U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2014, 01:00 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 938,171 times
Reputation: 3379

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
As a thought - Why not just fill out a duplicate title/lost title request form. Then you don't have to go back for it.
Because he's cheap and doesn't want to pay the fees. He hasn't been hit with a ticket yet so he's just trying to skate. Meanwhile I bet he's trying like hell to get his PFD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2014, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
3,843 posts, read 3,667,340 times
Reputation: 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Because he's cheap and doesn't want to pay the fees. He hasn't been hit with a ticket yet so he's just trying to skate. Meanwhile I bet he's trying like hell to get his PFD.
Already working on getting the replacement title so bite me. I had registered for the PFD before deciding to take the job and move out of Barrow so bite me again. You're an obnoxious little troll who thinks being an ass makes you edgy but all it does is make you an ass spouting uninformed garbage so I'm putting you on ignore. Have a good day and perform anatomically impossible acts of self love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
3,843 posts, read 3,667,340 times
Reputation: 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
As a thought - Why not just fill out a duplicate title/lost title request form. Then you don't have to go back for it.

Personally, I don't care whether you change them or not, just trying to help you find a solution.

AK has a different way of doing plate registrations then I am used to. (had to look it up for myself, so I know what to expect). State fees and then your borough/city/village fees. The plates are good for 2 years and you don't take your plates with you when you sell... Of course I make the initial outlay back fast, as one of my car payments drop (leases have taxes on the payments here) and my insurance rates also drop.

Unbelievable I know, but as high priced as Anchorage is, it is cheaper than Miami.
Contrary to what the little troll posting here says I've already started working on getting the title.

Anchorage isn't high priced. The bush is high priced. I find the cost of goods here to be comparable to what I would pay in Virginia Beach. The $2.69 for a half gallon of milk I pay here is far better than $7.54 in Barrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
 
Location: sitka, Alaska
228 posts, read 236,159 times
Reputation: 231
Its just like some folks claiming "in state" residency when buying a fishing license when they actually are not, thinking they can get away with it cause they moved here. They will get caught. And I'm not seeing the reason for calling folks names. I know a couple folks been here a while and have not changed plates from Washington and Oregon but its not my place to preach at them. Small town here, cops will eventually notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
3,843 posts, read 3,667,340 times
Reputation: 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
Its just like some folks claiming "in state" residency when buying a fishing license when they actually are not, thinking they can get away with it cause they moved here. They will get caught. And I'm not seeing the reason for calling folks names. I know a couple folks been here a while and have not changed plates from Washington and Oregon but its not my place to preach at them. Small town here, cops will eventually notice.
I'm not trying to get away with anything. Did you read my post? I'm trying to get the damn title to get the registration changed.

If I see a smug troll I'll call them as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 06:46 PM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,691,220 times
Reputation: 2153
Sounds good Wynternight...

As far as expense, I was mainly referring to the cost to register a vehicle, not other prices. Not that I disagree with your statement about those either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
3,843 posts, read 3,667,340 times
Reputation: 3071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Sounds good Wynternight...

As far as expense, I was mainly referring to the cost to register a vehicle, not other prices. Not that I disagree with your statement about those either.
Gotcha. It's not bad in as tax-friendly a state as AK is. In VA I had to pay personal property taxes before I could get the registration and they used to be pretty high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,691,220 times
Reputation: 2153
I remember in 1992 my mother had a 1984 Volvo Wagon that cost $600 for the registration per year. And my step-father had a newer Infiniti J20 that cost over $1200... There is a huge financial penalty to getting a new or newer car in Virginia - beyond the cost of just paying for the vehicle.

Fast Forward to today 22 years later, our new leased car will cost $320 and my truck $220 for two years in AK. Including the MOA fees. (I assume those are every 2 years as well)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 10:29 AM
 
Location: sitka, Alaska
228 posts, read 236,159 times
Reputation: 231
Its all two years here. I cant remember off-hand how much our 2013 Toyota cost to register but it is was not more than 200 bucks. And "winter," wasn't referring to you specifically at all. Not trying to say you are doing anything to "dodge" paying anything. My little bit about fishing licenses is just an example of when someone truly tries to get over on "the system" usually gets caught one way or another. And seriously, what exactly is a troll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2014, 11:25 AM
 
4,718 posts, read 8,691,220 times
Reputation: 2153
Good to know everything is 2 years. I didn't think you were referring to me all is good there.

Leased vehicles are treated like commercial vehicles according to the AK DMV, so the state fee is higher. Then the Volt gets a break because it is light enough that it goes back to a passenger vehicle for the city fee. It is also a 2013, so that fee is higher, since the city does fees by year of vehicle. State is $180 and Anchorage is $140 for the Volt. My truck is heavy (about 7k pounds) - but not a commercial vehicle and a 2011. The state gets $100 and Anchorage gets $120. I hope I read it correctly when it said ACTUAL weight and not GVWR - because that would catapult my truck up to the next level, as my GVWR is 11,500. FWIW, I paid just under $100 for the Volt and $175 for the truck last year, which is only good for one year, down here. $450 in Florida vs. $540 in AK for two years. However, on the lease, I pay $30/month in taxes in Florida, which will disappear once I register in AK. So subtract $720 for a savings of: $630 for the 2 years... So I am not worried about it. Happy to keep my stuff in Florida, happy to move them to AK when it is appropriate.

This Wiki explains an internet troll better than I can: Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top