U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,732 times

Advertisements

Morning People!

My Fiance got a call last night and was offered a good job in King Salmon, AK. It's a place that we've always wanted to go so we're very excited about it. I have an 8 yr old son that will be moving up there with us and his 8 yr old son will be coming just to visit. Anyway, I've been trying to do a search for apartments or anything that we can live in and am coming up empty!
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find us an affordable place to stay? And what is considered affordable for up there? We're in small town Alabama so I'm expecting it to be different -
TIA!
Christina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:20 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,267,054 times
Hmm, I was looking over topics on this site, and came across "King Salmon" and was surprised someone was talking about it! I was there a couple of times in 1995! My best friend and I went to Alaska to work on a salmon processing boat. It was just for about 8 weeks in the summer. Anyway, I just saw the tiny airstrip and several ramshackle "shacks" and cabins. I'm not sure of the population, but I'd bet it's under 5,000 people for sure. It's super remote! I remember the plane ride from Anchorage to King Salmon being around 2 hours or so (maybe slightly more or less--can't exactly recall). The terrain was somewhat flat but very green, since we went in the summer. It was drizzling and overcast. Tons of pine trees and small bushes. Definitely grizzly bear country. Sorry I couldn't help you with housing, but I'd recommend taking a look at craigslist, and if you come up short there, see if they have a chamber of commerce for King Salmon town. Best of luck.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:46 AM

428 posts, read 2,217,442 times
Definitely call the employer and ask. I'm not aware of any apartment buildings up that way. Some employers have temp housing, i.e. fish processors, other housing is permanent residents. The new employer should be able to put you in touch w/ a rental owner or someone who has a place for sale. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 19,450 times
Default I may need a place to stay...

Hello, my name is James Waggoner. I have been in college for only one year now but to pay for it, I had to work full time... not good. ha I was doing poorly in school and poorly at my job (spreading myself thin.) Well, I have had a few friends that have gone fishing in bristol bay. If I did that, it could completely pay for my next year of college... so i am pretty determined to do so. I do not currently have a job lined up, but i bought my plane ticket already with hopes of landing a job. I arrive on the 11th (about a week before the boats go out) and for that time, i will have nowhere to stay. I am 19 years old, very clean and respectful, and in need of a place to stay. A garage or shed or something would be more than great. So if anyone knows of someone who might be interested, please get back to me. Thank you!
-James Waggoner

Old 06-03-2008, 05:50 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,552,497 times
james you'll most likely find fishing work in Naknek. You'll land in King Salmon and have to get a ride to Naknek. The local canneries may pick you up if no boats do. Good luck with that. Getting yourself out there will say alot about yor determination and can work in your favor. Just don't think your gonna walk right into a fishing job tho. It's a very remote location and most captains will fly out there with crew in tow or have crew lined up before they go.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Default thanks

thanks for the tips Rance. So when I arrive in king salmon, do you think it will be tough to find someone to give me a ride to naknek?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:13 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,552,497 times
Nope. Just start down the road and thumb it. Might be a good start at finding work. Or a cab if they have them. But I'm sure the first truck to go by you will at least stop and let you ride in the back. I can't remember the distance from KS to Naknek. 5 or 10 miles. I haven't been there since 1986 myself.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Great. thanks again!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 PM

16,171 posts, read 27,428,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviationhero View Post
Morning People!

My Fiance got a call last night and was offered a good job in King Salmon, AK. It's a place that we've always wanted to go so we're very excited about it. I have an 8 yr old son that will be moving up there with us and his 8 yr old son will be coming just to visit. Anyway, I've been trying to do a search for apartments or anything that we can live in and am coming up empty!
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find us an affordable place to stay? And what is considered affordable for up there? We're in small town Alabama so I'm expecting it to be different -
TIA!
Christina
Well, all I can tell you about King Salmon is that you may want to ask yourself the reason why your fiance got such a good job and not one of the locals. In other words, make sure that that the new job will be good enough to cover the higher cost of living. Other than that, maybe you can get an idea about King Salmon by searching on the Internet, but hopefully somebody from King Salmon can chime in. It's also possible that your fiance really landed a good job.

I found this site you may want to look at:
Alaska.com | Other cities & towns
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2008 at 07:00 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,186 times
Christina - I just happened upon this site as I was trying to find out more about Katmai. Yes, I am considering moving up there, too and wondered how you made out. Are you still in Ozark, AL or did you make it to King Salmon. I'm in Birmingham, AL right now - - - holler back either way - - - Rachel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska