Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 9,833 times

Advertisements

We are possibly looking at a move to Cordova. What can you tell us? We are in our mid 50's and looking to become big city drop outs. What are the job situations like? Can an outsider even expect to be hired? Are outsiders welcomed by the locals? Where we are living now nepotsm is a way of life and outsiders are not the first in line when it comes to jobs or local favortism. On average, how many days a year does the area get sunshine? Anything you could tell us would be of value to us and greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Barber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:44 PM

103 posts, read 353,269 times
First of all, the job situation varies widely between summer and winter. You would need to be more specific as to the type of jobs you would be looking for. Outside of the fishing industry, there is some construction going on at times, but not a whole lot else. If you have a biology background, you may find something. Also perhaps work with the city, school district, or medical center.

In terms of nepotism, I think every small town experiences it to one degree or another. I wouldn't rate Cordova as having a major issue with it, though.

Sunshine??? Are you kidding? :-)

We do see that bright ball in the sky from time to time, but we are in a rainforest. Of course, the upside to this is our mild winters, as compared to most of Alaska.

With Cordova, you either love it or you hate it - there is not much in between.

I love it!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:02 PM

103 posts, read 353,269 times
I just thought I'd add that I was immediately welcomed as an outsider in Cordova - much of this probably has to do with attitude and a willingness/ability to fit in. Leave the big city and Outside attitudes behind, and Cordova is a very friendly and welcoming place. Start trying to fit people into your mold, and they will probably write you off quickly.

I suggest a visit between October and April - hang out in the bars a little, get to know people (locals). This would give you a much better idea of what you can expect.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:21 PM

17 posts, read 56,372 times
Barber,

My family and I moved to Cordova sight unseen in July 2006, I had gotten a teaching job at the High School. We were welcomed with open arms when we got there. people would walk up to us on the street and ask us which one of us was the teacher and which one was the carpenter. Like that was a big stretch... But anyway, we were and felt welcomed. We have made some life long friends. Due to family issues we had to move back to NC this past June. But now that we have an end in sight with the issues, we are planning to return to AK as soon as possible. If the move back to NC taught us anything, it is how much we love and miss AK! The first thing you will notice is that Cordova is like going back in time 50 years. The pace of life is different. People take time to stop and smell the flowers. If you have any particular questions, please don't hesitate to ask. You might want to pre- arrange housing, due to its limitations. Winter is the best time to have a choice in rentals. There are several apartments that are furnished, but you need to arrange that in advance.

Dreamers

Old 01-26-2008, 06:40 PM

201 posts, read 823,117 times
My family moved here to Cordova last summer and on the topic of being (un)welcome I have to say this has been the EASIEST community to ever really feel part of. My husband's job has us moving every 2-4 years so we've been the new kids on the block a lot of times, and this has been a great experience. I found work immediately w/ the school, my kids all found playmates right away, the church we chose was very warm and welcoming. I was just thinking last night at a big basketball game here, as I cheered on "our boys" that they really and truly felt like MY team- and that honestly doesn't happen everywhere we live.

Cordova is NOT an "easy" place, the elements are rough- in the winter it is cold, wet, and dark- this is essentially a bush community with very limited shopping and services. It's isolated- no road in or out. There are limited medical resources, no street mail delivery, prices are high for everything... but it's been worth all that to experience this natural beauty and great community!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 18,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber View Post
We are possibly looking at a move to Cordova. What can you tell us? We are in our mid 50's and looking to become big city drop outs. What are the job situations like? Can an outsider even expect to be hired? Are outsiders welcomed by the locals? Where we are living now nepotsm is a way of life and outsiders are not the first in line when it comes to jobs or local favortism. On average, how many days a year does the area get sunshine? Anything you could tell us would be of value to us and greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Barber

Testing....

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Might find stuff here.

cordovachamber.com - Home

Cordova, Alaska (AK) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 19,595 times
Default Need some help please

I am writing a book, a novel actually, that centers around Cordova. Don't ask why I chose to write about a place I have never been to..... it just looks so amazingly beautiful and like the perfect setting.
I have some really stupid basic questions that the world wide web resolutely refuses to answer. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that is able to help me.....

Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Sure, I'd be glad to help you. Here's some free advice: don't write a book about a place you've never even been to.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleneMck View Post
I am writing a book, a novel actually, that centers around Cordova. Don't ask why I chose to write about a place I have never been to..... it just looks so amazingly beautiful and like the perfect setting.
I have some really stupid basic questions that the world wide web resolutely refuses to answer. I am wondering if there is anyone out there that is able to help me.....
Maybe Cordova, Spain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska