Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:27 PM

284 posts, read 399,793 times

Advertisements

Ha! Learn something new everyday! Didn't know what that expression meant! Isnt driving a leased vehicle from Fl. to AK, going to kill those "allowable miles per year" or whatever it is? Different subject: spoke to a fellow yesterday that sold his 2006 awd Subaru recently. He was bummed that he could only get 4 grand--it had 27000 miles on it! Just 14 miles of road end to end here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
I just renewed the registration on my 1994 F150 last week. $170 for 2 years. $100 was the State and $70 was for Anchorage

Old 06-02-2014, 04:45 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,459,833 times
rntim - Surprised that was all he could get for a 2006 Subbie... But you now what they say, it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. You have a small market on Sitka too.

As far as allowable miles, we are under those right now, and will of course be over when we get there. But the car will sit for a bit while we do trip #2. I already did a cost analysis, it costs $2500 to ship and then we are without it for 45-60 days. Those are upfront gotta pay right now prices. Right now, we will pay $700 in fuel and if I am over by the number of miles we will drive up there it will cost $1250 miles when we turn in the vehicle in 2016... And I have a car right away. Since I am pulling a trailer with our stuff in it, I can't trailer up a vehicle either. The bad part would be if we didn't make it in AK and then had to drive it back... Then I would bet we would be in potential bad shape at turn in.

The cheapest way to get the car to AK is to drive it. Even putting it on Ferry overall costs more. You gotta pay the piper regardless.

Stiff - Good to know... You got a truck that you can actually fix as the new ones are about impossible without the special tools of a dealer.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM

284 posts, read 399,793 times
Our kid is moving from Anchorage down to Bellingham at the end of the month(job related) and shipping his truck with stuff in it costing him near 5000 bucks. His total move will cost nearly 10 grand! He and his wife don't have the time to drive down cause the shop he works at wont close down till the 3rd week of June and then he has to be on site down there 6 days later.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:44 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,459,833 times
It is expensive to have someone move it for you that is for sure. Hope everything works out well for your kid.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:59 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,746,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
This map is fascinating and goes a long way to answering the question.

Clicking on midwestern counties fascinates me; those people don't go ANYWHERE.
Outside of the major cities in those states, the people in Midwestern AND Southern counties don't go anywhere. Click on even a Georgia county away from its major cities. Click on almost any county in Kentucky. You'll see.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:30 PM

623 posts, read 949,937 times
Probably know more long time residents who moved from Minnesota, Michigan and Wisconsin. Lots of transients between Washington, Oregon and Alaska but they seem to be short term.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,412,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Already working on getting the replacement title so bite me. I had registered for the PFD before deciding to take the job and move out of Barrow so bite me again. You're an obnoxious little troll who thinks being an ass makes you edgy but all it does is make you an ass spouting uninformed garbage so I'm putting you on ignore. Have a good day and perform anatomically impossible acts of self love.
I was a cop in my first career.

It's illegal to not register your car within 30 days of arriving in a state no matter what random excuses you are using.

If you're caught you'll get a ticket, and then you can tell THAT cop he's spouting "uninformed garbage."

ETA: pretty funny that you are the one doing something shady and you're so defensive about being called on it. *shrug*

Old 08-03-2014, 11:22 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
I was a cop in my first career.

It's illegal to not register your car within 30 days of arriving in a state no matter what random excuses you are using.

If you're caught you'll get a ticket, and then you can tell THAT cop he's spouting "uninformed garbage."

ETA: pretty funny that you are the one doing something shady and you're so defensive about being called on it. *shrug*
The 30 day window doesn't start until you do something that shows you intend to establish permanent residency. Otherwise every seasonal worker that drove a vehicle from another state to Alaska would have to change their vehicle registration.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 PM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
Besides, I think that Wynternight has mostly worked in places where he didn't have his vehicle with him, like Barrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska