U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:37 PM

249 posts, read 263,878 times

Advertisements

I understand that most food and household items are expensive in AK, mostly because they have to be imported or transported from the lower 48. But are there any locally produced (and cheaper) goods too?

I'm wondering if locals are able to substitute expensive items for cheaper, local ones (with fewer choices of course)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 PM

607 posts, read 849,879 times
Not all local goods are cheaper in Alaska. For example....I can get the milk and eggs that Fred Meyer and Safeway ships in from the Lower 48 cheaper than the stuff that comes from Delta Junction, less than 100 miles away. It certainly isn't as fresh, but it is cheaper.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 PM

16,167 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Not all local goods are cheaper in Alaska. For example....I can get the milk and eggs that Fred Meyer and Safeway ships in from the Lower 48 cheaper than the stuff that comes from Delta Junction, less than 100 miles away. It certainly isn't as fresh, but it is cheaper.
Good points. The cheaper products in Alaska are the ones both of Safeway and Fred Meyer brands, then other products that are shipped here from both of these companies. However, Alaska potatoes are quite cheap and readily available around Anchorage and Fairbanks. Alaska "home grown" foods other than a very few, are very expensive, as well as the organic stuff brought in from the lower-48.

That said, Fred Meyer over by University Ave. has been bringing-in more and more organic foods, from meats to produce each day. A small organic chicken costs from $13.00 to $22.00 depending on weight, but the larger ones are about one and one-half the size of one of the frozen hens at the store (not very large).

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,687,313 times
Ray, is that organic stuff over at Fred's local or no? I don't go there unless I have to.... it's too big and it freaks me out. I go to Ghetto Safeway over on College Road. Small, friendly... great customer service. Those Bell's tomatoes from Anchorage always tick me off. I cannot stomach paying $5/lb for a crappy dang beefsteak tomato. I buy the Romas from Calexico for half that and call it a day.

Does anyone shop at the co-op? I go in there for a few things that no one else sells but aside from that, their prices are pretty crazy. I mean I'd like to be able to shop there, but I'm not made of money. I do go to Farmer's Market when it's in season. Their prices are generally really good, the produce is so much more fresh, it lasts a lot longer, a lot of it is organic, and of course I get to give my money to local farmers instead of to The Man.

I wish I knew where you could get raw milk around here. You used to be able to buy it from the Amish when I lived in Kansas.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:09 AM

857 posts, read 1,611,896 times
The only way to get cheap local food is in bulk. In season, you can drive right up to Peter Pan in Valdez and buy 200 pounds of fish. At Delta Meat and Sausage, you can buy half a cow. There are several places where you can slaughter your own pigs... I don't know the prices, but I know it's economical. Having a good size chest freezer is highly recommended up here.

Otherwise, just shop at Costco / Sam's Club.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 AM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
Most the locally produced stuff I've seen is more expensive than stuff brought in from out of state...

Old 10-15-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Ray, is that organic stuff over at Fred's local or no? I don't go there unless I have to.... it's too big and it freaks me out. I go to Ghetto Safeway over on College Road. Small, friendly... great customer service. Those Bell's tomatoes from Anchorage always tick me off. I cannot stomach paying $5/lb for a crappy dang beefsteak tomato. I buy the Romas from Calexico for half that and call it a day.

Does anyone shop at the co-op? I go in there for a few things that no one else sells but aside from that, their prices are pretty crazy. I mean I'd like to be able to shop there, but I'm not made of money. I do go to Farmer's Market when it's in season. Their prices are generally really good, the produce is so much more fresh, it lasts a lot longer, a lot of it is organic, and of course I get to give my money to local farmers instead of to The Man.

I wish I knew where you could get raw milk around here. You used to be able to buy it from the Amish when I lived in Kansas.
No. The organic food at Fred Meyer comes from the lower-48. But there may be some "home grown" stuff (not all necessarily organic, but some is) at the Marketplace between Noble and Cushman downtown.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:21 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Good points. The cheaper products in Alaska are the ones both of Safeway and Fred Meyer brands, then other products that are shipped here from both of these companies. However, Alaska potatoes are quite cheap and readily available around Anchorage and Fairbanks. Alaska "home grown" foods other than a very few, are very expensive, as well as the organic stuff brought in from the lower-48.

That said, Fred Meyer over by University Ave. has been bringing-in more and more organic foods, from meats to produce each day. A small organic chicken costs from $13.00 to $22.00 depending on weight, but the larger ones are about one and one-half the size of one of the frozen hens at the store (not very large).
Ouch!

You can get a three pound whole rotisserie chicken at CostCo for $4.99. Even Safeway and Three Bears sells whole rotisserie chicken for $7.99. Fred Myers has fried, barbequed, and baked chicken for $7.99, but I have not seen a whole rotisserie chicken. A frozen Coleman whole organic chicken runs $2.29/lb at Costco. If you are paying $22 for a raw whole organic chicken, then it had better weigh at least 9.5 pounds or you are getting robbed.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 PM

17,850 posts, read 19,589,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The only way to get cheap local food is in bulk. In season, you can drive right up to Peter Pan in Valdez and buy 200 pounds of fish. At Delta Meat and Sausage, you can buy half a cow. There are several places where you can slaughter your own pigs... I don't know the prices, but I know it's economical. Having a good size chest freezer is highly recommended up here.

Otherwise, just shop at Costco / Sam's Club.
Three Bears also sells their meat in bulk, and it is more economical. Unfortunately, their meat is not of the best quality. At least Safeway and Fred Myers also sell Angus beef. New Sagaya sells Harris Ranch beef.

Weekly Specials - Alaska - Three Bears

I concur, at least a 10 cu. ft. freezer or larger, and a decent size pantry, is highly advisable.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Ouch!

You can get a three pound whole rotisserie chicken at CostCo for $4.99. Even Safeway and Three Bears sells whole rotisserie chicken for $7.99. Fred Myers has fried, barbequed, and baked chicken for $7.99, but I have not seen a whole rotisserie chicken. A frozen Coleman whole organic chicken runs $2.29/lb at Costco. If you are paying $22 for a raw whole organic chicken, then it had better weigh at least 9.5 pounds or you are getting robbed.
Well, Fred Meyer does sell whole chickens that are fried, and so forth, but I don't think that they are "organically grown" chickens. The organic stuff is quite expensive over here. Sam's Club too, sells the same type of chicken (fried, BBQ'ed, etc.), but it is not organic. Also, we don't have a Costco in Fairbanks.

Now the organic chickens I buy at Fred Meyer aren't Kroger brand, and come pre-packaged with some kind or fluid added. It means that if I buy a 6-pound chicken and pay the Costco $2.29 a pound, the cost is $13.74, which is a little under what I would pay for a package containing two uncooked chickens at Sam's Club. But if I buy a single chicken at Fred Meyer or Safeway, a chicken that is of the same size as the one at Sam's Club, I would be paying around $12.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or