Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:27 AM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times

Advertisements

If your an old hippie or aspire to be one Girdwood is for you. Peace, Pot and Micro-Dots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 01:38 AM

77 posts, read 104,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
If your an old hippie or aspire to be one Girdwood is for you. Peace, Pot and Micro-Dots

Haha. Definitely not a hippie, but wouldn't say I'm "against" pot. Although I'm not a recreational user that smokes all the time I have the same opinions on weed as I do marijuana. Both are harmless in the right quantity and timing, and both are harmful in excess and when you need to be "level headed".

So pretty much what I'm getting at, is I wouldn't necessarily take part in the pot smoking hippies you speak of, but I would much rather go snowboarding with a pothead than talk business with an alcoholic. Although I do not smoke myself, nor would not consider myself anywhere close to a hippie, I would most certainly get along with those type of people more than the wild men you tend to find in the city, that we like to call "frat boys" whether they are in a fraternity or not. It's more descriptive than anything. They like to party, dub step music, alcohol, drugs that keep you up for hours, and have no respect for just about anything but themselves. I think you understand what I am talking about.

My point of all this, is if stoners is the people I would have to surround myself with everyday, I'm not saying it's a good thing, I would just prefer it over the people I have everyday interactions with. So if that's the worst girdwood has to offer, it might not be the best place in alaska for me, but it's definitely an upgrade from where I'm at and that's what I'm looking for. A change of pace. Different lifestyle. Different people. I haven't really ever spend any significant time outside houston. So I want to see what else is out there.

From the research I have done and the natural amenities I am looking for, alaska keeps popping up as the best choice. I have the general area down, (wasilla on down alaska hwy1 down the kenai to homer or Seward)I know it's a broad area and lots of towns in that range. That's exactly why I am taking an extended vacation to alaska to find the right town.

Girdwood seems like a nice choice. Lots of snow. Snowboard three quarters of the year if not more. Snow machine not too far. Hunting guides.

And lacks the things that I don't care to have. The only thing I have found it doesn't have that I wish it would, is a movie theater. I am not 100% sure there's not one, but I have not come across one in my research. I guess that's something I would be going to anchorage for on my once or twice a month trip.

But as long as I have cable/sattelite tv I should be ok in the movie department. Must note that I am willing to pay the extra fee for on demand if that's possible in the smaller towns. Which I would imagine is if it's on the grid. And there's all the movies I could ever want!!!

Long story short, pothead hippies are the least of my worries. So if that's the biggest issue; of course I will look for somewhere without those characters, but that's not a bad choice if I get everything else on my wish list. If I can sit through a two hour willie Nelson concert right in the middle of thousands of people, I think I can make it through having a lot of hippie neighbors. To me, they are just funny. As long as they somewhat have their act together. Some are so far gone it's not even worth the breath. But most are just funny goofy people who I enjoy being around. Most, if not all, of my friends would fall into the hippie pothead category. Stoners make me laugh, drunks make me think twice because you might try to fight me if I say something wrong.

So girdwoo seems nice!!! Lol

Old 01-23-2015, 01:39 AM

77 posts, read 104,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post

Also,

What are micro-dots?

I might be missing something here, but I've never heard that one before.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:38 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny-stix View Post
Also,

What are micro-dots?

I might be missing something here, but I've never heard that one before.
L.S.D., Lysergic acid diethylamide, abbreviated LSD or LSD-25, also known as lysergide and colloquially as acid, is a psychedelic drug of the ergoline family, well known for its psychological effects...

Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 AM

45 posts, read 107,151 times
Be prepared for an expensive cost of living: rent, gas, utilities, groceries and sticker shock if you plan to buy a place to live.
Lived there many eons ago and it was expensive then, say in comparison to Anchorage, so be sure you check out local prices. But you can't beat it if you want a ski area in your back yard. Get a slope job and then you only have to commute to/from Anchorage twice a month. We have friends there that do exactly that and they love Girdwood. Good luck and enjoy your time up here; no matter where you wind up I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:43 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
Well, you have rich people, dirtbags, and dog poo in equal proportions there. So if that sounds good, well, go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska