U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 PM

128 posts, read 117,392 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Anchorage, and considering a move next spring after break up to a small community. I have an 8 yr old son, and looking for a woman/child friendly small town with low crime. And maybe lots of homeschoolers. I haven't been able to explore much, and sometimes just a couple of hours passing through isn't enough time to really get to know a community, and I don't want to keep living in places for a year or two, then moving. I'm looking for a great community to stick to. Have my own place again, a garden, maybe some chickens. I'm considering Talkeetna or Anchor Point, but open to something similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 10:45 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,521,189 times
I don't know a thing about Anchor Point, but Talkeetna is fabulous, and I'm sure it has what you're looking for.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:25 AM

Thanks! I need to get some winter tires on my car, and a brake job, then I can go check it out.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 PM

15,582 posts, read 33,172,081 times
I live closer to Anchor Point but think Talkeetna is a better choice. Anchor Point area seems to have gone downhill over the past year with drugs and crime issues.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:34 PM

203 posts, read 247,051 times
Well I live just outside Homer towards Anchor Point. Once you are out of city limits. The whole borough is kind of the same. Keeping chickens, gardens, high tunnel greenhouses, are all allowed. You need to find the right neighborhood. I would start looking at Kasilof and heading towards Anchor Point. The towns like ninilchik have an elementary school only. The people that live near there would tend to homeschool because of the driving distance to Homer or Soldotna for High school.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 PM

Thanks! It's supposed to snow this weekend, otherwise I'll plan on a trip.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:18 AM

I made it for a visit to Talkeetna, nice & quiet in the off season. Great pizza place there.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:56 PM

843 posts, read 1,544,141 times
Ninilchik's school is a K-12.
Anchor Point's is PreK-8. The past couple of years, they've outperformed the Homer schools--currently ranked 18th in the state.
Chapman School: One of

Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 AM

878 posts, read 1,313,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I live closer to Anchor Point but think Talkeetna is a better choice. Anchor Point area seems to have gone downhill over the past year with drugs and crime issues.
That's really a shame to hear. I am so tired of druggies and the crime associated with them. It seems that society is just accepting it as "that's life" and I completely disagree with the attitude. I'm all for legalizing marijuana, but I'd like to come down HARD on drugs like meth, heroin, etc. Dealers should be charged as terrorists, and users as accessories to terrorism. It's time to get tough. If there's a better idea, like legalizing all drugs and making them cheap to take the profit out of it, then coming down hard on crimes committed while under the influence, then I'd be on board with that, too. But the current model is horrible. I don't mean to derail the thread, but it's too bad that one town the OP is looking at seems to be under assault from this scourge.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:07 PM

15,582 posts, read 33,172,081 times
It's gotten to the point it is all over down here. Nikiski has been hit hard with the druggies and thefts, as well as the Kasiloff area. Reading the trooper reports every day, you get a good indication where they are and where they move. Sterling area even has increased in that crap the past couple months. Half the problem is they let them out of jail with nothing more than a slap on the wrist and they go right back to stealing and dealing. It's gotten to the point I'm favoring seeing some of these scumbags getting shot by breaking in to a place that is occupied or a homeowner shooting first and asking questions later when they are out in the yard stealing items that someone worked hard for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska