Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
My daughter just moved from Anchorage back to Oklahoma City. She shipped 2000 lbs. of freight on Lynden Transport and the cost was $2600 delivered to her doorstep. They did have to take it to the Lynden dock in Anchorage. It would be worth checking into for a south to north move such as the one you are describing. Lyden transports all across the US to & from Alaska.

Give them a call and don't rely on email for describing what you kind of service you are looking for.

Trucking to Alaska, Freight Service to Alaska | Lynden Transport
Does Lynden do packing also or is it strictly shipping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 10:04 AM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
Has anyone shipped items via Alaska airlines freight? Do they provide a container or do you have to box up your stuff?

I'm thinking I could put the firearms and ammunition in there, then drive the way up in our moving truck.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:22 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I have not.... But just wanted to add again how easy FFL to FFL is...
Do you have a good relationship with a local FFL in your area? If so, head down there, they box them up right there figure out the postage and all that good stuff and you just call an FFL up here and make sure they know what's coming. It's really easy and should be around $100 unless you have ALOT of guns . For some reason I didn't ship them to myself because I didn't think you were allowed but according to Gungir's post you are. It's really no biggie doing FFL to FFL if you decide to go that route. It would take about an hour of your time. However you choose to get your guns up here, Good luck and enjoy Alaska! Will this be your first time up?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:24 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Has anyone shipped items via Alaska airlines freight? Do they provide a container or do you have to box up your stuff?

I'm thinking I could put the firearms and ammunition in there, then drive the way up in our moving truck.
Other than Goldstreak (which is expensive) you have to be a "known shipper" to ship cargo.
How to Ship with Alaska Airlines Cargo - Alaska Air Cargo

Old 02-10-2015, 11:15 AM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have not.... But just wanted to add again how easy FFL to FFL is...
Do you have a good relationship with a local FFL in your area? If so, head down there, they box them up right there figure out the postage and all that good stuff and you just call an FFL up here and make sure they know what's coming. It's really easy and should be around $100 unless you have ALOT of guns . For some reason I didn't ship them to myself because I didn't think you were allowed but according to Gungir's post you are. It's really no biggie doing FFL to FFL if you decide to go that route. It would take about an hour of your time. However you choose to get your guns up here, Good luck and enjoy Alaska! Will this be your first time up?
I've been up there a few years ago. Helped a friend move to Fairbanks. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend a lot of time.

The best option may be for me to drive to WA with the moving truck, wife, and cats. Ship the handguns and rifles, put the wife on a plane with the cats, then drive the rest of the way up myself. Looks like a 1 way from SEA to ANC is fairly cheap.

I was under the assumption that since the firearms were being transferred to a dealer in another state, the receiver (myself) would have to be a resident, pay a transfer fee, and complete another 4473. I'll have to reread the other post again.

At this point, I'm thinking that UPS/Fedex (shipping them as "machine parts") overnight might be the easiest and cheapest method, especially since I have around a dozen handguns.

I've got several thousand rounds of reloaded ammo in cans. What's the limit going through Canada?

Old 02-10-2015, 11:31 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I've been up there a few years ago. Helped a friend move to Fairbanks. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend a lot of time.

The best option may be for me to drive to WA with the moving truck, wife, and cats. Ship the handguns and rifles, put the wife on a plane with the cats, then drive the rest of the way up myself. Looks like a 1 way from SEA to ANC is fairly cheap.

I was under the assumption that since the firearms were being transferred to a dealer in another state, the receiver (myself) would have to be a resident, pay a transfer fee, and complete another 4473. I'll have to reread the other post again.

At this point, I'm thinking that UPS/Fedex (shipping them as "machine parts") overnight might be the easiest and cheapest method, especially since I have around a dozen handguns.

I've got several thousand rounds of reloaded ammo in cans. What's the limit going through Canada?
I think you do have to have an Alaska drivers license to pick up the handguns, but not the long guns? I guess I could be wrong on that. I got my drivers license the first week I was here so I guess I am not really sure. I do know that if you have an Alaskan ID that there's no problems. Hopefully I didn't give wrong info in my earlier post.

Either way you'll want your Alaskan ID right away to start establishing residency for your hunting and fishing tags the following year.

Ammunition is 5000 round limit, no handgun ammo.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 02-10-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 05:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Shipping firearms as airfreight on Alaska Airlines. Link below.

https://alaskacargo.custhelp.com/app...Wm0yakJIZW0%3D

Old 02-10-2015, 05:41 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
But if you fly up, you can ring your guns and your Ammo. For me with all the guns I have that was the easiest way to do it. And I was planning a trip back to where I came from anyways - the savings about paid for the round trip. No FFL, no forms, no Alaska ID required... You can ship via freight, but I needed to go back anyways and I like not having my guns sit anywhere waiting for me.

I had lockable, crush proof containers already. If you run into the 50 lb weight limit, it's $25 for each additional bag (at least on American airlines and Alaska Airlines). Ammo has to be in a container like the one it came in. Something that holds each round in place, no "bag o' Ammo" allowed.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Does Lynden do packing also or is it strictly shipping?

No, they are a shipper only. You have to pack and label your own stuff.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Other than Goldstreak (which is expensive) you have to be a "known shipper" to ship cargo.
How to Ship with Alaska Airlines Cargo - Alaska Air Cargo
I goldstreak freight up every day. Unless you are independently wealthy, I will reemphasize that Stafford has said here and add that it would be a cost prohibitive way to move household goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska