Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times

Advertisements

[quote=Xa'at;2415695]Oh man, this is a great thread!
Nothing grinds the ole' gears more than missionaries, arriving in villages with this messed up pretense that they're here to help the poor pagan natives... ]

Well, I suppose that is why, in so many W. African villiages, there is this large stew pot sitting in the middle of the village. Those missionaries aren't worth much, but...those innovative natives can always figure out at least one use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I hear they're passably edible if you add enough garlic and basil to the stew pot.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:20 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
arindoll---I'm not EVEN going to get into the scads of errors and fallacies on which you are basing your "truth."

Danny L---you're right on. The problem is created with the intention of "progress" and then the instigators walk away or someone else waltzes in and tries to "fix" what someone else's "progress" screwed up in the first place. Where IS that beer?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Arinhill said that he/she wasn't trying to shove its religion down anyone's throat.

Just what orifice are you trying to shove it down, then?

If this isn't trying to shove religion somewhere, then I don't know what is:

Quote:
"Jesus Christ is the Truth, the Way, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6 Buddhists, Hindus, and Muslims don't believe in Jesus Christ as Lord. The Bible says unbelievers will go the hell, where there's weeping and gnashing of the teeth.
They found the Dead Sea Scrolls in a cave in Israel in the 1940's. Turns out they're an exact replica of the Jewish Tanakh...the Old Testament of the Protestant Bible. Archaelogy states that they were written about 800 years before Jesus was born. There are over 300 prophecies (predictions of the future) in these scrolls about Jesus: his birth, his life, the miracles he performed, and his death. Non-Christian history proves that they all came true with 100% accuracy....what are the odds of that happening if he's not God. There are other prophecies, not just about Jesus, hundreds of them...about battles and wars that have also been proven to have all come true with great accuracy, even to name certain rulers 100 years before they were born (Cyrus),...again all proven by non-Christian history.
Christians don't love others to get to Heaven or for any other personal gain, we love because Christ commanded us to in the 2nd commandment: Love everyone as you love yourself. You cannot get to Heaven by loving someone or by works at all...only through Christ, by believing in Him, repenting of your sins, and asking him to come into your heart and making him your Lord and Savior.
Again, in case you didn't understand me the first time, kindly shut your bible thumping mouth.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:30 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times
Who is to say that the bible, with all of it's versions, isn't just another old book.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
The BIble is a collection of writings over generations which follows the history of a people. Plain and simple. The Jewish Tankah is NOT the "Old Testament" the so-called predicessor of the "Bible" as AH so erroneously asserts. In fact, what thumpers know as the Old Testament was very much changed around from the Tankah in order to propagate the Christain viewpoint. I'm not going to get into the semantics of this because in all actuality, it's highly irrelevant, and thumpers don't utilize logic, nor are they interested in facts.

I say just live and let live and keep your (thumpers) superior ways, methods, ideas, ideology, practices, progress to yourself. We're all doing quite nicely without them, you see, and if you were happy and comfortable in your own religion, spirituality, call it what you will, then you would spend more effort LIVING it and less effort trying to find those you feel superior to in order to sway them to your way, therefore making yourself feel better with your cotton candy theology.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
The BIble is a collection of writings over generations which follows the history of a people. Plain and simple. The Jewish Tankah is NOT the "Old Testament" the so-called predicessor of the "Bible" as AH so erroneously asserts. In fact, what thumpers know as the Old Testament was very much changed around from the Tankah in order to propagate the Christain viewpoint. I'm not going to get into the semantics of this because in all actuality, it's highly irrelevant, and thumpers don't utilize logic, nor are they interested in facts.

I say just live and let live and keep your (thumpers) superior ways, methods, ideas, ideology, practices, progress to yourself. We're all doing quite nicely without them, you see, and if you were happy and comfortable in your own religion, spirituality, call it what you will, then you would spend more effort LIVING it and less effort trying to find those you feel superior to in order to sway them to your way, therefore making yourself feel better with your cotton candy theology.
Well Said - D

Old 01-04-2008, 04:21 PM

[quote=arindoll;2414587]...he proves evolution to be scientifically impossible.

a distinctly absurdist point of view, I don't suppose Stephen J. Gould was any part of this kangaroo commission?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:15 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindoll View Post
You cannot get to Heaven by loving someone or by works at all...only through Christ, by believing in Him, repenting of your sins, and asking him to come into your heart and making him your Lord and Savior.
Damn, I'm screwed. Oh well, if I'm going to hell I might as well enjoy myself.
Besides, "weeping and gnashing of teeth"? That doesn't sound so bad.
Now, the Pastafarians have got it right- heaven is a beer volcano and stripper factory!!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
I love independent thinkers, which come to think of it is why I'm here. As a former vet, I am committed to the right of free speech. I may disagree with what you say, but by God, I'll defend your right to say it, and worship as you darn well please into the bargain. But the right to freedom of religion should free me from the Christian right who insist as a Catholic that I don't know God. That is TRUE. I don't think anybody can claim to know God, as the God I was brought up to worship is omnipotent, omniscient and the supposed origin of life as we know it. If I knew the mind of God, wouldn't I be able to create a world from the firmanent? I mean if I knew Him and His mind, wouldn't I know what he knew. If I did, I could manipulate the stock market to my benefit, right?

Just an opinion of mine, by the way. And for youy Wiccans out there, substitute Her for any usage of Him. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska