U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:31 PM

24 posts, read 55,473 times

Advertisements

I know. If only i would move...so tell me, do you love your state. What are the best and worst aspects of it. Is there a nursing shortage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 PM

20,484 posts, read 26,621,404 times
The worse thing is Alaska Airlines...true sharks of the worst kind.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM

I have heard they were a bit unreliable from a book. LOL. Good to hear. If I do make the trip, it will be as a travelling nurse. That will entail me, the car, the dog, the important things.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 PM

21,358 posts, read 32,362,557 times
http://www.ykhc.org/

The local health corporation.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 PM

Thank you!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,032,049 times
As far as I know there's nurse shortages everywhere. We also need good teachers.
There aren't pros and cons so much as there are benefits and concessions. We enjoy the beautiful scenery, eccentric people, and tight knit communities, but in turn we have to put up with AK Air robbing us blind, at times difficult travel considerations, and higher costs of living. I've found with people, either they absolutely LOVE Alaska or they just can't stand it.
The truth is, remoteness is relative. Alaskan towns that are isolated tend to have more amenities than comparatively sized towns down south because you can't just drive into the city to get that stuff. Where I'm staying right now in Idaho it's two and a half hours down a horrible highway to get to an airport- a drive like that is unthinkable in Alaska because almost every town, and certainly every town off the road system, has a commercial airport. AK Air is usually the only airline that flies there, but whatever.
Does that help?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:26 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,448,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
In reality, he hopped off it already. Who knows where he's hopping now.....
I got a message from rance they were heading to swedens aunts and were also planning on hopping over to Norway

eileen60
If possible plan a vacation to check it out, we went on a 10 day trip the first week in Sept and loved it !!!
We were lucky enough to meet and hangout with a few of the folks from here
the above mentioned rance & sweden along with Metlakatla.

They say you shouldn't judge a place to live by just a vacation but between the vacation and the getting to know a bunch of folks here we would move in a heartbeat.

if you want I can DM you some of the photos from our trip

Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,609,669 times
Default "Alaska is a poisoned paradise"

"It can thrill you, and it can kill you. If the cold, the ice, the grizzlies, the wild seas, the mountains, the loneliness, the wolves, the prices, the snow, the sourdoughs, or the five thousand earth quakes per year don't kill you, the five hundred and eighty-six billion bat-sized mosquitoes will!"

*It snowed in Sweden! Happy New Year! We are only 5 1/2 hours away from 2008 in Sweden!

*Sweden here: Soldotna and Kenai are ok, but nothing beats Sterling
In Kenai at the beach one can see three volcanoes (Redoubt, Spur and Illiamna), and just next to the beach is an old Russian church that has got some sort of a... distinction as a local heritage )it's part of the old Kenai, from back when the Russians moved in and built the town).
Jupp, we've got some snow now, but usually we have lots and lots and lots of snow around this time of year. Darn global warming...

Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 AM

21,358 posts, read 32,362,557 times
Rance, it snowed after you left on the Peninsula, dumped actually. Of course that would be just your luck...

Old 12-31-2007, 12:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,004,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen60 View Post
I know. If only i would move...so tell me, do you love your state. What are the best and worst aspects of it. Is there a nursing shortage?
I lived in Alaska for a year. I thought I would like it, but turned out I couldn't wait to get out. It has its good, though. As well as its bad.

Good:
* Restaurants uniformly excellent
* Excellent local brew
* Fresh salmon
* It can be pretty if you get out of the city - it's not the Swiss or French alps, but it's okay
* Cute otters/sea creatures
* Government pays people a couple of grand to live there
* Welfare pays out BIG if you're an adoptive parent
* Adverse possession permissible and common
* Big Awl pays BIG money for qualified people
* The Nordstrom in downtown Anchorage
* Close to Canada
* State Fair can be fun
* Did I mention GOOD FOOD? Good restaurants?
* Lots of video rental stores and tanning salons
* You can still find fast food places that have gone defunct in the states, e.g., Arbys, Baskin Robbins, Dairy Queen, etc.
* Fur Rondy. Alaskans take every opportunity to set of fireworks

Bad:
* Two months of passable weather
* 70% precipitation year 'round
* Everything you want to do - skiing, fishing - is prohibitively expensive
* The eternal night in winter will make you crazy
* But the eternal sunlight in summer is MUCH worse
* Astonishing no. of former child predators
* Weather eats cars alive. Plan on a new car each year.
* Domestic violence against women worst in the U.S.
* 2nd largest population of White Surpremacists (Montana is first)
* Big drinking/drug culture
* Cost of food, clothes, entertainment, etc. - this is the WORST. If you can't afford to enjoy the things you love about Alaska, there's no use going there.
* Cell phone service blows
* Schools blow even more.
* Limited specialized medical care
* Cabin fever
* Corneal frostbite
* Moose, bears, other wildlife, wandering into town
* Slipping on the ice, twisting ankles, wrists, etc.
* Alaskan weird obsession with the size of their state. Who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska