U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 PM

12 posts, read 31,193 times

Advertisements

I have been searching the web and was wondering if anyone has tried farming moose in Alaska. Just wondering if there are any restrictions about rounding up moose on horse back. I would like to try and rope a moose from a horse if it is not illegal to do so . Any one care to team rope with me and try for a moose? I'm just curious and hope I haven't offended anyone for asking the question. LOL. Is not Alaska for the adventuress seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 PM

16,101 posts, read 16,080,123 times
Please try to rope a moose from a horse, but call warptman first so he can video it.

Are you on the Morgans or something tonight, by the way?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:47 PM

21,039 posts, read 22,791,244 times
I'm There!!!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 AM

21,039 posts, read 22,791,244 times
Make sure you rope a moose with a calf, more of a challenge.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:53 AM

Autumn is the best time of year for lassoing moose on horseback. Go for the ones with the biggest horns. It can be very difficult to get a moose around the neck with the lasso and you'll have much better luck if you try to snag one by the horn.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,633,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursing View Post
I have been searching the web and was wondering if anyone has tried farming moose in Alaska. Just wondering if there are any restrictions about rounding up moose on horse back. I would like to try and rope a moose from a horse if it is not illegal to do so . Any one care to team rope with me and try for a moose? I'm just curious and hope I haven't offended anyone for asking the question. LOL. Is not Alaska for the adventuress seekers.
On the off chance that this isn't a joke, you should know that moose are mean, mean, animals. A mad moose makes a bull look like a fuzzy white mouse. Make it a sow and throw in a few calves and you've got yourself the makings of a Treadwellesque bloodbath.
Furthermore, what you speak of is likely illegal. There are strict laws governing moose, including from where we may view them (not from an airplane!) to what potential acts of moose naughtiness may not occur in our streets.
Finally, yes, Alaska is potentially for adventure seekers. However, she has proven time and time again that she is not for stupid adventure seekers. I [hope] you are the former.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:59 AM

1,252 posts, read 109,906 times
cursing, have you been watching reruns of that old John Wayne movie, Hatari ?....

I'm afraid if I saw someone trying to rope a moose, I'd have to turn them in to Fish and Wildlife Protection.

Harassing game is illegal.

If anyone wanted to 'farm' moose, they'd have a hard time convincing anyone to give them a permit.

Though you can get a permit for musk oxen, bison, or reindeer that is lawfully owned, or an elk held under a valid game mammal farming license, the only 'raising' of moose is done at a Fish and Game Research site.

Quote:
5 AAC 92.029. (c) The department may not issue a permit for the capture, possession, import, or export of any game animal.
There is one 'wild game' park, but that permit was a bit of a boondoggle as the intended use of the permit was for rehabilitation of injured animals or orphaned animals, and was later amended to 'allow' it to turn into a tourist magnet.

Many years ago, people have had various success with moose as pets, as draft animals, etc.

But today, moose are off limits, they are restricted as game animals.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,997,022 times
The reindeer farm in Palmer has a couple moose. I think there are some loopholes that will let you farm moose. You will have to get the moose from another moose farm outside of Alaska I believe.

Call Tom Williams in Palmer if you are serious about it.

But as User said...you can't go out in the wild and lasso a moose, it's illegal. I'd get a real kick out of watching you try it though.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Well, this is a little known secret, but I do raise a couple of moose cows out back here. The milk makes excellent cheese, which Xa'at and I plan to serve at future open houses that we will be having when we get our winery up and running. Should be a few more years before global warming make the soil temps just right...of course we'll have to start with cool season grapes like Pinot but what the hell. The future ain't looking so bleak, Xa'at. Now if we can only get some of them cruise ships to dock at the Moose and Wine Farm....damn.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 AM

12 posts, read 31,193 times
User, I did think of the late movie Hatari, but I just thought it might be sort of a challenge to try and rope a moose. I've lived on ranch all my life and have roped plenty of cattle, steers and some pretty mean bulls, also a bison or two that wandered onto the property. I have worked with the BLM for rounding up wild mustangs and mules and then would tame the mustangs so they could be gentle enough to be auctioned to the public and fetch a decent price. I'm just debating of keeping my tac and gear or selling it before I head to Fairbanks, already sold off my horses. I was just wondering what it would be like roping a moose and maybe do some farming on the side if it can be done legally. I would consider doing this on the side from my regular job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska