U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 944,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The only good thing about politics is the Tea Party. The corruption relates to both the ones in charge of the Republican party, and the ones in charge of the Democrat party. The Tea party wants to kick both out of office, and so a lot of independent Alaskans.
Joe Miller is AK's tea party darling. He's as about as shady as humanly possible.Are you kidding yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 944,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I can't seem to agree with your rational. Once the Tea Party gets in and lowers taxes and shuts down most government services that State will be bankrupt. There wont be enough money to fund the services governments normally provide and without income from taxes there wont be any payments to other than the governor and the legislature and you can bet there will be enough to pay them. Then the public will vote the no government fools out of office and you'll never hear about that type of government again. Those with enough imagination to come up with that type of government are going to prove it don't work that-a-way. And that's who you want to be associated with?
The TP could never accomplish those things anyway. Their entire platform is complete bunk. No state government can control the federal government and people will still have to pay taxes and follow laws just like normal. It would just be a bigger waste of time than usual.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:22 PM

16,183 posts, read 27,535,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I can't seem to agree with your rational. Once the Tea Party gets in and lowers taxes and shuts down most government services that State will be bankrupt. There wont be enough money to fund the services governments normally provide and without income from taxes there wont be any payments to other than the governor and the legislature and you can bet there will be enough to pay them. Then the public will vote the no government fools out of office and you'll never hear about that type of government again. Those with enough imagination to come up with that type of government are going to prove it don't work that-a-way. And that's who you want to be associated with?
The reason why you can’t agree with my rationale is because you are confused as follows:

a. As far as I know, this thread is about Alaska politics. Isn’t it?

b. What political parties have been involved in the governance of Alaska since it became a State?

c. The Tea Party is not one of the two political parties (Democrat and Republican). As such, it’s not a “party,” nor does it have political power that's great enough to change the political landscape of Alaska.

d. The Tea Party movement began sometime around 2009, I believe, and has not had enough pull in Alaska politics. In fact the Libertarians under Ron and Rand Paul have been the most influential in regards to Alaska politics. What happens in Alaska is that a whole bunch of voters are "undeclared" (independent), a great number being libertarian. Most of these voters consider the political powers in charge as being corrupt.

Both the Republicans and Democrats have been the ones in charge since the beginning of AK’s Statehood, and the only way to stop the corruption is by passing laws to make term limits a mandate. But since our representatives in Juneau are the ones who would have agree to such a law, there is no way that they will pass it against their own interests. That leaves a movement such as the Tea party, or maybe the libertarians, trying to kick both the entrenched republicans and Democrats out of office, and that was the point I was trying to make in my previous post.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-20-2014 at 09:31 PM..

Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 PM

16,183 posts, read 27,535,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Joe Miller is AK's tea party darling. He's as about as shady as humanly possible.Are you kidding yourself?
So what? Joe Miller is not one of our representatives in Washington. Lisa, Begich, Don Young are, which are in turn in the list of most corrupt politicians.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:26 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,843,190 times
Well done Ray! Give them hell.)))

Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM

228 posts, read 238,681 times
Excellent points Ray!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 PM

854 posts, read 902,337 times
I can see Russia from my house.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,305,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Long haired pot smoking libertarians, and hippies with guns.

At least that's how I like to see it. Plenty of normal boring people too though I guess, but I think we have exceptionally less "party allegiance" than most states.
Unless you count the members of the "Corrupt Bastards Club".

On second thought, you may be right.

Their allegiance is less to party and more to money.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,305,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
So what? Joe Miller is not one of our representatives in Washington. Lisa, Begich, Don Young are, which are in turn in the list of most corrupt politicians.
Thank God, he's not one of our senators but he came dangerously close to almost being one.

That's "so what".

Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,843,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I can see Russia from my house.
Obviously you see Dezhnev Cape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or