U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2014, 02:43 PM
 
20,471 posts, read 26,610,445 times
Reputation: 13199

Advertisements

Again, I was referring to explaining it to someone from out of state. I've found that people from different areas have very different ideas of what is rural and what is remote -- to some, for instance, living 20 miles out constitutes remote living. I also think it's more like 43 miles from Anchorage instead of 30

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-09-2014 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,298 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks for all the responses for the Palmer area.

Another question on the wind. How bad is it and are there places around the Palmer area to avoid less wind. I am looking at settling within a 20 mile radius of Palmer, but not towards Wasilla. Is there a concern for flooding in the area?

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
5,858 posts, read 6,044,197 times
Reputation: 98395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfieber View Post
Thanks for all the responses for the Palmer area.

Another question on the wind. How bad is it and are there places around the Palmer area to avoid less wind. I am looking at settling within a 20 mile radius of Palmer, but not towards Wasilla. Is there a concern for flooding in the area?

Paul
Unfortunately about the only direction you could head to perhaps get away from the wind is towards Wasilla. You might look at some of the subdivisions East of Palmer across the Matanuska River or in the Palmer-Fishhook area to the Northwest of Palmer. Both areas will still be windy but both have lots of trees which will break some of the wind.

I do not think flooding is a real big issue unless you find a place way off the beaten path. What has been an issue in the past is bank erosion along the Matanuska River.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 01:17 AM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,561 posts, read 3,943,696 times
Reputation: 1918
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfieber View Post
Thanks for all the responses for the Palmer area.

Another question on the wind. How bad is it and are there places around the Palmer area to avoid less wind. I am looking at settling within a 20 mile radius of Palmer, but not towards Wasilla. Is there a concern for flooding in the area?

Paul
I drove school bus for a lot of years, all over the Valley. There's some spots in the Butte that seemed to not get as much wind. Someone explained that they sit in a spot where the mountains deflect it...
The only spots you'll see flooding is in any low areas or near streams & rivers. Along the Matanuska River there is some trouble spots. There's also a couple of neighborhoods along Wasilla Creek that I've seen flood too. Oh, and the along the Little Su off of Schrock Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Deltana, AK
857 posts, read 1,617,468 times
Reputation: 1149
There are two winds in the valley - the Matanuska wind and the Knik wind, and they blow at different times under totally different weather conditions. The Matanuska is the worst because it aims cold air right at downtown Palmer during the winter, when there's cold high pressure over the interior, and low pressure on the coast. This wind also affects the Fishhook area, Sutton, Chickaloon, etc, but not Butte, which is right at the mouth of Knik River valley. The wind that blasts Butte is a Chinook, brought on by strong, warm weather systems from the Gulf of Alaska. It's a relatively warm wind in winter, but can blow at any time of year. Wasilla is in a position to get both of these winds, but not as strong.

The areas near Palmer that are somewhat protected from both winds are the Lazy Mountain area (Clark-Wolverine Road, Smith Road, Maud Road), as well as the Old Glenn Highway where it wind along directly below Pioneer Peak. Over there though, you just have to worry about 4 months without direct sun, and occasional avalanches...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 01:57 AM
 
Location: Palmer, AK
167 posts, read 299,698 times
Reputation: 146
Heathen is right on with the valley wind report. The Bodenburg Butte area is immune to to cold, bloody hell wind that rips through the mat su for much of the winter. One thing about that area though is that it can be 18 degrees on the average day in Palmer, and it'll be -13 out in the Butte--no joke. Very common to see this in the winter. And strange because it's only about ten miles away as the crow flies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Deltana, AK
857 posts, read 1,617,468 times
Reputation: 1149
This is true. I used to live out by Hunter Creek, right in the bottom of Knik River Valley, and that's the only place in southcentral I've seen get below -40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,622 posts, read 2,300,255 times
Reputation: 4353
Unfortunately, when the winds start, there is usually little or no warning and they can sometimes last....for......days.....and.....days.

The one bright spot is if the winds are strong enough and last long enough, they will blow all of the snow off my driveway and out of my yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 01:03 PM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,709,924 times
Reputation: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Unfortunately, when the winds start, there is usually little or no warning and they can sometimes last....for......days.....and.....days.

The one bright spot is if the winds are strong enough and last long enough, they will blow all of the snow off my driveway and out of my yard.
I can tell you are one of those glass half full types...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2014, 06:35 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,298 times
Reputation: 11
Default Places to stay in Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
There are two winds in the valley - the Matanuska wind and the Knik wind, and they blow at different times under totally different weather conditions. The Matanuska is the worst because it aims cold air right at downtown Palmer during the winter, when there's cold high pressure over the interior, and low pressure on the coast. This wind also affects the Fishhook area, Sutton, Chickaloon, etc, but not Butte, which is right at the mouth of Knik River valley. The wind that blasts Butte is a Chinook, brought on by strong, warm weather systems from the Gulf of Alaska. It's a relatively warm wind in winter, but can blow at any time of year. Wasilla is in a position to get both of these winds, but not as strong.

The areas near Palmer that are somewhat protected from both winds are the Lazy Mountain area (Clark-Wolverine Road, Smith Road, Maud Road), as well as the Old Glenn Highway where it wind along directly below Pioneer Peak. Over there though, you just have to worry about 4 months without direct sun, and occasional avalanches...

My wife and I will be coming to the Palmer area May 19th through 29th. We are looking for someone who possibly would want to rent out a room for us to stay during this time. This or other inexpensive places to stay would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top