Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,998 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am considering taking a job offer that would move me to Anchorage or Fairbanks. I am a Geologist and would not be making the move until Spring if I took the position. After the limited research I have done so far I see that the cost of living in Fairbanks is about 25% higher than here in Sault Ste Marie, MI. Anchorage isn't too much more maybe 5% more.

I am wondering how far an after tax salary of 65K/yr goes in the Fairbanks or ANC area. I have traveled to Alaska but always the South East and only once as far as Anchorage, I know the interior is a different story. I also spent 12 yrs in the Marine Corps so the family is used to moving. I have a wife and 4 children 14, 10, 2, and 3 months.

In figuring my income I only deducted federal taxes I was told there is no State income tax, but are there local/city income taxes in Fairbanks or the surrounding towns/villages?

I would like suggestions on where to look for housing, I don't want to live downtown Anchorage or Fairbanks but are there areas to specifically avoid, are any of the surrounding towns not desirable? Just trying to make our premove house hunting as efficient as possible.

Last does anyone have experience with UAA or UAF's grad school in case I choose to keep going? What are your impressions, and good or bad opinions?

Thanks,

JT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
There's property taxes in Anchorage, the MatSu Valley and Fairbanks. In the Valley (a bedroom area about 45 minutes to an hour north of Anchorage) there is a 3% sales tax in Wasilla & Palmer. No sales tax in Anchorage.
An after tax salary of 65K in Anchorage or the Valley would be okay, depending on your lifestyle, debt load, etc.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Our household income is about 85% of the figure you quoted, and we do okay here on the Peninsula. No kids, though. After a couple years you'll be eligible for the permanent fund dividend which will help you out some, unless it's a bad year (this year was $1800 per person).

You'll probably end up changing your diet somewhat to live within a reasonable grocery budget, or take up fishing/hunting to stock your freezer. We are not fishers or hunters, so we have fewer meat-eating days here as a result.

I think living in Anchorage will be cheaper as far as utilities goes. Fairbanks summers are hot, enough to require A/C, and winters last a long time and are very, very cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska