters. With the spare style of a war reporter (his previous book, “Fools Rush In,” recounted his harrowing experiences in Sarajevo during the height of the Bosnian war), Carter introduces a man in his early 40s named Boobuck who waded into the river, drunk, to check his subsistence net; he took one step too many and was sucked downstream to his death. There’s Pancho, a young friend of Sharon’s, who was electrocuted when he lifted a pipe and it touched an overhanging wire. And there’s a neo-Nazi type named Ken Hunter, who shot two men, one of them his former fishing partner, and presumably sank their bodies in the river

Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 PM

Rough neck shanty town sounds good to me, hows the cops there? I'm there to fish but sometimes life happens lol. And no worries, "Fish will fall at my feet to there deaths". I have to go though King Salmon to get there i was thinking about hear up early and seeing if I can pull some work before i start this contract, and after. Works work.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Good luck and I see you are trimming off those "green horns" - pretty soon you are going to the be expert.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Yay for you. You'll be on a gillnetter? Congrats on the marriage.

Don't cut loose too much on shore. Keep your head down out there.

This'll be an interesting run. There's been a lot of fuss and feathers about two-headed nuclear salmon since the disaster in Japan, and this year's sockeye run is probably the most vulnerable to any reactions to that that may have occurred back then because they were still in shallow water when it happened (something the alarmists never bothered to find out). I'm pretty sure they won't be glowing in the dark with fifteen kinds of fins sticking out all over them, but hey, who knows. Could be some good photo ops.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:14 PM

thx guys. Yup I'll be on gillnetter for the summer. I'll be a good lil deckhand, it's my first time up to the Bristol Bay fishery so i gotta make a good name. I'm worried about it as well, but i know all of the nuclear history here on earth and theres way more radioactive material in the oceans from wars, to sunk subs and ships, to lost nucs, to all their "testing" they have done over and under the oceans. This was just well publicized but in reality it's like a kid pissing in a pool. Theirs a lot of **** there to begin with, so whats the real problem. -_-

Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Don't worry about radioactive fish, don't spend your money on booze and wild women. Just work hard and take a few pictures.

Aerial photo of Egegik 2005

Old 05-05-2014, 11:31 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
Stiff - He just got married, hasn't been long enough to drive him to drink yet.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:24 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Take lots of bug dope and get a mosquito headnet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: