U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 11:38 AM

10 posts, read 7,163 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the internet availability is like on prince of wales island? Is there one area that is better than the rest? I need internet for work and we are looking at relocating to SE AK and I was wondering about internet availability on POW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 06:21 PM

196 posts, read 201,788 times
Unknown to me about POW--times I've been there, not even the cell phone goes with me. Can't stand carrying that thing around. Sitka has GCI and works fine.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:36 PM

18,999 posts, read 24,517,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isAKright4me View Post
Can anyone tell me what the internet availability is like on prince of wales island? Is there one area that is better than the rest? I need internet for work and we are looking at relocating to SE AK and I was wondering about internet availability on POW.
It will hopefully get better in time, but Internet service is spotty and unreliable. Thorne Bay residents have been having a terrible time the last few years because the equipment is old and falling apart; it's a little better in other communities and pretty nonexistent outside of satellite systems on the unpopulated parts of the island.

I really don't have much liking for Alaska Communications Systems (ACS).

Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM

936 posts, read 724,286 times
There are many places on POW where you don't even get cell signal.

I feel when people express concerns about cell and Internet coverage that rural Alaska is not for them.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
There are many places on POW where you don't even get cell signal.

I feel when people express concerns about cell and Internet coverage that rural Alaska is not for them.
There are many -- many -- places on POW where people don't even live, but cell signals are pretty good in the populated areas.
I don't know what's with some of you clowns. Mizzile, have you ever lived on POW?

Didn't think so.

Plenty of businesses operate on POW and use Internet and cell services.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-28-2015 at 10:03 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 10:06 PM

936 posts, read 724,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There are many -- many -- places on POW where people don't even live, but cell signals are pretty good in the populated areas.
I don't know what's with some of you clowns. Mizzile, have you ever lived on POW?

Didn't think so.

Plenty of businesses operate on POW and use Internet and cell services.
No experience other than yours has any validity, I get it, I get it.

When I was there I had to drive a ways into town to get cell service and sit by the side of the road making my calls before driving back home where I had no service. That was just three years ago. Thanks for playing!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
No experience other than yours has any validity, I get it, I get it.

When I was there I had to drive a ways into town to get cell service and sit by the side of the road making my calls before driving back home where I had no service. That was just three years ago. Thanks for playing!
Not sure where you were at on POW; I'm guessing North Island, but that's not really reflective of the more populated areas where the OP might potentially move. Hate to have to break it to you, but plenty of people who run businesses are able to access the Internet and phones on POW without driving up the road and parking.

The OP and her husband could probably make POW work if they wanted to, but I doubt that it meets their other criteria.

Thanks for playing, Mizzile, but I actually have a long history with the place, so yeah, my experience has more validity than yours.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:18 PM

148 posts, read 460,735 times
Has anyone heard of HughesNet? Does it not work up in Alaska? HughesNet should give you the speeds that you need. It will run around $120 probably for like 20GB per month. That should be more than enough unless you download movies for a living.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiyoo View Post
Has anyone heard of HughesNet? Does it not work up in Alaska? HughesNet should give you the speeds that you need. It will run around $120 probably for like 20GB per month. That should be more than enough unless you download movies for a living.
It needs a pretty good southern exposure in order to work, and that's not always possible in parts of SE Alaska....which is where the OP was asking about.

I've had satellite Internet on the island and was less than thrilled. Way less.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 PM

148 posts, read 460,735 times
Hey, so I did a little research for you. It looks like you might have quite a few options believe it or not. Back in 2010 this dude wrote an article bitching about the speeds on the island. The Ultimate Challenge for Rural Broadband - Prince Wales Island, Alaska • Stop the Cap!

If you read that article you will see that ACS (Alaska Communications Systems) is one of the providers and back then they were only offering Fixed Wireless (which was slowwwww) but fast-forward 5 years and guess what: Home Internet

That's right, ACS offers some crazy fast speeds now. Pretty reasonably priced too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska