Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 17,380 times

Advertisements

OK Eileen, I've been here for 25 years, is there anything that you would like to know more specifically?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 10,650 times
Default Hello

Hey there,
Just found this forum, my family and I have lived in Sterling Soldotna area for about 13 yrs. Both kids in local schools, any question about the area let me know. We are involved in a lot of stuff. School sports, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, hunting, fishing, trapping, hiking, boating, snowmachining, atv's you name it we do it.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:05 PM

24 posts, read 63,691 times
Many questions...While I realize there is a nursing shortage nationwide, some places aren't as short as others. Thanks for the NSG website. Having moved to Louisiana from a very small town in the mountains of NC I don't mind small town life. That said, how are the locals to the new kids (or me the adult) in town. NC can be a bit touchy when it comes to religion and who belongs. I have not looked at Sterling yet. Ok, here is the start of stupid questions from me...Are larger animals a real problem in smaller cities (rural areas)? Is it true that the weather eats your car, or is it just tough on them? Is all wheel drive acceptable or must it be 4x4 specific? I read that ACS has pretty good cell usage, is it true? If necessary, and say someone died and I had to leave the state, is it true that you can be stuck for sometime? What the hell is corneal frostbite? That one scared me.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
Well, whereas, yes there is a nursing shortage, Alaska is not in on the reciprocity that North Carolina adheres to. My wife is an RN, also live in small town NC, not mountains though, Betsy works at Butner, yup, the Macadamia Ranch, would love to go back to Alaska, but, her nursing license, up there, is not worth much. One would think that an RN is an RN and recognized as such anywhere in the US. But...NOOOOOOOOOO.... there are several testing curriculums and they do not co-operate with each other. Her years of nursing school and her passing the state boards don't cut it but in about half of the US, the other half (including Alaska) test differently. Apparently it is more difficult than one would expect it to be to transfer the Nursing License to a state under a different system. From what we have read thus far, it seems as if going back to school and retesting is necessary. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't visit Alaska. It is wonderful, (perhaps I am biased) wonderful scenery in most directions. It was certainly worth the effort and expense for the visit. Alaska is a sub-arctic rain forest. I have spent years of my life in tropical rainforests, W. Africa, C. and S. America, SE Asia, rainforests have inherent dangers, quite real, and quite different depending on location. Just as the heat can have deadly repercussions in W. Africa, the cold is another hazard entirely, all sorts of things freeze at 50 or 60 below, some things were not intended to be frozen, ergo, the hazard part. Rainforests are survive-able. Do your homework. and, the hardest part, Don't make assumptions. Ask Questions. D

Old 12-31-2007, 09:49 PM

24 posts, read 63,691 times
Thanks for the info, I will look at it. E

Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 AM

145 posts, read 570,495 times
I too have spent some time wondering about this Corneal Frostbite. I remember skiing when the mercury was -35...with a wind-chill of I can't imagine; is corneal frostbite a legitimate concern above, say, -40?

Thanks,
Deb

Old 01-01-2008, 11:29 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Government pays people a couple of grand to live there

I give up.

You cannot name even ONE year when the PDF was "a couple of grand", because IT NEVER WAS. Stop spreading lies and learn to count.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:49 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
The most the PFD has ever been was $1963 per person in 2000, and after that the amount was pretty low for a while. However, it is on the rise again- the last two years have seen the greatest increases percentage wise in history- 49% between 2006 and 2007, compared to an average 10-20% annual increase in the past.

Source: Past Dividend Amounts, State of Alaska Permanent Fund Division (http://www.pfd.state.ak.us/dividendamounts/index.aspx - broken link)

Last edited by Xa'at; 01-01-2008 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-01-2008, 02:11 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Early bird applications are now available.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
I too have spent some time wondering about this Corneal Frostbite. I remember skiing when the mercury was -35...with a wind-chill of I can't imagine; is corneal frostbite a legitimate concern above, say, -40?

Thanks,
Deb
Wear goggles. It helps.

When I first moved there, I noticed *no one* outside. I mean, the place is dead. I tried to go for a brief run around the park. All it took was ten minutes. I spent the next week with ointment leaking out of my eyes, in serious pain. It's Minnesota cold - you just Do. Not. Go. Outside ... in the winter unless you want to hurt.

It's not just the cold, it's the *dry* cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska