U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 07:13 PM

15,313 posts, read 24,082,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
No need for a helicopter........skis, skins, crampons work fine. People have/do ski Shishaldin, Pavlof, and others.
https://books.google.com/books?id=T4...ska%3F&f=false
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 PM

20 posts, read 13,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

Yup, read that a while back. Also have seen some other trip reports about Shishaldin and other peaks in the range.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yup, read that a while back. Also have seen some other trip reports about Shishaldin and other peaks in the range.
I have no idea how many miles you would have to hike before getting to those mountains. I read the article, but there is not much said about the exact hiking distances, nor the roughness of the terrain. I would think that going alone is asking for trouble.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I have no idea how many miles you would have to hike before getting to those mountains. I read the article, but there is not much said about the exact hiking distances, nor the roughness of the terrain. I would think that going alone is asking for trouble.
Who ever said anything about going alone?

Frosty Mountain near Cold Bay is about 10 miles, Isanotski near False Pass is about 10 miles, Shishaldin is about 25, others drop into the sea.......way out west of Adak.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Who ever said anything about going alone?

Frosty Mountain near Cold Bay is about 10 miles, Isanotski near False Pass is about 10 miles, Shishaldin is about 25, others drop into the sea.......way out west of Adak.
Would you have to hike 10 to 25 miles during the winter months? I read somewhere that during the summer it's not very difficult to hike up Shishaldin, but could not find anything about winter climbs.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Would you have to hike 10 to 25 miles during the winter months? I read somewhere that during the summer it's not very difficult to hike up Shishaldin, but could not find anything about winter climbs.
Ski in.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM

16 posts, read 8,793 times
Starfish.....hate to rain on your parade, but you seem to be one of a "type" that doesn't last long in Alaska, and which is pretty universally disliked. I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at this---as someone who moved up here from the Lower 48 years ago, who knew from day-one the value of being seen and not heard, and who has since lived/worked all over this amazing state including several of the places that you mention in your original query---SAVE YOURSELF a tremendous amount of time grief and money and look for another canvas to paint. Alaska (physical reality) and Alaskans will not be kind to you. Sorry.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 PM

847 posts, read 326,942 times
I saw this thread and thought "Hey!, I've been in Sand Point, maybe I can share a few point."
Now, I'm just curious if Starfish made it up here and how's it working out for her.

For others that may be looking here for input- First, "off the grid" isn't very far from any point in Alaska outside of Anchorage. No need to wander very far from Kenai, Soldotna, or Homer to lose yourself in Alaska.

I'm in the seafood industry, currently in Naknek, and spent time in Chignik Bay, Sand Point, Adak, and St. Paul. Also cities in SE and PWS but that's a different subject.

If someone did want to travel to an Alaska Peninsula/Aleutian Village I'd strongly suggest they go there in May, still time to see the change from Winter/Spring-Summer and it's gorgeous. It will also give a chance to get your bearings with costs, logistics, services, etc. Also, locals are a lot more sociable when it's not 10 degrees and wind blowing 60.

The locals can be amazing people, independent, rugged, jack of all trades, and happy to lend a hand. Others are simply freakin' bizarre. Honestly, the gene pool some are working from is more of a shallow puddle.

There is actually 3 Chignik villages, Bay, Lagoon, and Lake, the Bay had the Trident Seafoods plant that burned down in '08 but they still buy fish and operate a floating process ship in the summer so still a presence. They also own the only store in town that operates during the salmon season. I do recall one local sold some groceries out of his kitchen, not the best selection. The Lagoon and Lake have more of a year round populace but I didn't spend much time there. I believe all 3 have clinics staffed by a PA.

Sand Point is a bigger town, the AC store was pretty well stocked and my Amazon packages had not problem getting there. Trident also has a plant there that operates about 10-11months a year, the fishmeal plant can smell a bit but it doesn't carry far. A good mix of people there.

There are bears and wolves that can be a danger. A few years ago a young woman, I believe a teacher, was attacked and killed by wolves as she was jogging, Chignik Lake I believe. There was a recent article of an uncle arrested for molesting his 6 year old niece, unfortunately this type of thing is too common in remote villages. I also was talking with a air carrier freight guy today, last summer the postmaster in the Perryville village went on a booze bender and no one got mail for a couple of months.

The cold isn't that bad, it's the wind that's the killer, it can shut everything in and out when it's kicking. Also, the cost, even though I've been doing this for many years and understand why, I'm always shocked at the high prices.

I wouldn't recommend anyone do this solo, its tough country and if you don't have a strong support network it'd be easy to literally lose yourself.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 PM

6,381 posts, read 11,029,871 times
Sockeye66, very good advice!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:15 AM

108 posts, read 94,782 times
I thought of taking the Police Officer position on Sand Point (currently a police officer in a small town in lower 48), the only problem is there are no decent jobs for my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska