U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 5,102 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am a qualified gamekeeper in the UK and love hunting, breeding pheasants and self sustainability. Hopefully this should allay any fears about a Brit with non gun issues moving to Alaska. I really want to know what opportunities there might be for myself and my family to move to Alaska. Given half a chance i would like to be out the way, live in the woods, grow a beard and be self sustained. Sadly in Britain there doesn't seem to be much in the way of being able to do this as everywhere is owned by someone..possibly Tescos. I am open to any suggestions of how to move to Alaska, chances of a job, offers of any work, i am well qualified in a number of areas but my love is for the outdoors, shooting sports and living cheaply by my own efforts including aquaponics etc. Here is my google page if you want to get an idea of me . Thanks for reading.

Last edited by gamekeeper1; 12-16-2014 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: add picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 08:29 AM

8,818 posts, read 13,903,221 times
The big question is, "are you eligible to immigtate to the United States?" You cannot be offered a job unless the potential employer can demonstrate that he cannot find a qualified US citizen to fill the slot. I am guessing that you do not have the required money to immigrate as a business man in order to start your own business.

Have you done much research on this. You are asking for a pretty brutal and spartan life if you want to live out in the woods by yourself. Have you ever been to Alaska?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Hi thanks for your response, I am just dipping my toes in the water to gauge what kind of response i will get and to see whether pursuing this avenue has any potential. I am looking at other countries to see whether they are looking for gamekeepers as there are some which specifically run businesses where they want a quintessential English run driven game shoot, with the tweed, double barrel shotguns, elevenses and so on. Some countries do such as New Zealand, Russia, Italy to name a few. Failing that i am interested if there are any jobs that someone with my skill set would be suitable. Its always better to ask people who live in a country about what is available first before coming up with romantic notions about what would be possible. If there are any positives come from this thread or opportunities then i will take a more serious approach about doing something about it. There is a lot of information about visas etc out there which i will look at depending on how serious getting work out there is.

Its a fair point to ask me if i understand how brutal the life can be out there..of course i dont have the experience, or all the knowledge needed to live out there on my own...chances are i would die within a month! LOL. How could i possibly hope to know and understand what Alaskans have taken generations to learn on survival, your ecology and species are so different from England. However dont hang me yet as a pointless dreamer, in England we cant live in the woods (we cut down 90% for agriculture), there is little or no hope of roaming rights, everywhere you look there is a damn house or shop planted so there is no chance of any form of isolation or freedom. Our gun laws are so uptight along with the hunting which i have to get permission from land owners to use their land or i am trespassing with a firearm which is a big no no. Am i a little envious of all the nature on your doorstep, definitely. Would i like to live amongst it as much as reasonably possible..of course. I simply have a love for nature and hunting and want to live in it, i want to live as much as possible growing and hunting my own food as much as i can whilst looking at self sustainability to cut costs. (isolated to me is living about a mile away from another house) I value the wilderness and i cant get access to it like yourself. I dont mind admitting i dont really fit in to English society so somehow i have to find a place that i will fit into. I appreciate your questions and hope that this gives you a better idea of what and why i am looking at different places to move to. I live in hope. Take care Joe and thanks for the response.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:18 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
Generally, the further out you go, the fewer the jobs are. The more expensive it is to live. Water needs to be trucked in, no cell towers exist, no power either. You ability to immigrate here is a something you need to research.

We moved from the lower 48 to Alaska and ended up in the largest city (Anchorage) because of jobs. A lot of the people I run into and have made friends with that also live here, have remote cabins somewhere to get away from the city. Some would love to just live there, but they cannot afford to without working. It's plan of ours as well, but not one I will be able to afford for awhile.

There was a recent article in the paper about a "local" pig farmer that supplies a local restaurant. Both the farmer and the restaurant are new to the area. So, what I am getting at, is that entrepreneurship opportunities are alive and well here. There is a lot of pride here for Alaska Grown or Raised. And I admit that it didn't take us long to belong to that spirit as well. I would rather buy something made, grown, or raised here than flown, barged, or trucked in. Just saying this, since you have game raising skills.

Photos: Family pig farm in Copper Center putting pork on an Anchorage bistro's menu | Alaska Dispatch

Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 AM

8,818 posts, read 13,903,221 times
Full disclosure: I don't live in AK; I did do research on the topic when I was looking at some remote job opportunities.

Wildlife management in the US is typically done at the state and national level, and a bachelor's degree in an appropriate field (biology, natural resources management, etc.) is typically the minimum education required for an entry level position.

There are businesses in the US that have guided hunts and field camps. I don't know enough about this business to comment further; I imagine a google search will yield a lot of results.

If you aren't stuck on Alaska, I think there are plenty of places in the lower 48 (Vermont, Maine, Michigan's UP, Wisconsin, etc.) that will give you what you are looking for.

Can a UK resident immigrant to Canada easily? They've got plenty of empty space up there.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks Joe and dakster for your comments, its good to know i am not the only one to wish for the lifestyle. I will have a look around for more information on those states and i think my wife has relatives in Canada which is worth a shot as well. I will also do a bit of research on the Alaska Dispatch photos you have linked to. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:06 PM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
The problem anywhere remote is the job part. Not that there are not jobs there, just that there are not a lot of them. Although if you have certain skills it may not be that hard. In no particular order the fields of Teaching, Medicine, Oil and Gas (although maybe not as much now) are usually the jobs I see the most of. Followed by, Law Enforcement. The Law Enforcement jobs will not be open to a recent immigrant. You have to be a full fledged citizen for 99% of them. Although some support positions a resident with the ability to work are OK.

Not trying to discourage the OP. I would try to find the job before I found the remote place to live. WHEREVER that may be.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM

19,000 posts, read 24,521,189 times
I don't think that what you want is possible in Alaska. It's not all country estates with "gamekeepers," particularly not the tweedy kind. And, as has been mentioned before, Alaska is part of the United States. Sorry to sound rude, but...

Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM

6,285 posts, read 10,887,730 times
I'll second the idea that you should check into Canada. Probably look into western British Columbia.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone, there has been good advice here and i will follow up on your suggestions. As with all things it is worth asking people who have a good idea of what to expect or not as the case may be. So thanks for your input and i will wish you all the very best for Christmas. And i will continue my search in other areas to see what is about. Sean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: