Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 11,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny-stix View Post
I feel like the people that don't like alaska, are the same people that don't know anything about alaska. Which I will honestly say was in that boat about 8 months ago. Once I got hooked though, I can't get it out of my system. Can't wait for my vacation in March!!! And for those who don't know about alaska and don't like it and think anyone is crazy for wanting to move there, let's keep it that way. I like ANC being from houston. It will be the perfect transition for me going from Texan to Alaskan!!
Or also, those folks wouldnt b happy anywhere

Anyway, what r ur plans in March? pipe dream for me movin there but will definitely vacation there in the next 3 yrs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:43 PM

77 posts, read 104,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcmillin2001 View Post
Or also, those folks wouldnt b happy anywhere

Anyway, what r ur plans in March? pipe dream for me movin there but will definitely vacation there in the next 3 yrs...
Through my, what will hopefully end up being, three week vacation, preferably the last three weeks in March. I will be scouting out a move potentially for the summer of 2016. This will be the first of a few trips if things go as planned. I plan to spend about 5 days in anchorage and surrounding suburb towns. I will take three to four days snowboarding and snow machining in girdwood at alyeska. Then, the real fun begins. I'm going to go all down the kenai pen, hitting all the major towns. Kenai, homer, Seward, ect. Then will make my way back up to anchorage. Only to hop on the train and go up through talkeetna and see Denali, making the other stops the train makes on the way to fairbanks. Probably staying a night in each town if possible. Then, depending on how cold it really is up there in March, I'll probably stay 3-5 days in fairbanks. I am planning for changes in the schedule, with the element of surprise hitting me at every different location. I'm sure I will end up wanting to stay in certain places longer than I expect. And some shorter than I expect. But the main purpose for the trip is to get a feel for anchorage when there is snow on the ground. I have never lived outside of south texas, so have never dealt with the snow on a daily basis, only vacations in mountain villages. I want to see how the city looks in winter, and try to find what part of town I like, and things like that. So I will be starting and finishing for a few days in anchorage because that is most likely where I will begin my alaskan life. But my eventual vision if things are remotely close to the research I have done, I think homer is where I will permanently end up. And speaking of homer, I am trying to schedule a two or three night stay at one of the cabins on the kilcher homestead. I'm not too sure how Alaskans feel about them, but as far as tv families go, they are for sure my favorite and have such a beautiful piece of land. When I found out they have a living museum and cabins available for rent, I knew it was something I had to do.

Sorry for so much info, I am just so excited for this trip I can barely take it. Keep in mind I'm a 23 year old single male. So a lot of the things I will be doing will be adventurous with groups or guides. So all signs are pointing towards I will be attending this trip alone, unless my brother changes his mind, I won't necessarily be alone on the trip except during the travel times. Which for those, I'm glad I'll be alone. I will have the freedom to move on my schedule and to my preferences. And to be able to take everything in without any distractions. Especially on the train. I won't be driving and will have my full attention on the images outside the window.

But the first thing I'm going to do when I land, is go shopping for some proper clothes. The don't sell us close warm enough clothes down here. They keep us prepared for our solid 45 degree frigid winter days. Haha

Old 10-07-2014, 11:07 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,728 times
Quote:
Only to hop on the train and go up through talkeetna and see Denali, making the other stops the train makes on the way to fairbanks. Probably staying a night in each town if possible. Then, depending on how cold it really is up there in March, I'll probably stay 3-5 days in fairbanks.
The Alaska Railroad will still be running their winter schedule in March. One train up to Fairbanks on Saturday, then it returns to Anchorage on Sunday. So you won't be able to "stay a night in each" town on the way. And the only real town the train stops in is Talkeetna.
You won't be able to stay 3-5 days in Fairbanks and then take the train back either. You could fly back to Anchorage.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Through my, what will hopefully end up being, three week vacation, preferably the last three weeks in March. I will be scouting out a move potentially for the summer of 2016. This will be the first of a few trips if things go as planned. I plan to spend about 5 days in anchorage and surrounding suburb towns. I will take three to four days snowboarding and snow machining in girdwood at alyeska. Then, the real fun begins. I'm going to go all down the kenai pen, hitting all the major towns. Kenai, homer, Seward, ect. Then will make my way back up to anchorage. Only to hop on the train and go up through talkeetna and see Denali, making the other stops the train makes on the way to fairbanks. Probably staying a night in each town if possible. Then, depending on how cold it really is up there in March, I'll probably stay 3-5 days in fairbanks. I am planning for changes in the schedule, with the element of surprise hitting me at every different location. I'm sure I will end up wanting to stay in certain places longer than I expect. And some shorter than I expect. But the main purpose for the trip is to get a feel for anchorage when there is snow on the ground. I have never lived outside of south texas, so have never dealt with the snow on a daily basis, only vacations in mountain villages. I want to see how the city looks in winter, and try to find what part of town I like, and things like that. So I will be starting and finishing for a few days in anchorage because that is most likely where I will begin my alaskan life. But my eventual vision if things are remotely close to the research I have done, I think homer is where I will permanently end up. And speaking of homer, I am trying to schedule a two or three night stay at one of the cabins on the kilcher homestead. I'm not too sure how Alaskans feel about them, but as far as tv families go, they are for sure my favorite and have such a beautiful piece of land. When I found out they have a living museum and cabins available for rent, I knew it was something I had to do.

Sorry for so much info, I am just so excited for this trip I can barely take it. Keep in mind I'm a 23 year old single male. So a lot of the things I will be doing will be adventurous with groups or guides. So all signs are pointing towards I will be attending this trip alone, unless my brother changes his mind, I won't necessarily be alone on the trip except during the travel times. Which for those, I'm glad I'll be alone. I will have the freedom to move on my schedule and to my preferences. And to be able to take everything in without any distractions. Especially on the train. I won't be driving and will have my full attention on the images outside the window.

But the first thing I'm going to do when I land, is go shopping for some proper clothes. The don't sell us close warm enough clothes down here. They keep us prepared for our solid 45 degree frigid winter days. Haha
I wish you the best of luck with your travel plans. March is indeed a good time to see Alaska during the winter. It is not too cold in south central Alaska. Although Fairbanks and other locations in the Interior may still be a bit nippy. Once you get north of about Talkeetna, the temperatures start becoming more extreme (hotter during the summers, and colder during the winters) than south central Alaska.

March can also be a big snow month in south central Alaska, although that certainly was not the case this past March. Nevertheless, December and March are typically when we get most of our snow in the Anchorage bowl.

I never heard of the "Kilcher homestead," so I have no opinion either way.

As for providing "so much info," it is usually the opposite of what people complain about on this forum. Usually posters provide too little information for anyone to give them sound advice.

It sounds like you have things planned out rather well. I commend your diligence.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:53 PM

9 posts, read 11,295 times
Quote:
Sorry for so much info, I am just so excited for this trip I can barely take it.
No problem... Look forward to April/May when we get ur full report!!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,161 times
Stop all of you. You're further intensifying my dream of moving to Alaska BUT hubby could never find a job (he's in tech-finance field) so maybe when we retire in um 40 years ha. Enjoy your state because there are some of us who would love to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska