U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 AM

77 posts, read 65,736 times

Advertisements

Hello again all,

I was just doing some more thinking and research on my vacation and potential move to alaska.

Does anyone know what kind of cabins can be found around the anchorage /eagle river area for 1arpund 1200-1800 per month rental? It is hard to search those websites for certain things I'm looking for a lilt a wood burning stove.

So just any info on what a cabin around that area for that cost would be like. Television, internet, electricity, plumbing, and wood burning stove are only must haves. Anything else is a bonus.

Thanks and love to hear stories from others who have enjoyed their alaskan cabins and homes and if my wish list is a little too much for my price range. Although I would imagine 1800 would get me al the electrical plumbing and satellite and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,455,888 times
There are none. Cabins do not have
Quote:
Television, internet, electricity, plumbing,
Not in the true sense of the word, that aside, what you are asking for would be considered a "house" or similar in the municipality, there are no "cabins".

Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 AM

854 posts, read 1,495,230 times
People have different definitions of "cabins." In Fairbanks, what the OP is looking for would be called a "small house," but whatever... In southcentral, a lot of people refer to small, compact, open floor plan small houses, often with a loft, as "cabins."

But anyway, that will still be somewhat hard to find in Anchorage and Eagle River. There are a few up in Bear Valley and probably other out of the way places on the upper Hillside (you better have a 4wd), and some more along the back roads outside Eagle River (Hiland Road, Mile Hi, etc). I lived in a cabin (with running water ) out near the end of Knik River Road, but that's about an hour from the north side of Anchorage.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:32 PM

When I say cabin, my definition is just a home made out if logs. So essentially a lot cabin. I know they heb cabins that are not all dry cabins with electrical and plumbing. I have seem them. I just see either multi million dollar houses like that or ones with no wood stove. That's the issue for me.

A log cabin on the grid , with cable internet plumping and running water. I want a legit log cabin , but refuse to use an outhouse. Sorry , just some things big city guys have trouble thinking about.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 PM

When I say cabin , I mean just a little small place doesn't need much but a bathroom and way for television. I would accept the lowest of the low log cabin right outside anchorage or in eagle river areas just as long as they are not dry cabins.
Tbshs the one thing I refuse to budge on but I think for my budget and tbr fact that I will sign a hear lease if not longer should be not to difficult to find. I know it's tv, but I've seen plenty on those shows were the perfect log cabin is there and like I said , it can be a below average log cabin. Just plumbing television and running water. The wood stove, if I'm in a small enough cabin, I think I could put one in myself and sold that problem. I'm looking for skmetbing extremely basic but has the power plumbing and tv.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,857,047 times
Superb Log Home At The Lake

I found that in Palmer for $145 a night. Look under vacation rental section in craigslist. Or google Alaska vacation cabins or something like that. You should be able to find what you are looking for, just maybe not right in anchorage. Some areas of Eagle river, Wasilla/Palmer and Girdwood are probably what you are looking for. Anchorage is a big modern city and rents are expensive there. Especially for temporary furnished "cabin" rentals. Good luck.

Edit:
Never mind, I thought you were looking for a one month rental, but then your other post says a year lease? I am confused.... Not to be the grammar police, but a simple spell check may help us to understand you better.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 PM

6,283 posts, read 10,887,730 times
You can't rent a cabin and put in your own woodstove. No landlord is going to allow that.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:14 AM

4,718 posts, read 8,232,767 times
TV and Internet is expensive up here. I have them in a business name and it runs me $250 a month, for slow, but unlimited internet and the highest number of non-premium cable channels for 2 TVs.

Some of the areas in ER better check to see if you get cell phone service, if that is important to you too. (Same thing goes for South Anchorage). I don't know about Bear Valley and Upper Hillside though - as I never had to use my phone there. Also depends on what cell company you have.

We almost rented what you would call a cabin up Hiland Road in ER - it had a bizarre setup and was still out of your price range. Some of the houses/cabins on Hiland require a plow and 4WD/AWD to get to, others don't. My daughter went to a friends house up Hiland Road, their driveway was plowed after a recent snow fall, but was so steep it and had its own switchback. Anyways, I slid backwards trying to get up the driveway in my 4WD truck. Low-locking 4WD and locking the rear diff and hitting the driveway straight with momentum I was able to finally get up the driveway. Note: I have limited winter driving experience as this is my first winter here and the only place I have lived that has snow, but this was the only time 4WD-High failed me.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:50 AM

80 posts, read 82,632 times
I looked on our MLS, and there is nothing, which I suspected. Check Craigslist and type in "cabin".

1 Bedroom in Log-Cabin All Included
Downtown cabin close to the parkstrip

Old 01-13-2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
There are none. Cabins do not have Not in the true sense of the word, that aside, what you are asking for would be considered a "house" or similar in the municipality, there are no "cabins".
I would prefer to be outside the actual neighborhoods but definitely not trying to live in the bush. Just surrounded by trees and the natural beauty.

And since work isn't really going to be an issue the first year, I spoke with a real estate agent and he pinned me towards girdwood

What are people's opinion of living in girdwood assuming no commute to anchorage will be happening.

And info on girdwood would be appreciated. I honestly thought he whole town was just the resort. Shows I have a lot more research to do.

Which is why I'm taking a month long vacation to figure these things out and where to lay my roots if things go as planned and I can actually make the move. But without the commute to anchorage for work everyday. And the type of activities i want to get involved in, all seem to be there in the very very little research I have done one Girdwood.

Tbr main thing for me in trying to find the right smaller town that feels right, I refuse the consider the interior towns due to the extreme cold. I am a houston tx boy. 20 degrees is absolutely freezing here. But we also don't have the proper clothing either. Buy my point, I'm staying somewhere in south central around the kenai Pen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska