Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 AM

39 posts, read 58,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Alaska can be a great place to get away, but unless you are wealthy you will have to deal with anchorage or Fairbanks crowds for supplies.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like your like a nice piece of land away from it all. Your family's slice of paradise?

If you work, you will ha e to deal with society. In order to feed your family you will have to deal with society.

A hub might be what you seek, but you'd always have to deal with being the outsider.
Pm me and f you'd like. I can share more with you.
Nothing here to correct!

I have no problem with having to return to town for supplies or work, because this is on my terms. What I don't want is to be like people living in town. I don't want a T.V., Xbox, new vehicle, etc.

What I want: A dry warm house that's 700-800 sq/ft. on 10 acres with the ability to grow some of my food in a garden/green house, harvest fish, hunt, fish some more, hike, explore, and then, hunt some more! I'm very independant and I have many skills. Barter is better than cash to me. I would like to have a couple close friends to share and trade with..."the K.I.S.S. principle".

Old 05-04-2015, 08:30 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

Good thing Anchorage is only 15 minutes from Alaska.
Oh yes...have heard all the Los Anchorage jokes

I love that city and don't care if Alaskans make fun of me for deciding to live a mere 15 minutes away from the REAL state

Old 05-04-2015, 09:02 AM

950 posts, read 923,628 times
Here is how two different families from Minnesota were able to relocate to Alaska and live out their dream in the wilderness...........in both cases the husband was in perfect health and worked construction. He was making good wages, but was worried about going to Alaska with no steady income.

He found a disability SS lawyer and said he now has a hard time getting along with co-workers.

PRESTO !............The lawyers said that there was a mental condition that now made him eligible for a monthly check from us taxpayers.

Yes, I know two different men who pulled that scam and they now send letters and postcards back to relatives in Minnesota bragging how hard they work and how self sufficient they are living their dream in Alaska.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Oh yes...have heard all the Los Anchorage jokes

I love that city and don't care if Alaskans make fun of me for deciding to live a mere 15 minutes away from the REAL state
Would you mind sharing a couple of those "LOS ANCHORAGE" jokes?! TY

In a "PM" would be fine too! LOL

Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brynnenjosh View Post
Would you mind sharing a couple of those "LOS ANCHORAGE" jokes?! TY

In a "PM" would be fine too! LOL
It's more or less embedded in the fact Anchorage gets jokingly referred to as "Los Anchorage"

I did find this though...it's pretty funny!

Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Compared to where I lived before and where I am now, Anchorage's idea of "crowds" are nothing. I've been in Anchorage both during winter and summer months. Totally doable. It feels like you get the benefits of living in a small city, without the stress of a zillion cars on the road or crowds of people do deal with all the time.

It's perfect. Moreover, Anchorage's geographical area is not very large so everything in the city is easily accessible. The furthest away we'd consider living from Anchorage would be Eagle River or Chugiak, but hubs wants to live in the city itself so we can be closer to the airport, therefore reducing his commute. He HATES commuting lol. I'm willing to commute further than he is.
I came from metro ATL where a 20 mile ride could turn into a 2 hour commute...I hate commuting.

Anchorage isn't that bad, but it is still a city.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:41 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:

What I want: A dry warm house that's 700-800 sq/ft. on 10 acres with the ability to grow some of my food in a garden/green house, harvest fish, hunt, fish some more, hike, explore, and then, hunt some more! I'm very independant and I have many skills. Barter is better than cash to me. I would like to have a couple close friends to share and trade with..."the K.I.S.S. principle".
this dream is doable, but a commute will have to happen.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:50 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Don't get me wrong, I love living in Alaska and intend to spend the rest of my life here, but I don't understand why people think they need to move up here to live in a cabin and have a garden and hunt and live an independent lifestyle and get away from crowds and whatnot. Most of those things can be done better in various parts of the Lower 48 than here, honestly.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
I understand that there are States that are doing better than others, like Texas, North & South Dakota, Arizona, etc. I believe Alaska is doing better than most too. The above mentioned States are much more conservative / libertarian (freedom minded), IMO. The majority of America is doing quite well. There are about 12 States dragging down the rest of the country. If my memory serves me correctly, all but 2 of the 12 are Liberal-Progressive, which is the problem. If only more people understood BASIC economics?!
My point, again, is that Alaska is facing serious budget shortfalls that don't bode well for the future. Unless you missed it, you never did say what type of work you do, but I hope you have a job lined up before you load up the truck.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love living in Alaska and intend to spend the rest of my life here, but I don't understand why people think they need to move up here to live in a cabin and have a garden and hunt and live an independent lifestyle and get away from crowds and whatnot. Most of those things can be done better in various parts of the Lower 48 than here, honestly.

Okay, I'll bite.

Where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska