Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 01:58 AM

773 posts, read 1,939,834 times

Advertisements

I will be on the Alaskan Highway from Oct 16th to the 20th or so, is there a site that monitors the weather along the route from Seattle? Kind of give us an idea of what to expect along the way and what the forcast is going to be? I did a search but didn't come up with what I am looking for.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:00 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
DriveBC for British Columbia roads.

DriveBC Road Conditions and Events

511Yukon for Yukon Roads

Current Road Conditions - Highways and Public Works - Government of Yukon

Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
And for Alaska

Alaska 511 - Transportation & Public Facilities, State of Alaska.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Washington State.

Washington State Traveler Information

Old 10-02-2014, 10:06 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Yep. Wartpman & Stiffneck have given you the best ones... And if you don't already have it, I'd recommend having The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner .

Old 10-02-2014, 10:12 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Nice thing is that those sites also have webcams links on them so you can actually SEE what the road looks like in certain spots. Problem is that once I get into Canada my cell phone and data capabilities seem to disappear quick. And make sure you have a Canada plan if you plan on using them too. So I make sure to check things out prior to leaving the hotel in the morning - assuming I stopped at one.

Also, if someone drives into a gas station coming from the other direction, stop and ask them. You can also ask the gas station clerk. You can also pass along what you ran into.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:38 AM

Don't drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night, lots of critters on the road in between. And you'd miss some great scenery.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:28 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Nice thing is that those sites also have webcams links on them so you can actually SEE what the road looks like in certain spots. Problem is that once I get into Canada my cell phone and data capabilities seem to disappear quick. And make sure you have a Canada plan if you plan on using them too. So I make sure to check things out prior to leaving the hotel in the morning - assuming I stopped at one.

Also, if someone drives into a gas station coming from the other direction, stop and ask them. You can also ask the gas station clerk. You can also pass along what you ran into.
I "roamed" in Canada on Verizon and had better service there than I did after I got into Alaska, and my bill was not insane or anything but I don't remember how much it was. Whatever the roaming charges were they were insignificant and I talked on the phone (with a bluetooth thingy) with my cousin and one of my sisters much of the drive up to keep myself alert because I was making time to beat the weather and to arrive before my cousin left for Colorado. Four days from Tehachapi to North Pole, not counting one lost travel day in Humboldt County to get my radiator looked at. Same time of year... I made the trip 12 October - 16 October last year.

Be mindful of Canadian Thanksgiving and early fuel station closures. That would have jammed me up in Iskut but I had plenty of fuel in the back of my truck. Didn't know they did Thanksgiving.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:39 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I have and it involved quite the pucker factor when Moose on 2 separate occasions ran in front of us. If I ended up in the same position again, I would wait on the side of the road until daylight. (All the hotels were booked in Watson, but not at the Northern Rockies Lodge. Didn't make it while it was still light out.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:40 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Oh I forgot to mention, I did not want to use a bunch of data while roaming so I would call my sister and have her look up the weather along my route for me and my cousin would tell me what was happening in Alaska. That worked for me, but if you have a signal and are not worried about data charges I'm sure doing it on your own would be easier.

I made sure that my family all knew my planned route and timing, had my driver's license #, vin# and make, model and year of my truck, license plate#, passport# in case anything happened on my trip. Actually, I do that anytime I travel... Unfortunately I learned the hard way that it is important for family to have that information in the event of an emergency and I recommend it, especially when traveling internationally. At the beginning and end of each day I check in with a designated person: "Arrived in Watson Lake." In the morning I check in again: "Departing Watson Lake 0800 destination Whitehorse 1500" or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska