Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:24 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
My Brain.

I live around 20 miles outside of Manley, rule of thumb is if it's -30F or lower unless it's an emergency don't go, -20F and above it's business as usual, -20 to -30 use your discretion. Problem is that at those temperatures there's no guarantee that anyone outside of Fairbanks will be moving on the road either, DoT doesn't go out at below -20F here or Minto they may run the Elliot/Dalton section by Livengood, and some roads south of Fairbanks, in town will probably be running mostly normally, but off truck routes, complete chance.

What it gets really cold (-50F and lower) then you can't guarantee that your vehicle will remain running, even if it does it can be stuttering and ragged. While where you start might be -40F if you drop into a hollow or valley it can fall to -50F or lower. If your vehicle does stop, then there's little guarantee you can get it running again, the engine will lose heat very quickly, oil thickens, batteries can't crank as hard against more resistance, and stalling out from cold leaves you in that cold spot, your heating package is just additional weight, and good luck getting a portable generator to run.

Also consider that someone coming to save your a$$ (if you have cell coverage) at those temps is also taking a risk getting there to save you, and hauling you back. If you have a well maintained vehicle, and you got stranded, then what makes you think that someone else in a well maintained vehicle can get to you safely?
Thanks, once we get to town we don't plan on driving on the really cold days as we set our own work schedule. But on the way up is there anyway to avoid driving in colder than -20, -30 if it gets colder than that for long period time? I have heard stories of people driving through -40 temps on the way up, is this not safe should I stop at a hotel if it gets below -20ish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 10:41 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Don't drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night, lots of twisty turns and a lot of game on the road. No matter what time you get to Fort Nelson, plan on staying the night and get up nice and early the next morning. The hotels there have plug ins for your vehicle. If it gets too cold, keep your vehicle running all night.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:46 PM

Open year round lodges on the Alcan:

Jake's Corner, also open year round.
Continental Divide Lodge.
Teslin, Yukon.
Twenty miles south of Watson Lake is a place called Contact Creek, it claims to have fuel cheaper than Watson.
Toad River
Liard River Hot Springs,
Buckinghorse Lodge, BC.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:47 PM

863 posts, read 2,076,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have heard stories of people driving through -40 temps on the way up, is this not safe should I stop at a hotel if it gets below -20ish?
I think that really depends on where you are. The Alcan has sparse but regular traffic in winter, so I'd say the safe temperature margin is a bit lower. Personally, I'd say drive strictly daylight hours only if it's below -20, start looking for a hotel at -30, and don't drive below -40. When it comes down to it though, it's a personal risk threshold thing.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:07 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
It's also good to be mindful that steel, hydraulics,... anything mechanical does not like extreme cold. Steel gets brittle and is more likely to fail (think of your front end and a sudden sharp turn, for example). Hydraulics just plain old hate the cold and will fail whenever they have a mind to. I am no electrician, but electrical is pretty sketchy in low temps too. When it's really cold the stereo, dome light, etc. in my Tacoma go haywire.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:32 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
I think that you will know along the drive at what temp your car starts acting funky and go from there as well. What riceme has said is very, very true. Steel can actually shatter at temps below -40.... Anyways, I tend to play it by ear and make adjustments as I go.

Warptman - Isn't the Northern Rockies Lodge also open all year 'round too?

I do agree that stopping in the evening is wise - What I have noticed is that places close earlier in the winter than in the summer so you may find a Hotel with vacancies, just no one around to check you in. So plan on waking up early and then early evening plan where you are going to stop.

I don't remember whether it is in this thread or not but I posted pics of the wildlife between Nelson and Watson on the road. EVERYTIME I have driven that route, there has been large animals on the road or at least very close to the side of the road.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:43 AM

Oh, the thread with the wildlife pictures is the one where we were trying to talk that noodlehead out of coming up here and freezing to death. Those are some good pictures. I'm pretty sure this guy saw them because I recall him posting about all the gear he was hauling up with him.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:14 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Ahh.. That's right... Still wondering if he is on his way or not. It might just be another one of those that we never find out about.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:25 AM

Northern Rockies Lodge at Muncho Lake is open, left that out.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 AM

I don't know, Dak. It doesn't take that long to get up here. He was not prepared at all and honestly I'm a little worried that something happened to him. He posts from his phone and he has an AT&T phone, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska