Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 05:44 PM

18,353 posts, read 26,479,237 times

Advertisements

HJR 27 - State Sovereignty -- 26th AK Legislature House Majority

Now for that firearms made in AK bill to pass...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,238,519 times
Cool

Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Excellent!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:55 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,223,572 times
Pretty cool. Like that a lot.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
While I completely agree with the sentiments behind the legislation, the text of the bill has a small problem. The original text of the HJR 27 says:

Quote:
BE IT RESOLVED that the Alaska State Legislature hereby claims sovereignty for the state under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States over all powers not otherwise enumerated and granted to the federal government by the Constitution of the United States;
What was left out of the above text is that portion of the 10th Amendment where it acknowledges that certain powers are specifically prohibited to the States, such as those powers listed under Article I, Sections 9 and 10.

Also, the following text of the bill refers to federal mandates:

Quote:
FURTHER RESOLVED that this resolution serves as Notice and Demand to the federal government, as our agent, to cease and desist, effective immediately, mandates that are beyond the scope of these constitutionally delegated powers;
Unfunded federal mandates was already ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court in Printz v. United States 521 US 98 (1997).

It should also be noted that just because the US Supreme Court rules a particular law unconstitutional, it does not mean that Congress will enact a constitutional law. As we are seeing now with Pelosi and Obama resurrecting the Assault Weapon Ban Act of 1994, they are completely ignoring the recent ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller 554 US 290 (2008).

Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
HJR 27 - State Sovereignty -- 26th AK Legislature House Majority

Now for that firearms made in AK bill to pass...
HJR 27 has only passed the House. It has now been sent to the Senate.

Besides... it's a House Joint Resolution, and has no effect whatever if it passes.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,854,040 times
Well, good luck with that, I do agree that it is about time someone challenged big government, I believe they have usurped more power than they can rightfully lay claim to, slowly chipping away at matters that, constitutionally speaking, belong to the states.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
HJR 27 has only passed the House. It has now been sent to the Senate.

Besides... it's a House Joint Resolution, and has no effect whatever if it passes.
It's the sentiment that counts, and just the first step. Next step: the Alaskan-made guns bill...

What's nice is that so many states are headed down this road to confront the feds.

But then DHS says everyone who favors state and local control over federal control, and who oppose gun control, and so forth, are "right-wing extremists."

Old 04-15-2009, 01:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's the sentiment that counts, and just the first step. Next step: the Alaskan-made guns bill...

What's nice is that so many states are headed down this road to confront the feds.

But then DHS says everyone who favors state and local control over federal control, and who oppose gun control, and so forth, are "right-wing extremists."
Be careful. If you disagree with our Affirmative Action President you will find yourslef on the official Obama Enemies List and may find yourself tossed into that FEMA Camp outside of Fairbanks that is suppose to be able to hold 2 million "right-wing extremists". Oh, wait, you are heading up there anyway. At least you won't have to go far.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Be careful. If you disagree with our Affirmative Action President you will find yourslef on the official Obama Enemies List and may find yourself tossed into that FEMA Camp outside of Fairbanks that is suppose to be able to hold 2 million "right-wing extremists". Oh, wait, you are heading up there anyway. At least you won't have to go far.
Well, given all the recent homeland security documents getting leaked out saying essentially that everyone who doesn't support O and his far-left ideology is an "extremist," "terrorist," etc., I must say I'm proud to be a right wing extremist, and I'll be d*mned if I'm gonna go to some government camp. When they start rounding everyone up for the concentration camps, I'll get my militia (I am a Ron Paul supporter afterall) together to free everyone. Such a pity you're so far South or I'd let you join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska