U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 6,284 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of living in the Palmer region of Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:45 PM

487 posts, read 1,317,189 times
Palmer is a rural town north of Anchorage. You feel like you are in your own little part of the world there, but you are still close to the services of Wasilla, which is nice. So if you need stuff Palmer doesn't have, you are still within twenty minutes to all of that. But Palmer itself has small shops downtown, fast food, big box stores, grocery stores, and Fred Meyers. If you need to get to Anchorage, you are within an hour away with traffic free highway. The closest hospital is in Wasilla, but general practices are located in Palmer as well.

Downtown Palmer retains a small town America feel, and the neighborhoods around it vary from suburban to rural, hidden, and set off the road. Palmer is also sort of the hub of agriculture in Alaska (It's not all that much), but you will see farms around the town and Mat-Su region. It is as close to nature as you can get, without leaving the security of civilization.

Nature is all around too, great for exploring, hiking, fishing, whatever you want.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:45 PM

331 posts, read 499,124 times
I would not describe Palmer as Rural.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
I'm not trying to dump on NWbyNW's reply, but I do want to clarify a few points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
Palmer is a rural town
Not rural, like Western Alaska or Southeast... But certainly not urban.

Quote:
But Palmer itself has small shops downtown, fast food, big box stores, grocery stores, and Fred Meyers.
Actually no. No big box stores. In fact Palmer has fought tooth and nail to keep big box stores out. They do have a small Freddies that is groceries only and a Carrs (Safeway). Everything else is small and local.
Wasilla's "big box stores" are limited to Home Depot, Lowes, Sportsman Warehouse, Walmart & Sears. Plus a full service Fred Meyer. Anchorage has almost all the big box stores.

Quote:
The closest hospital is in Wasilla, but general practices are located in Palmer as well.
Hmm... I consider the hospital more in Palmer than Wasilla. And it's on Palmer City Water. If you measured from downtown to downtown, the hospital is about 1/2 way in between.

Quote:
Nature is all around too, great for exploring, hiking, fishing, whatever you want.
Agreed!!!

Palmer is a great town. The pros are the small town feel, the close access to the wilds of Alaska with fairly easy access to modern civilization. The cons: depending on your skill set you may have to look in Anchorage for work and do the commute. And as the Valley has grown, traffic has gotten worse. Not horrible, but not fun at times. They are doing a bunch of road construction of the next few years that'll help though.
Oh, and for me: another con to the Valley is the wind. It's not all the time, but when it blows, it blows. I'm not sure why, but each year I seem to be able to tolerate it less and less. Maybe I'm getting grumpy in my old age...

Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 PM

836 posts, read 1,308,186 times
Agreed that Palmer has its good points.

Traffic- well, depends on when you go but the road back to Anchorage is 2 lane and I often encountered passive/aggressive drivers in left lane who wouldn't move right for faster vehicles so that is traffic.

There is a large volume of commuting between the valley and Anchorage.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM

857 posts, read 1,611,896 times
It can't be overstated that the wind in Palmer can be exceptional, and it blows hardest in winter. I've been just as cold in the parking lot at the Palmer Fred's as I've ever been in the interior. Still though, all things considered, the outskirts of Palmer is probably where I would choose to live if I didn't like my job up here in Delta so darn much.

Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 PM

583 posts, read 652,971 times
I lived off of the Palmer Fishhook for a year or so. I really liked the area, but the town it'self is windy in winter. Also found it to be a bit cliquish, not that there is really anything wrong with that. Beautiful area though. I'd definitely consider it a positive experience and if I had to move back to S. Central AK, would probably look to Palmer as the place to live.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:39 AM

167 posts, read 298,799 times
Palmer is one of the top places to live in AK...

1. Affordability
2. Clean, quiet neighborhoods (lower crime than ANC)
3. Availability of land and homes
4. Good schools
5. Moderate weather by AK standards
6. Centrally located (45 min to Stevens Intntl Airport, Costco, UAA, etc.)
7. Cheaper homes & better homes than you get in ANC

Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 AM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
Rural is an appropriate word to use when describing Palmer to someone from the lower 48. It fits the common definition of the word. More far-flung locations are better off being referred to as "remote."

Old 05-09-2014, 12:52 PM

331 posts, read 499,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Rural is an appropriate word to use when describing Palmer to someone from the lower 48. It fits the common definition of the word. More far-flung locations are better off being referred to as "remote."
Not even close; School competes at AAAA level in sports, 30 miles from the largest population center in the state. Next door to Wasilla the population boom area. Nope not rural in any sense of the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or