U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:56 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times

Advertisements

Something I will be exploring for sure... Never been sno machining.... But really want to.

IMHO, the problem with off the trail riding is that you don't know what to expect and something may look OK and it isn't. Just like walking across a glacier. If you don't know what you are doing and in most cases don't have other people with you strung together you may find yourself in a crevasse. At which point, as they say, it was nice knowing you. Maybe in a couple hundred years when the glacier continues its retreat they will find your body. Assuming we don't go back into another ice age.

There was a story about a couple of people snow machining across a glacier a couple of years ago. Apparently they were fairly knowledgeable too. And yet they fell into a crevasse and where never seen again... Just something to think about. Must be fun going across frozen lakes too, just gotta make sure that they are, in fact, frozen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 11:37 PM

77 posts, read 65,736 times
As for the one who said you can live in anchorage without actually feeling like anchorage. This might sound pretty stupid, but one thing on my wish list I refuse to compromise on is I want a wood burning stove or fireplace. It's been hard for me to find places reasonable for a young single guy that also has a wood stove. So pretty much, I would be ok with being in anchorage if that meant I had a stove and a way to cut my own wood as well as buy my own. I would like to chop my own but I know in my first few years being by myself, I know there will be many times I just choose to go guy wood rather than chop. I would just like to have the option.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:39 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,525,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny-stix View Post
Do you guys snowmachine a lot? I know it's something I'm going to do a great deal of once I'm there. And wondering if the trails or just free riding in the "back country" even if it's not necessarily out in the back country, are more fun. I know dealing with the powder off the trails is something I'll have to get used to and have practice with, but the open nature of the free riding seems to be a blast. I have only gone trail riding. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the trails, but I'm thinking choosing my own route would be even more fun.
The farther south you go snowmaching, the more dangerous it can be in the back country.

Keep in mind that much of the back country between Anchorage and Fairbanks is marshland. Get up a bit higher in elevation for the best snowmachining -- Eureka on the Glenn or up towards Petersville. Cantwell is good, too. Once temps start to get above freezing, hang it up for the season.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:52 PM

To be honest, I like riding and all that. But I don't know how much glacier or ice lake riding I will be doing. Haha. I'm still a Texas boy at heart. So those type of things scare the **** out of me. I am more of a ride for fun and scenery type of guy. Not necessarily trying to push it to the limit. So unless I'm on a guided tour, I don't see myself going glacier riding anytime soon.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 PM

Would you recommend investing in a brand new sled, or would a nice used one do just fine? From what I have read up on, it seems they lose their value even quicker than cars do. I have looked at a few places that sell used sleds in anchorage, I just don't know which is which is the moment. Like which would be best for the type of riding I'll be doing the most. Or even just knowing what type of riding I'll be doing the most. Haha. But I'm leaning much more towards a used sled, unless someone can advise me not to.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:26 AM

If you can get a good late-model used one, why not? Some people buy a new one every year, particularly in good PDF years, so sure, there are some good deals on used ones. Can't hurt, though, to learn a little about emergency repairs and sub zero survival.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:01 AM

I believe the first year or two I am there full time, I will be taking quite a few courses on outdoors skills an survival techniques for the north. I could make it weeks camping out here in Texas, but camping in Texas and survival mode in alaska are two completely different end of the spectrum. So I plan on taking as many courses as I can for many reasons. Educational. For fun. To meet new people with like interests. And so on. So although I am not too familiar with the north, I am very eager to learn the tricks of the trade of being a little more self reliable rather than paying someone to do something for me like here in houston. Just paid almost $800 to have my brake pads replaced on my car. That's something I would have loved to learn how to do myself and save that nice chunk of change. My dream alaska lifestyle would be to have the option to live and learn as much as I can to handle problems that will arise. While still having the option for the modern conveniences of the modern world.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
Good advice Met - There shouldn't even be an option to not learn emergency repairs and sub zero survival and preparation?

Also should take a course on wildlife encounters and wilderness first aid too... 'cause if you get hurt in the sticks, you might need it in order to survive. To this day, I believe that some of the tragic stories here could have been avoided if the people would have used some common sense and got some training as well.

In Florida there is saying, when seconds count, help is minutes away. In Alaska, it's when seconds count, they are days away. Doesn't apply to major towns here, hopefully I never have to find out, but I bet it applies to the middle of nowhere off the road system places...

Old 09-22-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Good advice Met - There shouldn't even be an option to not learn emergency repairs and sub zero survival and preparation?
You'd be really surprised -- I used to live in an area that was saturated with weekend warriors on sleds. Talk about dumb. I fished one out of the marsh one night in late March...

A general rule of thumb in the outback is to stay off the snow if it doesn't have a "crust."

Old 09-22-2014, 03:14 PM

This is the Texas in me, but what does that mean? If it doesn't have a crust?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska