Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,446 times

Advertisements

Appreciate the reply, though its kinda depressing... I would really just like to work on a boat. What maritime options are there besides the Navy and fishing (assuming that option has dead-ended)? I also thought about oil-rigging but I can't figure out how to start that process either.

I basically want to bypass the "job search" sites that offer no help. Maritime industries of choice for a college student?? (fun>pay at this point)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Career Opportunities - Royal Caribbean International

Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestake View Post
Appreciate the reply, though its kinda depressing... I would really just like to work on a boat. What maritime options are there besides the Navy and fishing (assuming that option has dead-ended)? I also thought about oil-rigging but I can't figure out how to start that process either.

I basically want to bypass the "job search" sites that offer no help. Maritime industries of choice for a college student?? (fun>pay at this point)
You might interested in something like this.

Quote:
The job of the quality control/deckhand worker will be to monitor salmon quality at the point- of-purchase. Quality Controllers will take fish temperatures, water surface temperatures, monitor fish quality, maintain paperwork and tag salmon for a quality-tracking project. Quality control workers will be trained to indentify the different grades of salmon.
Highlighted Job | Snopac Products - Quality-Control/Deckhand positions available on Alaskan vessels | CoolWorks.com (http://www.coolworks.com/snopac-products/highlighted-job/820-quality-control-deckhand-positions-available-on-al - broken link)

It does say on their main website that you need to take the application directly to their offices in Seattle but if you gave them a call I bet they would accept it if mailed. They pay round trip from Seattle to AK. It wouldn't exactly be fishing but pretty close and could lead to getting to know some of the captains for possible future work.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 10,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Buy a one way ticket to Dutch Harbor and go from there!
Do NOT buy a one way ticket to Dutch anyone!!!!!
I know this may be later than op but if anyone wanting to do this can read this dont do it!!!! I lived in DH for 12 years although I was not a fisherman I was in close relations work wise with that life. My husband although was a fisherman and he and I both agree on one thing. Wild crazy fishing(crab of course) is OUT....I knowq many crab fishermen whom have tanked and never seem to make any money. When I first went there it was the last opilio season before quotas and the money was soooo good even for me I was in service industry but now it is awful. And like someone else said you never see your family. Crazy crazy life. The best way in my opinion is if you are single and have no children is to go to Seattle and try for a boat that does rocessing like Trident, American Seafoos, Enterprises, Arctic there are a ton and they all hire out of Seattle. They also have taken a hit but at least it is stable and also you are off more than the typical fisherman and they also get unemployment while not working. But if you have a family it is not worth it to me. Myhusband also had to give it up and he took a while to adjust as it was in his blood but he is soooo happy he did that.

Please noone buy a ticket to Dutch, after Deadliest Catch started a lot of guys would show up and get stuck thee I felt so bad for them, tickets are expensive and there isnt much hotels or options if getting stuck. It would be far better getting stuck in Seattle than Dutch!

Old 03-20-2011, 01:01 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,360,781 times
The Jobs I come across for Alaska has always been with http://www.coolworks.com
they have on line applications for hotel resorts and take applications in January and hire the next month. This would get you in the right door of Alaska. I done it four times already. Look for the section state of Alaska.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:08 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Now, more than ever, it is critically important for young people to go to college, or at least enroll in trade school. While Alaska seems to still have it's share of jobs which require little education, the halcyon days of plentiful high paid, low-skill, jobs are gone. Even those in my generation (late 30's, early 40's) who once made lots of money without an education, are finding that they're losing their well-paying jobs, and there's nothing out there to replace them. What's scary is that some may never find decent paying jobs again. Even worse, some may never work again. It's that bad.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,275 times
Default Fishing

what about the fishing company of Alaska in Seattle?

Old 07-20-2013, 02:24 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashek37 View Post
what about the fishing company of Alaska in Seattle?
This thread is a few years old, they may have already gone bankrupt, changed names or still doing business as normal.

Google them for current info.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
The sad thing, is that NomadicBears post is still accurate today. We still can't say there are alot of good jobs out there and there is hope for us 30-40 somethings that have a college degree and lost our jobs.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
If you have a college degree you should be pounding on the petroleum operators doors. There is so much drilling/workovers/completions going on all over the planet right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska