Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:43 PM

773 posts, read 1,939,834 times

Advertisements

We are new to Alaska, living in the Houston/Big Lake area and I was wondering if there is a certain temperature you should bring your outside dog into the house? My dog is half lab and half Springer Spaniel and has lived outside just about all of her life, in Western Washington. I have noticed, since we arrived here in Oct, her fur has gotten thicker than I have ever seen it, which seems odd, but good for her. I build her a 4X4 dog house out of those small 4 inch landscaping logs, you get from home depot or Lowes. There is no bottom yet, but I put two pieces of old carpet from what was in the house on the bottom. I did put a real thick piece from the new high end carpet ontop of the old carpet, but she keeps pulling it out of her dog house, so after the 4th time, I put it ontop of her dog house and she seems to like it up there. We feed and water her twice a day, which seems to be more than enough for her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 08:58 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I have no idea on that temp. But as a suggestion or least something interesting to note, the house I am renting is dog friendly. They even have doggie door into the heated garage... Seemed pretty neat to have a spot for the dog to go to, in case the temps get really cold. It also sounds like your dog is adjusting on its own to the lower temps.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:47 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,826 times
You should put straw in her house.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:24 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Personally, I wouldn't do it. At. all.

https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/...et-safety.aspx

Bring your dog inside. What works in Western WA isn't going to work in Alaska. Her combination of breeds is pretty resistant to cold, at least, but her type of coat's mostly wired to repel water rather than insulate. Also, keep in mind that even if your dog seems fine with it, that's possibly because canines are hard-wired not to show weakness.

There are other reasons not to make a dog live outside where you're at. Please tell me she's not tied to her doghouse. The cold isn't the only danger that you have to worry about with domestic dogs during an Alaskan winter.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-04-2015 at 12:37 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 12:53 AM

879 posts, read 1,731,771 times
There's only one place my dog is really ever found- on my bed (her choice, not mine). Never understood the whole "outside dog" thing, but that's just me.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:00 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
I don't judge on whether dogs are outside or inside. Mine have always been inside too - and that includes a St. Bernard and Siberian Huskies. (as well as other breeds) It only concerns me when it is abuse and someone asking about taking care of a dog that is outside doesn't sound like abuse to me.

I actually wish the cat we adopted didn't want to go outside as much as she does, but since she was a fairbanks outdoor cat and is now 8 yrs old, I can't really change her now and I don't worry about the cold.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Thanks, I like the straw idea, I'll get some. We have been bringing her in when the temp gets down below 10 degs. I always check her fur in the morning and it feels warm, so I think she has been ok, plus when she really wants something she starts wining and that Springer Spaniel part of her really gets your attention.
We have her on a cable and pully system, we just moved into this home and there is no fenced area, so I'll have to wait till spring for that. She can move back and forth for about 50 ft and to the sides about 10 ft. So far the dogs that have stopped by have only been interested in sniffing. She was in heat for a while so we keept her in most of the time for that.

Last edited by msta999; 01-04-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Do any of the stores in Wasilla sell straw? I try'd googe it, but didn't come up with anything in this area.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
OK, well, I saw one of my dogs almost get stomped to death by a mother moose when he was outside (NOT tied) in the upper Su, but whatever.

You do realize, don't you, that even when she's inside while she's in heat, she might attract gentlemen callers other than neighborhood domestic dogs? It's likely she already has, and just as likely that you didn't see them.

Oh well. I need to stay out of this thread, because I strongly disagree with domestic dogs being tied outdoors in certain areas, particularly overnight. You may change your mind after seeing your furry friend stomped by a moose or taken down by a wolf pack.

Thanks to the many people who've left me rep in my comments in this thread.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-04-2015 at 12:01 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK, well, I saw one of my dogs almost get stomped to death by a mother moose when he was outside (NOT tied) in the upper Su, but whatever.

You do realize, don't you, that even when she's inside while she's in heat, she might attract gentlemen callers other than neighborhood domestic dogs? It's likely she already has, and just as likely that you didn't see them.

Oh well. I need to stay out of this thread, because I strongly disagree with domestic dogs being tied outdoors in certain areas, particularly overnight. You may change your mind after seeing your furry friend stomped by a moose or taken down by a wolf pack.

Thanks to the many people who've left me rep in my comments in this thread.
You have given sage advice! I read an article a couple of years ago about a woman who had just moved to Alaska to teach. She went for a jog on her first, and what turned out to be her last, night there. A pack of wolves got her. I can't imagine what they'd do to a helpless dog who couldn't run away.

OP, heed Metlakatla's advice! A dog house and some straw is no defense against bears or wolves, let alone below zero temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska