Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 PM

16 posts, read 92,187 times

Advertisements

A lot of what we see on the D Channel about Alaska has to be B S.
Does anyone have a real info about the Brown family? I'd like to know if what we see has anything at all to do with the truth. They are depicted as being a wilderness family living off the land but their own web site indicates different. Those weird accents cant be Alaskan.
Todd Hoffmans gold show for example and now this new one about the bush babys running around in the woods. Life in Alaska is unique I know but this " reality " crap cant be too real.
I wonder what a true Alaskan would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 10:06 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
All that crap is scripted nonsense.

‘Alaskan Bush People,’ TV reviewÂ* - NY Daily News

Old 05-27-2014, 03:39 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
And as discussed in an earlier thread - they have a web-site and a business. Apparently the cabin is now vacant according to someone else.

This one is easy to pick apart. Enjoy the script and the fake drama.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:48 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
They show this scripted crap because it is what people want to watch. If you were to film a true typical family in the bush the show would be canceled after the first week.

A few years ago there was a tv commercial promoting the Alaskan tourisim industry. Alaskan scenes were being showing while the narrator pitched visiting Alaska. Something just did not seem right but I could not put my finger on it until one day the commercial ran while I was taping some show. I was able to replay the commercial several times until I finally spotted what was not right. One of the scenes was a group of penguins standing on the beach. Not sure where the beach was located, but if it had penguins on it the beach was probably 10,000 miles from Alaska.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:34 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
What is your take on Life Below Zero?

Is it edited, of course, scripted, maybe. But I like it better. For some reason, I feel the people in that show are more genuine. They seem to say what they do, what they use and how they get it.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:23 AM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Advertising is the art of telling believable lies which is something that has allowed the human race to become the dominant force in the World. Anything that is going to used with advertising must, by the very design of the medium, be story boarded so the message massages the senses. If they showed them bedding down in their motel for the night getting their pizzas delivered hot none of the susceptible would watch it because that spoils the effect they are trying so hard to create. Think about why everything is advertising dependent today. From facebook to your cell phone it all exists to deliver you a message however blatant it is. And do you even recognize the message or is it delivered crafted so you don't notice it maybe with penguins on the beach because something cute is necessary to make the beach whole? I'd rather see a Sea Otter but think about what it looks like; Maybe a large rat!!!

Old 05-27-2014, 11:07 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
And do you even recognize the message or is it delivered crafted so you don't notice it maybe with penguins on the beach because something cute is necessary to make the beach whole? I'd rather see a Sea Otter but think about what it looks like; Maybe a large rat!!!
Penguins are cute. Too bad there are none in Alaska.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:54 AM

284 posts, read 404,629 times
"Bush people," total crap. The only real thing is the weather.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:58 AM

305 posts, read 682,795 times
As mentioned in previous posts, I've had no less than three [3] emails soliciting my interest in participating in these reality shows. The latest had to do with housing:

Thursday, May 22, 2014, Michelle James <MichelleJames@leopardfilms.com> wrote:

Dear XX,

I am a Casting Producer on the HGTV show 'House Hunters International' and I thought I would get in touch as I am looking for people living in remote areas for a new series called House Hunters International: Off the Grid. We are looking for people who have moved within the last three years, and I know you have been at XX much longer, but I wonder if you might know any more recent arrivals who would be interested in getting involved?

The original show, 'House Hunters International' is a half-hour TV show currently airing on the Home and Garden Television Network (HGTV) in America and the Travel Channel in the UK. The series is designed to de-mystify the international home-buying process, by going behind the scenes of a house hunt where expats and their real estate agents tour 3 homes. At its core, House Hunters International is a travel show concentrating on the idiosyncrasies of the locales and what makes them special and different.

Here are some links to show you what our show is all about!

http://player.vimeo.com/video/75803046

We are working on an exciting new spin-off show called House Hunters International: Off the Grid and we are looking for adventurous folk who have recently bought or rented properties in weird and wonderful places both in the US and internationally. Ideally they should be outgoing and fun and have moved within the last few years. I thought perhaps some of your contacts might fit the bill!

Please do get in touch if you may be interested in the show.

Best wishes,

Michelle

Michelle James
CASTING PRODUCER LEOPARD FILMS
1-3 St Peter's Street, London N1 8JD - +44 20 7704 3300
michelle.james@leopardfilms.com
Leopard Films

Each time I get one of these - and I'm not sure why they have my email address - I respond on the theme of "you can't be serious?" and expound on how folks who really, actually, truly DO live the various lives of interest they hope to portray likely would not be interested in the invasion of their privacy, the broadcast of their whereabouts, or the scripted utter nonsense. However, and I say this with all the respect I can muster, an ex spouse was the focus of one of the more recent shows, 8 episodes in all, and I'm sure that spouse had the dream of recognition realized because of it.

Which goes to show I'm not always right about who would agree and why, or about authenticity. I can only shake my head, and provide the email address of the lady you'd contact if you were interested in watching yourself on the telly...

Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Penguins are cute. Too bad there are none in Alaska.
Now you're opening up the thread to evolution; why are Penguins only found in the Southern hemisphere? Is it because humans infested the Northern Hemisphere and because Penguins nest in areas that are too easily accessible to the egg predation of humans they never had a chance to populate other than the remote beaches and ice fields of the Southern Hemisphere? Blame your ancestors for not having anything remotely like Penguins way up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska