U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 PM

20,466 posts, read 26,595,212 times

Advertisements

took away my bottle at the security counter at Alaska Airlines and I am quite sure that as I am typing this, that particular employee is enjoying my $50 bottle of Oregon Pinot. Those people truly have no soul. I only hope that they aren't chomping on red meat or some such inappropriate pairing while swilling down my wine.

No, I don't read the list of what you can or can't take in your carry on; it changes every time I fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 09:43 PM

24 posts, read 55,470 times
Sorry to hear about your wine.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,715,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
took away my bottle at the security counter at Alaska Airlines and I am quite sure that as I am typing this, that particular employee is enjoying my $50 bottle of Oregon Pinot. Those people truly have no soul. I only hope that they aren't chomping on red meat or some such inappropriate pairing while swilling down my wine.

No, I don't read the list of what you can or can't take in your carry on; it changes every time I fly.
1. sometimes anger is the appropriate response
2. never expect the rules to be fair
3. never expect those making the rules to have good sense
4. If by chance they do have good sense, they don't always use it
5. If they do get it right, it is a 50/50 chance it was by accident
Last and most important
5. Illigitimi non carborundum
(DON'T LET THE BAST-RDS GET YOU DOWN)
it's actually don't let em grind you down, a little leeway in latin translation

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 01-01-2008 at 11:04 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 10:46 PM

There really are some terrible people employed by the airlines these days. I could have used that wine on the flight, too, as the only wine I could get was the most dreadful swill in those little bottles...of course they lost my luggage too, and when they found it upstairs somewhere---probably rifling through it looking for terrorist paraphernalia...they asked if I wanted them to bring it down to the baggage claim area...which of course I did, because that is where it was supposed to be in the first place. The person who brought it down just grunted at me--lovely end to a typical Alaska Airlines fiasco.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:21 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,590,293 times
I flew AK Air to Chicago. Other than the 2 screaming kids seated across from me it went ok. I do believe they need to change those seat bottoms tho. Was like sitting on bricks the entire trip. Flying to Stockholm for 9 hours and had 2 more babies 2 rows up. Not a peep out of either the whole time. Either they were feeding them whiskey in their bottles or Swedish babies are just much more quiet.
You have to remember the 3-1-1 rule Met. 3 ounce containers in 1 one quart baggie. They damn near stripped searched me for having a bottle of cologne in my shaving kit. Rat bas...tards!

Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 AM

Rance, I was thinking that for most of the winter anyway I'd spend my down time in the lower 48 but...making that flight every two weeks isn't something I can get terribly excited about, but then, neither is winter on POW. I think I'm gonna shoot for every other rotation.

There were some cryin' kids on the flight today but at least they were a distraction from the bumps

Old 01-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Wind advisories tomorrow so with any luck my vacation will be extended till whenver the float planes can fly...be great if it were a couple of days...

Old 01-02-2008, 03:57 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,594,649 times
Met

You're right. Those rules change so much I can't keep them straight and the worst thing is that TSA is NOT uniform in enforcing the rules from airport to airport. When I traveled to Dallas last spring, I used some of those small, 3 ounce, plastic bottles---you know the ones they sell in the drug store that are "travel" bottles? I put shampoo and conditioner in them because I thought it was more econimical to buy three empty bottles for 2 dollars than to pay 2 dollars each for a small bottle of shampoo and conditioner. I mean, that IS what they are for. They are travel bottles already!!! I got through the SEA airport TSA no problem, but in Dallas, they had a cow---and this obnoxious TSA woman was all about being vocal, embarassing, and generally condescending in her attitude. I was like "Yea you made your point. Take my stuff already." I guess if they have a headfull of peanuts, well, they get paid peanuts. Whenever I fly to Juneau, I get the full on scan, pat down, riffle through my bags, stand to the side of the line degree by SEA TSA when I show them my ID (military). When I do the same thing at Juneau airport, the TSA agent always says "Thank you for your service to our country" and lets me go. It's just so unpredictable anymore.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Why are they treating someone in the military that way...I'm convinced that a lot of these security types let the only vestige of "power" they've ever had in their lives go to the peanuts in their brains. I've noticed similarities on the Alaska Marine Highway.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:12 PM

5,321 posts, read 10,594,649 times
I dont know. They only make like 24k a year so maybe they're frustrated but that shouldn't be the reason. I do think it is a vestige of power type trip they are on. The thing is, you gotta do things their way because they can get their panties in a wad and make things very uncomfortable for you....of course they know this. I look at their wanna be uniforms and think "Right. I can shoot an M16, A4, and my uniform looks cooler." I just THINK it though, and smile at the pea brains, and do what they tell me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska