Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:41 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,463,373 times

Advertisements

Met - Where do you get that I tie dogs up outside? I said I DON'T do that.

If something is coming in the door though - having a protective dog would be good thing. And yep, I would go get my gun to protect myself, my family, and that includes animals.

My Sheperd saved us from being burglarized while we were home (maybe even robbed) and a husky we had was in the car when my step-father was smash and grabbe and bit the persons hand almost clean off... About the only way to ensure a low recidivism rate. And FWIW, since I have been in Alaska for the past several months, my neighbor was home invaded and shot in the leg - and I had someone force their way into my house when I was home. I had to hold them down until APD got here. Really, I tend to worry about the 2 legged animals more than the 4 legged ones. And to think I supposedly live in the "good" area of town.

Granted so far my experiences are with dogs in an urban environment.

If I am hiking I would like to know if I am getting stalked by animals as well. Dogs are much more aware of their surroundings than we are because there senses are better than ours. (At least the breeds I have owned and I am looking at) KBDs by the way, attack bears and moose or at least drive them away.

I've seen plenty of animals here, moose, bear, linx. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. I hope to never surprise one though. I would never be like that reporter that always harped on people that had to shoot one in DLP and then had to do the same thing himself. So it isn't like being here you won't find yourself in position where doing that is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:47 AM

765 posts, read 1,923,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, they wouldn't. All they'd have to do is go into your back yard. Your neighbors' dogs aren't any protection against wildlife in Alaska. The mama moose and her two cubs skulking near your back yard is proof enough of that.

I don't think people get it. Moose in particular aren't frightened away by domestic dogs. Wolves and coyotes may be attracted by them. But whatever. Do what you can to keep her warm while she's tied outside, and continue to tell yourself that neighborhood dogs will provide adequate protection against Alaskan wildlife.

Love how the lower 48ers always know better than anyone else. Too bad they ruined the state years ago. Reading this forum usually makes me glad I fled, and this thread is no exception. Sorry, but it gets really annoying when we try to tell people something about Alaska and they basically don't believe it. Probably shouldn't bother trying anymore.
You miss understood me, I didn't say the other dogs would be any protection, just to find my one dog among the hundreds around here would be like finding a needle in a hay stack, and I know my dog is a pet/animal, not a little kid who needs to be constantly protected.......kind of off point here...... none of this has anything to do with making sure my dog will be ok in the cold.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:51 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,062,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
There's only one place my dog is really ever found- on my bed (her choice, not mine). Never understood the whole "outside dog" thing, but that's just me.
Me, neither.
Seems mean to toss a pack animal outside to be by itself.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:01 AM

605 posts, read 663,696 times
Leaving a dog tied outside in Alaska is pretty much akin to animal cruelty. Your dog will not even stand a remote chance of protecting and defending itself if he/she is attacked from a bear, wolf, or a moose (yes they have been known to attack pets and people before). Do yourself and your dog a favor and keep your dog inside.

Honestly if I lived in Alaska and saw someone who left their dog outside in Alaska I would be on the phone with the Humane Society in an instant.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:03 AM

26,486 posts, read 36,326,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Met - Where do you get that I tie dogs up outside? I said I DON'T do that.

If something is coming in the door though - having a protective dog would be good thing. And yep, I would go get my gun to protect myself, my family, and that includes animals.

My Sheperd saved us from being burglarized while we were home (maybe even robbed) and a husky we had was in the car when my step-father was smash and grabbe and bit the persons hand almost clean off... About the only way to ensure a low recidivism rate. And FWIW, since I have been in Alaska for the past several months, my neighbor was home invaded and shot in the leg - and I had someone force their way into my house when I was home. I had to hold them down until APD got here. Really, I tend to worry about the 2 legged animals more than the 4 legged ones. And to think I supposedly live in the "good" area of town.

Granted so far my experiences are with dogs in an urban environment.

If I am hiking I would like to know if I am getting stalked by animals as well. Dogs are much more aware of their surroundings than we are because there senses are better than ours. (At least the breeds I have owned and I am looking at) KBDs by the way, attack bears and moose or at least drive them away.

I've seen plenty of animals here, moose, bear, linx. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. I hope to never surprise one though. I would never be like that reporter that always harped on people that had to shoot one in DLP and then had to do the same thing himself. So it isn't like being here you won't find yourself in position where doing that is necessary.
Read my last post. As I stated, KBDs are basically hunting dogs. They may provide some protection for you from bears if you're out in the bush or wherever, but I'd be pretty damn surprised if they could "drive away" an Alaska brownie. Again, the Eurasian moose that breed was bred to hunt is substantially smaller than the particular species of moose that lives in Alaska's boreal forests.

As far as the human predators breaking in and whatever, that only illustrates my point that the place is going to hell.

And never once did I state that having a dog for protection was a poor idea, just that there are better ways than having one tied in the yard. I know I've kept my crew in more than a time or two after dark because the way my dog was bristling told me that there was a bear close by.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,263,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Leaving a dog tied outside in Alaska is pretty much akin to animal cruelty. Your dog will not even stand a remote chance of protecting and defending itself if he/she is attacked from a bear, wolf, or a moose (yes they have been known to attack pets and people before). Do yourself and your dog a favor and keep your dog inside.

Honestly if I lived in Alaska and saw someone who left their dog outside in Alaska I would be on the phone with the Humane Society in an instant.
Good thing you don't live in Alaska. You would be on the phone a lot, there are a lot of mushers and full time outdoor dogs in the interior where I am at. The humane society would likely get a good chuckle though after they got used to your excessive calls.

Geez Dakster, is all of this happening in Eagle River? No need to hold the perp down next time, that's a clean shoot . I don't like to touch people and I have kids so that scenario may have played out differently for me. Glad you held him down though. Hopefully you got a few licks in, I hate thieves .

FWIW, I have heard from someone that KBDs are a lot of work and tough to handle. They like to work and don't like being left alone. I am sure you know this, but for others... I have been hesitant on a getting a Malamute for similar reasons, but may someday pull the trigger and get one.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
You miss understood me, I didn't say the other dogs would be any protection, just to find my one dog among the hundreds around here would be like finding a needle in a hay stack, and I know my dog is a pet/animal, not a little kid who needs to be constantly protected.......kind of off point here...... none of this has anything to do with making sure my dog will be ok in the cold.
Why don't you simply ask your neighbors what works for them, then? I'm sure they're all absolute fonts of wisdom on proper animal care procedures since there are hundreds of them keeping their dogs outdoors during the winter.

That area's pretty well-known for grow operations and meth labs, which probably accounts for so many dogs being left outside. Something tells me that these people don't care much about the comfort levels or safety of their dogs.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:35 AM

Yeah, there are a lot of mushers, and every year, at least two make the headlines because of horrific conditions in their kennels. Every spring, the shelter in FBs fills up with unwanted sled dogs. Even so, a dog in a dog yard is safer than an individual dog tied out back of someone's home. I really don't get why anyone would tie a dog out in an unfenced yard in Alaska, and yeah, I do think that under certain circumstances, it would warrant the attention of the authorities.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:59 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,263,809 times
Under certain circumstances I agree. And there are definitely mushers that shouldn't be allowed to own dogs and should face criminal charges if they do abuse dogs. BUT, to call authorities EVERYTIME you saw a dog outside would be excessive, not to mention pretty nosy. You can love your dogs, spend lots of time with them, take good really care of them, feed and water them, clean up after them, have insulated dog houses for them and have them still be outside without it being animal cruelty. Is it right or wrong - debatable. Is it criminal animal cruelty - Definitely not if the above conditions are met.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,463,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Good thing you don't live in Alaska. You would be on the phone a lot, there are a lot of mushers and full time outdoor dogs in the interior where I am at. The humane society would likely get a good chuckle though after they got used to your excessive calls.

Geez Dakster, is all of this happening in Eagle River? No need to hold the perp down next time, that's a clean shoot . I don't like to touch people and I have kids so that scenario may have played out differently for me. Glad you held him down though. Hopefully you got a few licks in, I hate thieves .

FWIW, I have heard from someone that KBDs are a lot of work and tough to handle. They like to work and don't like being left alone. I am sure you know this, but for others... I have been hesitant on a getting a Malamute for similar reasons, but may someday pull the trigger and get one.
Yeah this is in Eagle River. And it actually it was a drunk female and holding her down was the right thing to do. She was 90 pounds soaking wet and drunk. Being 250 and trained it wasn't all that difficult to subdue her. EVen with my bad back and other issues. Pressure points and leverage get the job done. Made a judgment call and it worked out. If it was a bigger person other methods would have been used. If I thought she was really coming in to rob or steal it would have been different too...

Met is right about the other areas rep. too.

Hey Met - Good thing I am using this area as a way to get to a more out and about area. My "home town" wasn't a picture perfect area either. I did think this was going to be a bit lower key though.

I haven't totally decided on a dog breed yet either. This is the longest I have gone without a K9 at home too. Really I just want the companionship of one.

THe KBDs I was looking at are bred in Alaska and they have chased brownies and AK Moose away - that really isn't the point of me getting one though. And actually, I asked the breeder for one without as strong of a hunting instinct. Since I really don't plan on hunting bears or moose. I hope I am well enough to be able to sit in a boat and fish. Purposely looking for animals that can eat me, just isn't high on my bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska